Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington’s War: A CDG (Card Driven Game) war game replicating the American Revolutionary War. It is a reboot of one of the original CDG’s We the People.

First off I will not go into the rules of the game here. They have been restated numerous times with considerably more skill, clarity and precision then I would be able to in other posts on this site so what I will do is answer the questions I normally ask someone when I’m about to play or buy a game for the first time.

Conclusion(for those not wanting to read the whole thing): A great light CDG war game that I enjoy a great deal. It is not however a war-heavy, war game. You don’t move large armies around the board trying to envelop or flank the enemy and a lot of the details of the conflict is abstracted through the use of cards and political control markers. So if you want a meaty war game then this is not for you. This is however a great place to start if your thinking war games might be something you’re interested in.

How many players can play? 2.

What is the quality of the components (bang for the buck)? Very good, Exceptional compared to standard GMT fare. It comes with a nice heavy 4 folded mounted board representing the 13 original colonies and Canada. It also comes with stand up figures for generals, nice thick counters, and a ton of cards. My only complaint would be how thick the cards are, they are thick enough that it makes shuffling a bit of a chore but that is a minor gripe compared to how visually appealing the game is.

How easy is it to learn? Moderate - easy depending on how well you read war game type rulebooks and your familiarity with CDGs in general. The rulebook is great as a reference guide but as a learning tool it is not as good as a lot of the euro type rulebooks out there. The example of play booklet that comes with the game however makes it much easier then it would have been without it. The major difficulties you will have in learning the game will be the exceptions. Learning the basics is fairly easy learning how the two sides differ is the learning curve. It is about as hard to learn as Twilight Struggle but much easier then say Paths of Glory.

How long does it take?
90 min – 2 hours, the box says 90 minutes but your first few games you will be looking up rules and errata so it will take you about a third longer then when you have the rules down pat.

What itch does this scratch? Light war game. This game fits perfectly into my love of light war/conflict games. It is a game that is conflict orientated but not armies oriented. You do move troops around a map but you spend much more time trying to gain the support of the people through the use of the PC area control mechanisms.

What is the replay value? Very good, As in most CDG’s what you can do on any given turn will be completely different based on the hand you were dealt as well as the actions of your opponents. It might be possible for there to be an Optimal long term strategy for each force but short term it will play different every time

Does this game reward skill or is it a pure luck fest? This game rewards skillfull hand management and long term planning but at the same time the luck of the draw as well as the roll of the dice do play a role. The luck can be mitigated and should not be the determining factor in any game.

In Conclusion: I really enjoyed this game.and think it is probably one of the best and intense light CDG’s out there and ranks right below Twilight Struggle in that regards. If you enjoy moving battalions and companies in the intricate dance of war this game is not for you. If you enjoy zero sum information games in which you can plan 10 turns ahead with very little deviations or the joy of building a well creating economic engine then this game is not for you. However if you enjoy a nice light conflict heavy area majority game with a very good historical feel then you will enjoy this one very much. This is an ideal starting or ending point in the CDG world and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys war games or would love to start enjoying war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job of a concise and useful review. I liked the original and believe this is a worthy reprint. I like the combat system much better than the old battle cards.

I'm not sure yet what I think about having kept the separation of Ops from Event cards. I think that combining them a la Hannibal works better. I realize that you are now given things to do with "useless" event cards but those options and the "scooping" of discards seems a bit fiddly when simply combining Ops with Events would have been so much simpler.

Still overall, I believe the game will fit a nice niche that few other CDGs can claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful what you discard last too, you forgot that partshakecry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
Hover mouse over badge for 100 seconds to gain 100 GeekGold
badge
Click to format C:\
mbmbmbmbmb
this is the kind of review I like to read. It tells so much more about the game and answers the right questions. Well done. Your inspiring work earned you a bit of gg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
adebisi wrote:
this is the kind of review I like to read. It tells so much more about the game and answers the right questions. Well done. Your inspiring work earned you a bit of gg.

whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmb
The game reminds me of the wargames of the 70s from Avalon Hill that had very low counter density and played in 90 minutes. The difference being this Washington's War has a lot more historical depth.

Short wargames are often like eating a low calorie brownie. Yeah you saved on calories but in the end you just don't feel like you really treated yourself. Washington's War may not be a 4 hour long wargame but tastes like a real chocolate brownie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent review! Very well done - if I had any Geek Gold I'd definitely hit you up! A great read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Short wargames are often like eating a low calorie brownie. Yeah you saved on calories but in the end you just don't feel like you really treated yourself. Washington's War may not be a 4 hour long wargame but tastes like a real chocolate brownie.

While I feel Harvest of Death: The Second Day at Gettysburg a real chocolate brownie, I don't feel the same for Washington's War. I feel hollowed and not chromed enough by the game. The few units up north and how to best use Washington for a generally skirmishing campaign are the major puzzles to solve. Other than that, the game depicts largely a positional warfare won by the Americans like what you are trying to achieve in a game of Go. I am not saying it is not a good game. But its simulation value is of doubt when the communication line "sways" that much of political influence over the attitudes of the 13 colonies. Yep, I like to play this once in a while. But repeated plays in a short span of time wear it out for its charm of a real brownie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.