Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games that is hard to review as there are so few Victorian era boardgames available. Remember Gordon is from Phoenix Enterprises)now defunct) and isn't exactly the easiest game to find.

Components
When I first opened the box I immediately thought of some of the old GDW games I've owned over the years! The map and graphic styles are very similar with the one map covering most of Omdurman, the Nile, and the surrounding area. There is a smaller map that is used for the Khartoum game. The counters are functional, but they won't win any graphics awards with the various Dervish tribes in different colors. The rule book is again in the GDW style and is pretty easy to work through.

Rules/Combat
The sequence of play and movement are pretty standard. If you've played a lot of wargames you'll be able to get into this quickly. The combat system is pretty interesting, relying on a cross-indexing type of chart for what type of troops are firing, what they're firing, and the range. Maxim guns and some artillery pieces can fire twice in a turn. The combat tables are particularly bloody if you mass fires as the results are either units are disrupted or a number of units killed in the hex. Leaders don't really do much in the game, but I did like the addition of gunboats in the game as they were very critical in the historical outcome.

Scenarios
The game comes with two scenarios and a campaign game. The first is the actual attack on the city of Khartoum in 1885 and is played on the smaller map with around 50 counters. In my opinion this is best played solitaire as the defender gets overwhelmed pretty quickly and it really isn't a very good game other than as a learning experience. Likewise for the Omdurman scenario in 1898 where the deadly Anglo-Egyptian firepower pretty much slaughters the Dervishes as they try to attack. However, the campaign game is actually pretty good as it begins a few days before the actual battle. The Anglo-Egyptian army shows up in bits and pieces, leaving the Dervish side a lot of options about how to attack and conduct the battle.

Overall
This is really a game for those who have an interest in the period and it does play well solitaire. For an older game it's not bad, but avoid the two scenarios and focus on the campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Kitchen
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been some time since I played this one but as I recall, there are optional rules that even up the battle of Omdurman. I recommend giving the Dervishes the optional artillery that they could have used (deployed in redoubts), as well as the free set up that lets the Dervishes defend in the city. The Anglo-Egyptian Army has to battle through the streets after penetrating a row of redoubts and the battle gets much more even as the Dervishes can use their superior melee strength. I have read that Kitchener was concerned about the possibility of having to fight in the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.