Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Postcard From the Revolution is a simple wargame that covers the engagement at Chad's Ford during the Battle of Brandywine, and the Battle of Germantown. Both were British victories, nullified by Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga.

Gameplay (20 out of 28): Postcard From the Revolution uses the classic hex and counter system that any wargaming grognard has at least some acquaintance with. In this case the game is small and has fewer units. The units have four ratings: firepower, defense, range, and movement. Each turn a side can move and/or fire with two units, so the game avoids the 'everyone can move symptom' that I think mars Blue & Gray. The game plays quickly, but the lack of maneuver space makes most of the fights direct affairs. This and the low unit count goes hand in hand with small games like these, but I must say, Mike DeSanto has done an admirable job making things interesting.

Tactical (3 out of 5): With the player having a limit on activations, you are forced to manage your forces properly. In this respect the game simulates the limits of command, although the lack of variation gives it a restricted feel. You won;t have a trn where none of your units move, or where half you army comes screaming down the pike.

Accessibility (5 out of 5): You don't get much simpler than this game.

Components (3 out of 5): The VASSAL module game looks pretty good. The graphics are not period invoking, but pleasing to the eye. I like how the units feature unit names. Outside of this, the graphics are pretty much up to the maker, since this is do it yourself game.

Brandywine VASSAL Module:

Originality (0 out of 2): there are no original ideas here, but what did you expect.

Historical Quality (3 out of 5): The limits upon units in terms of movement and firing is a simple and effective way to simulate command limitations. In addition, Germantown has rules for fog, which can limit movement. Also some terrain prevents or limits movement, and then there is the Chew House, which is a defensive strong point. Brandywine only has terrain rules, but there is more of it and it really dictates play. While always being able to move two units is sort of artificial, all around I'd say both games do a good job of simulating this conflict within a small package.

Overall (34 out of 50): I know this review is sort, but honestly I wanted to throw a bit of light on this game. It is not a great game, but as far as postcard games go, this is the only one I had some interest in. It is a perfect grognard travel game.

Just Because it is Print and Play, Doesn't Mean it Won't Look Good:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.