Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
511 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: Austin War of the Ring Day X: The Return of the Dark Lord; Aug 24 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! WE are happy to announce our tenth installment of our Long Expected Party in the capital of Texas!

This a yearly long-expected party with multiple opportunities to play War of the Ring in the Austin area, which I cater with fine food (smoked barbeque by G. Johnson). We spend a day remembering that "Where there's life there's hope, as my Gaffer used to say; and need of vittles, as he mostways used to add." We love seeing our friends here, and first timers are also welcome. It's how we meet new friends!

In the meantime, if you haven't played and are in the Austin area we're always happy to find time to teach you. So feel free to drop a Geekmail to tvdinner or myself and we'll set something up!

If you'd like a better idea of what our events are like, I'd encourage you to read one of the session reports. This one is good too!

Original post was as follows:

tallgrant wrote:
We've had a fairly successful thread on Republic of Rome for several months. That led to a play at Give to Game where we met a lot of nice folks in the greater Austin area.

There were a large number of people who expressed an interest in War of the Ring that day. It was also surprising because we met at least 2 folks who owned a copy and haven't found an opponent. One of the ideas I'd pitched that day was organizing a War of the Ring Day and this seemed to be as good a place as any to see if there was still interest. IT's my top rated game and I always enjoy teaching/playing it. And if it went over well enough I'd love to organize a tournament once everyone's got their feet wet.

We don't really have a weekend in mind yet but I figured it'd be good to start a discussion and gauge the interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any interest in Austin for War of the Ring
I have a strong interest in learning to play War of the Ring. Are you willing to teach people? If so, I'll gladly come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that was part of the idea. I figured we'd have a day where it's mostly teaching (i.e. pairing beginners up with folks who've played before) and getting the basics down. And then some sort of follow-up a month or so later where we try to get it more competitively. I do enjoy teaching this one!

My regular gaming group ultimately has two sets of the game so we could theoretically take up to 8 people. It's not bad as a 4 player game when you're teaching, but it does play better with two and we'd probably be better off having the games set up as 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I could be interested in this; I own the game (and expansion) & would love to play it more as it's been far too long since I've played.

BTW I've tried playing it with more than 2 players & really dislike the structure of the game; a lot of the tension & strategy is wasted by the split team.

My one caveat is I'm busy most weekend mornings (and Mother's Day!) but I'm definitely interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we have done four it has only been for teaching. Pair a new player with someone experienced. Ignore the separated powers and play with one hand of cards. That way the new players have someone to point out early mistakes and help with the strategies. There's a competitive game and the learners get to avoid some of the strategic pitfalls (like leaving Isengard empty, not moving the Fellowship, leaving Dol Goldur empty, leaving the Fellowship revealed, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning via a team of beginner and mentor worked for Laurie and myself, at least for the basics.

We could certainly try a WotR evening. Completely free weekends for long sessions are getting scarce, June is already completely hosed and I think July just filled up last night. Sunday nights on work weekends could work, but that's probably getting ahead of ourselves.

I bet an experienced player could throw down the gauntlet in front of Grant and either demand a play or demand he take away his 10 rating. devil

I think a game would fit on the coffee table with side tables so we could easily get two games going here. More with the usual card and folding tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Reichenau
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to finally get to play WotR! It's been mocking me, unplayed, from the shelf since the day it came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in San Antonio and would come up for a WotR Day or tournament. I have friend down here who is my usual opponent and he would probably be willing to come, too, but he'd need to know the date at least a month in advance.

I'm happy to help teach and be a partner for a new player.

Thanks for organizing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Earls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I live in Dallas and would be interested in some kind of Saturday event for WOTR. I own CE and my buddy owns the regular game, so he might be interested as well. If we can get enough notice, I bet we would come down to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to see the interest for this and to hopefully get a chance to play this game for the first time. I'll throw in that Sundays do not work for me, so if it can be another day I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys, it was great meeting you guys a few weeks ago at "Give to Game".

I would certainly be interested in doing something, being a WotR beginner and all.

My weekends are pretty much full until school/little-league/cubs scouts all wind down at the end of May. After that there's not much on the calendar. I do have open dates on May 15th and May 29th with nothing planned for now.

I'll keep tabs on this thread as more information is developed.

David. (Pflugerville)

Has Grant played his copy of "Conquest of the Empire" yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are expecting a daughter late May, so I'd like to vote for late June or sometime in July if possible. My wife's family lives across the street, so I'm reasonably sure I can get a day off, but there's no chance that will happen until then.

And, no, it's not "Everybody Loves JohnnyOffice," even though everybody does, indeed, love JohnnyOffice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the teaching day that is popping out is May 8 if we do a Saturday. There's a bit more flexibility if we plan for an evening game (say like May 7 or possibly May 14), but my other commitments may make that tricky. So we'll stick with a beginner friendly first day, and then start planning for some sort of tourney set-up.

It also occurs to me that if we really want to go all-out nuts we can schedule matches and spread it over a few months (i.e. one match per session with a tourney organized format determining the next one). Would be somewhat fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Well, the teaching day that is popping out is May 8 if we do a Saturday. There's a bit more flexibility if we plan for an evening game (say like May 7 or possibly May 14), but my other commitments may make that tricky. So we'll stick with a beginner friendly first day, and then start planning for some sort of tourney set-up.

It also occurs to me that if we really want to go all-out nuts we can schedule matches and spread it over a few months (i.e. one match per session with a tourney organized format determining the next one). Would be somewhat fun!

What time are you considering for May 8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Times are completely open for discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I should be able to do May 8th - busy in the morning, free from noon onwards. Happy to bring my copy of the game.

Quote:
When we have done four it has only been for teaching. Pair a new player with someone experienced. Ignore the separated powers and play with one hand of cards. That way the new players have someone to point out early mistakes and help with the strategies. There's a competitive game and the learners get to avoid some of the strategic pitfalls (like leaving Isengard empty, not moving the Fellowship, leaving Dol Goldur empty, leaving the Fellowship revealed, etc.).

Gotcha! So really still playing it as one side vs one side, just with two players sharing strategy. That makes much more sense than the regular 4 player game as a learning experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May 8th might work for me. But only in the afternoon. I have a little league game at 11:00am and it will go until about 12:30pm.

Of course I need to confirm the date with my personal social director as well. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Times are completely open for discussion.

My only issue on time on May 8th is the evening as I will be attending the Round Rock Express game with my sons. I have to be to the stadium by 6pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't do May 8th at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sharp
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certainly intersted in playing some WotR! Just let me know when and where. I have a pretty flexible schedule as long as I know a few days in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Reichenau
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't do May 8th either. Oh well, maybe next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As beautiful as May 8 looks to me it is seeming impractical for quite a few others. Would Friday May 7 or Friday May 14 be better from a scheduling perspective?

For those of you wondering our location will be northwest Austin. Not sure how much difference that makes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
As beautiful as May 8 looks to me it is seeming impractical for quite a few others. Would Friday May 7 or Friday May 14 be better from a scheduling perspective?

For those of you wondering our location will be northwest Austin. Not sure how much difference that makes.

Either day will work for me. Thanks for the efforts to set this up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:

Those would probably work for me too. It's a work day, so it would have to be after working hours (after 4:00pm or so)

I still need to check in with my personal domestic social director and make sure the calendar is clear. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would definitely be an evening affair. I also work during the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] |