$30.00
Recommend
135 
 Thumb up
 Hide
241 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Dominion: Alchemy» Forums » News

Subject: Alchemy Cardlist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
With permission. . . the Alchemy cardlist:


P = Potion
C = Coin



Vineyard
Victory
1P
Worth 1 VP for every three Action cards in your deck (rounded down).


Alchemist
Action
1P3C
+2 Cards, +1 Action. When you discard this from play, you may put this on top of your deck if you have a Potion in play.


Potion
Treasure
4C
Worth 1 Potion


Possession
Action
1P6C
The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him. Any card he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at the end of turn.


Herbalist
Action
2C
+1 Coin, +1 Buy. When you discard this from play, you may put one of your Treasures from play on top of your deck.


Philosopher's Stone
Treasure
1P3C
When you play this, count your deck and discard pile. Worth 1 Coin per 5 Cards total between them (rounded down).


University
Action
1P2C
+2 Actions. You may gain an Action card costing up to 5 Coins.


Scrying Pool
Action-Attack
1P2C
+1 Action. Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice. Then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one that is not an Action. Put all of your revealed cards into your hand.


Transmute
Action
1P
Trash a card from your hand. If it is an. . . Action card, gain a Duchy; Treasure card, gain a Transmute; Victory card, gain a Gold.


Apothecary
Action
1P2C
+1 Card, +1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Coppers and Potions into your hand. Put the other cards back on top of your deck in any order.


Apprentice
Action
5C
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Plus 1 Card per Coin it costs. +2 Cards if it has a Potion in its cost.


Familiar
Action-Attack
1P3C
+1 Card, +1 Action. Each other player gains a Curse.


Golem
Action
1P4C
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Action cards other than a Golem card. Discard the other cards, then play the Action cards in either order.




Discuss.
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-posted from the other thread with this info:
Cashtool wrote:
Possession
Action
1P6C
The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him. Any card he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at the end of turn.

So, you finish your turn, you then gain control of your opponent's turn, and afterward said opponent gets a normal turn?

Presumably, unless there is something in the rules addressing it, you gain the benefit of any Durations in your opponent's play area for the turn you control their hand? And it follows to think that any durations you play from their hand grants the benefit on their normal turn immediately following the Possessed turn. I can see this being a very interesting (frustrating?) card.

I, for one, like it.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The potion thingy as an extra treasure is kinda freaky.
Basically Possession costs 10 coin.

Transmute is probably one of those cards which is going to get bought as soon as possible. Although it takes at least 5 turns to use it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so to me... looking at it...it seems like alot of so called crazy fan made cards made it into the set lol

what do you guys think would have happened if someone like me would have posted possession lmao.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be free, one must give up a little part of oneself
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:

what do you guys think would have happened if someone like me would have posted possession lmao.


I had the same reaction. XD If this was anyone but Donald X. that created this card, they would've gotten screamed at on the forums for Possession.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Potion-using cards are limited to this expansion, it's a pity that Herbalist has no direct connection to Potions.

I do like the way Vineyard, Philosopher's Stone and Scrying Pool allow for more action-heavy decks, and how Golem is a pseudo-Village (like Throne Room) that doesn't lead to giant 20-minute Village Idiot chains. Unfortunately University - shouldn't that be "University Village"? - fills that role.

Apothecary appears a good Coppersmith buff, which is great; Apprentice and Transmute are quite ingenious, introducing interesting conversions between the Dominion resources. Familiar looks very nasty if you can get a run of them but I'm sure that's the hard part.

I suspect Possession is a lot more sedate than it appears at first glance, ultimately similar in effect to Smugglers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S. G. Sorolla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ah Possession. Extra fun if whoever you are possessing also has a ton of deck-cycling actions and a Possession. Forget chaining actions ... chain whole turns!

Possession + Throne Room ...

I'm not this set was exactly designed to address the complaint that Dominion can boil down to long solitaire turns.

And actually, the way costs scale to value in treasure (0:1, 3:2, 6:3), Potions are worth a little over 2 coin (as revealed by the logic of Apprentice). They take a penalty for being a different "currency" than the other treasure.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poession is certainly interesting. Since it doesn't change card texts, presumably while my Opponent is posessed if I play Witch for him I still get a Curse. Rather more interesting is if I play Swindler for him- I get to swap the top card of my deck for something of equal cost, quite nice!

I guess they chose "player to your left" for Posession because "player to your right" would make Masquerade too powerful. In a 2 player game you can still have fun making your opponent's Ambassador return his Province s to the Supply!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So while taking a Possession turn, if you play Mine or Trading Post and gain a card that goes directly into your hand, I assume that card goes into your current hand and not the hand you're playing with at the time.

Philip Thomas wrote:
In a 2 player game you can still have fun making your opponent's Ambassador return his Province s to the Supply!

I wouldn't be surprised if in the instructions, the 'return to the supply' effect was considered a trashing effect for the purposes of Possession.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you play a Possession, and your opponent's hand has a Possession, can you then Possess the person on his left?
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
So if you play a Possession, and your opponent's hand has a Possession, can you then Possess the person on his left?

By the text as it's written, the player on your left would get to control that turn, not you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Philosopher's Stone looks way too clunky for my taste... I will probably track my deck size throughout the whole game while playing with it. It is really the only card that disappointed me at first glance.

On the other side of the spectrum, Vineyard is the new Gardens and I am really excited about the idea of making an action-heavy deck with it!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simantov
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possession. Ambassador Province.

Ouch.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
ejcarter wrote:
So if you play a Possession, and your opponent's hand has a Possession, can you then Possess the person on his left?

By the text as it's written, the player on your left would get to control that turn, not you.
This is how I read it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we still not know for sure how potions actually work, or did I miss that tidbit?

For example we're playing with Alchemy plus all other expansions and the base set mixed in, random set of 10 kingdom cards. One card has a potion in its cost, the rest don't. If potions work just like any other base treasure card, why would anyone clog their deck by buying potions that are only useful for buying that one card rather than another Silver which will help with buying the other 9?

This has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere; I'm just curious if we have an actual solid answer yet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blizzardb wrote:
Philosopher's Stone looks way too clunky for my taste... I will probably track my deck size throughout the whole game while playing with it. It is really the only card that disappointed me at first glance.

I suppose the assumption is that if you're playing with Alchemy cards, you're likely to be playing huge Action chains, so that most of your cards will be in hand or in play. Also, barring Black Market, you'll only have to count your cards once per turn, since you can only play Treasure cards during your Buy phase.

Still, it seems like it will be time-consuming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
blizzardb wrote:
Philosopher's Stone looks way too clunky for my taste... I will probably track my deck size throughout the whole game while playing with it. It is really the only card that disappointed me at first glance.


Remember that cards in your hand, and cards in play, and cards set aside, and cards on your native village mat and cards on your island mat, etc.... are not in your deck or your discards pile. It may actually be easier to simply count those cards when needed than try to track everything all game and then subtract what needs to not be counted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
Do we still not know for sure how potions actually work, or did I miss that tidbit?

For example we're playing with Alchemy plus all other expansions and the base set mixed in, random set of 10 kingdom cards. One card has a potion in its cost, the rest don't. If potions work just like any other base treasure card, why would anyone clog their deck by buying potions that are only useful for buying that one card rather than another Silver which will help with buying the other 9?

This has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere; I'm just curious if we have an actual solid answer yet.


I believe the rules actually suggest that you use 3-5 alchemy cards in your set of 10.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
A lot of these cards simply demand to be bought.

Agreed. I suppose they have a right to be powerful, since you have to clog up your deck with Potions in order to buy them.

Possession/Masquerade does seem really powerful in a 2-player game and very kingmakery in a game with more players. I wonder if there will be a special ruling for it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:
Philosopher's Stone
Treasure
1P3C
When you play this, count your deck and discard pile. Worth 1 Coin per 5 Cards total between them (rounded down).

Discuss.


Does anyone else think this might slow the game down a tad?
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
I believe the rules actually suggest that you use 3-5 alchemy cards in your set of 10.

This is actually Alchemy's biggest disappointment for me, and something that I was worried about from the beginning. One of the biggest draws of Dominion is that you can throw together any random set of cards and have a reasonably good game. Potions really seem to throw a wrench in that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
banyan wrote:
Do we still not know for sure how potions actually work, or did I miss that tidbit?

For example we're playing with Alchemy plus all other expansions and the base set mixed in, random set of 10 kingdom cards. One card has a potion in its cost, the rest don't. If potions work just like any other base treasure card, why would anyone clog their deck by buying potions that are only useful for buying that one card rather than another Silver which will help with buying the other 9?

This has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere; I'm just curious if we have an actual solid answer yet.


I believe the rules actually suggest that you use 3-5 alchemy cards in your set of 10.


It does look like that's how Roger used them. That's a little annoying, but I guess it works.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone:

Yes, I think this could slow down the game a bit. Although not by too much - you simply count the cards as fast as you can, whenever you hit the 5 threshold you count "1...2..." and if you play another Stone during your turn I guess you wouldn't have to count again. But I'm not really thrilled with an idea of a Stone-heavy game.

Possession is something I would like to test. Ambassadoring a Province would be hurtful, and is the closest to a targeted Attack Dominion ever got - unless Ambassador is a special case with Possession and putting back in the supply counts as trashing. What worries me more is that things could get really confusing really fast with such a card (throning comes to mind, as usual), so I eagerly expect some session reports with it.

Overall I am still a bit on the fence whether I want this set, or should I skip it and see what Prosperity brings. It seems very fiddly and game-dragging. But again, it's hard to judge based on card description alone..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
asmiles wrote:
banyan wrote:
Do we still not know for sure how potions actually work, or did I miss that tidbit?

For example we're playing with Alchemy plus all other expansions and the base set mixed in, random set of 10 kingdom cards. One card has a potion in its cost, the rest don't. If potions work just like any other base treasure card, why would anyone clog their deck by buying potions that are only useful for buying that one card rather than another Silver which will help with buying the other 9?

This has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere; I'm just curious if we have an actual solid answer yet.


I believe the rules actually suggest that you use 3-5 alchemy cards in your set of 10.


It does look like that's how Roger used them. That's a little annoying, but I guess it works.



Potions are added to the Supply whenever you use Alchemy cards in your set of ten kingdom cards and in circumstances involving Black Market being used.






1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rules are going to recommend 3 to 5 Alchemy cards in each set that includes any, they might also recommend that in sets without Alchemy the Black Market deck be free of Alchemy cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.