Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
LetFreeMarketsReign wrote:
Face it like in WW1 they were doomed even before the war started.

I like this matter of fact attitude. Because everyone back then saw the signs.

Filed under "Hindsight is 20/20."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nazis lost before they even started.

Their entire nation was ideology driven fueled by murder of Jews and selected discrimination of certain ethnic groups. They lost one of their most talented scientist by the name of duh... Albert Einstein. If they didn't have a racist kill-Jews mentality and went straight with "make Germany great again" expansionist philosophy Einstein could have been working for Germany.

Moreover, eventually even if Hitler had stopped right after the defeat of France, the crushing weight of the endless resources the British Empire and the United States had would have destroyed their economy.

Furthermore Stalin was going to attack eventually. Maybe in 1943 maybe 1944 but definitely he was not going to let Hitler just sit back and dominate all of Europe with his laptop Mussolini and that Romanian guy.

Face it like in WW1 they were doomed even before the war started.

Soooo, you mean it wasn't the 'rock-paper-scissors' thing after all?.... dang, and here I thought the OP had it nailed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

'What-if' history.....

Uh oh - he's getting the hang of it now - good job it didn't go to penalties.

Rock beats........

"Scissors cut everything, don't they?"

"Not stone, sir."

"They're very good scissors--"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it wasn't the rock-paper-scissors debacle (which I still think is the leading candidate for the Nazi loss), then I will defer to the reason given by Claus von Staffenberg:

If our most highly qualified General Staff officers had been told to work out the most nonsensical high level organization for war which they could think of, they could not have produced anything more stupid that that which we have at present.
Claus von Stauffenberg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me state this mathematically: Attempt a winter offensive against Russia=YOU LOSE.

Haven't you grognards seen The Princess Bride? It's Classic Blunder #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davepanzer wrote:
"Scissors cut everything, don't they?"

"Not stone, sir."

"They're very good scissors--"

They're German scissors, Swine. They're Wusthof! Retract your anti-Aryan statement immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nazis lost before they even started.

But somehow they managed to conquer most of Europe before this... ah... became apparent.

Quote:
Furthermore Stalin was going to attack eventually. Maybe in 1943 maybe 1944 but definitely he was not going to let Hitler just sit back and dominate all of Europe with his laptop Mussolini and that Romanian guy.

As entertaining as it is to imagine Mussolini as a computer, I think you mean lapdog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
caradoc wrote:
A T-Shirt company here in Australia was going to make a T-Shirt with this on it (or similar), but were stopped for some reason I can't recall.

Would have been more amusing than the pithy tops you see wandering around now.

Cheers,

Giles.

Probably because there was some swastikas on the picture...

See no evil, hear no evil, etc.. shake

No, I don't even think it was that. This was the image from what I can find:

Seems silly to ban it or to complain about it muchly given scissors beats paper!

Anyway - mine is not to wonder why...

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen far more overtly offensive things than that on T-shirts...I think that one is just clever...maybe the mere fact that Hitler is depicted is the offense...is there a law here in Oz that I don't know about?...I know they have them in Germany...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because of the nazi salute that's 'discouraged'. It'll sure bring strong objections from the Jews. Not that I blame them, they've got 6 million reasons to object. So maybe is not about politically correctness but perhaps exercising some cultural sensitivities? *shrugs*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daecon wrote:
Probably because of the nazi salute that's 'discouraged'. It'll sure bring strong objections from the Jews. Not that I blame them, they've got 6 million reasons to object. So maybe is not about politically correctness but perhaps exercising some cultural sensitivities? *shrugs*

I think this is what it was. I don't think it was the result of a law, but rather a concern/complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
daecon wrote:

I think this is what it was. I don't think it was the result of a law, but rather a concern/complaint.

Yes,I'd say you're both right...it's just a pity that what I presume to be the point of the message it delivers is passed over..that is that the fanatic in the uniform (Adolf) is defeated by the ordinary man in the funny hat (Winston)...or am I reading too much into it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As any student of history knows, the real reason they lost, is of course, George:

Banjo > Oompah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We Aussies are not that easily offended. I saw a girl recently in a major shopping centre wearing a tight T-shirt with the words "Suck On These" written across her chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andywhite wrote:
We Aussies are not that easily offended. I saw a girl recently in a major shopping centre wearing a tight T-shirt with the words "Suck On These" written across her chest.

Ah, but if Oz is like most other countries in the Western world, there's offensive, and then there's offensive with Nazis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
andywhite wrote:

Ah, but if Oz is like most other countries in the Western world, there's offensive, and then there's offensive with Nazis.

Oh yes, there is that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
They lost because:

1. Hitler thought he knew better how to win the war than his Generals and Professional Officers. Always listen to your experts. War is a team effort, not an ego trip.

2. They started a two-front war without first securing Great Britain and putting a lock on the Atlantic Coast. Never start a two front war. They should have stopped at the coast, made a non-agression treaty with Great Britain, and turned eastward.

3. They never should have honored the Tri-axis pact and declared war on the United States. America was an isolationist nation at that time, there was an active Bundist movement within the U.S.along with many in Congress that supported Germany, and America would have strictly gone after Japan after Pearl harbour, since they would not have had the congressional support to go to war with Germany if Hitler had kept his mouth shut and not declared war on America. Awaking that "Sleeping Giant" was their biggest screw-up, especially since FDR went after Europe first and maintained a holding action in the Pacific until Europe was pretty much a done deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitler couldn't roll 6's to save his life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:

2. They started a two-front war without first securing Great Britain and putting a lock on the Atlantic Coast. Never start a two front war. They should have stopped at the coast, made a non-agression treaty with Great Britain, and turned eastward.

That is assuming GB would have taken such an agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andywhite wrote:

Now if you had tried to accept the invitation...THAAAAT would have been offensive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Putting on the ritz!
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Now don't inhale until the tip glows...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

Reminds me of "Axis and Allies: Express Edition"

Players roll 1 die per game. The CRT is:

1-3: you are the allies and therefore win the game.

4-6: you are the axis and therefore lose the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

He rolled out of his mind up until the Battle of Britain, so we could say the laws of probability were merely reasserting themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andywhite wrote:

Then the question is... did you? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Allies had an unbeatable strategy

Trumans Paper

Stalins Fist

Churchills Scissors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought they lost because the nazis were always paranoid about their deoderant running out. They seem to always lift up their arms, in public, and check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.