Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
511 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: Austin War of the Ring Day X: The Return of the Dark Lord; Aug 24 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmb
Re: Any interest in Austin for War of the Ring
After some discussion and thought, it may ultimately be easier if we plan a couple of teaching days for War of the Ring. That way we can give more individual attention and help the learners along. And it will fit more schedules, as we've had a good amount of interest from folks who want to learn. We can also start planning our War of the Ring Tournament and Extravaganza for later in the summer and let everyone get it on their schedules.

So....we are having a game night type event tomorrow night. And as I originally noted we're not playing War of the Ring enough sauron! If you're interested send a geekmail to me or tvdinner and we'll hook you up with things like directions and times.

I'm going to go ahead and commit right now for the big War of the Ring Tournament: I will be preparing some barbeque for it. May just be ribs and not brisket (brisket involves a long cook time that I'm reluctant to commit to) but what I make is usually pretty fantastic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, let's all encourage Grant to discover that his grill is too small!

Back on topic, if one or two of y'all, of any experience level, want to show up at tomorrow night's (Friday 30 Apr) gaming session for some WotR action, post or GM me and I'll send you the details. No set start time, whenever's convenient. We'll have something laying around to eat so ya can go either way on that too.

If we run a second game it might be on a pair of card tables that don't match height or the coffee table that's a few inches too short in the width department. Not sure what'll work best right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight doesn't work for me, but I am one of those wanting to learn the game. Let me know the next opportunity and I'll make plans for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chances are good I can swing a meet up tonight.

GM me the time and the address. Do I need to bring my copy of WotR?

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Unless we have any additional people who are coming, you probably don't need to bring it. Dick has his super-fancy copy and I'll be bringing mine along tonight as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Nice game by David tonight. I enjoyed the finish- he had 9 points (Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Pelargir, Erebor, Dol Amroth) and brought all 9 Nazgul with an army of Uruk Hai into the Shire to close it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ And Team Leban did a nice job with the Free People as well. Re-taking Dale (only prolonging the inevitable) and getting to step 1 of the Mordor track made it a good, close game. I was surprised how fast they got the fellowship down the map so fast.

Burning the Shire was fun (had to since I no longer had Dale). I had a fun the entire time. Can't wait to get my CE and play some more!

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
More WotR dates, organizing
Possible dates with guesses about people. If you're experienced, say if you're willing to teach in a paired game, want an experienced opponent, or willing to trounce a beginner (possibly being taught).

Sunday May 2 after 4:30 pm. Laurie, Dick. We'd be willing to host a game or two and work around whoever's able to show up. Late notice, but that's the way it works around here sometimes. Coffee table's 37.5 inches, that should work with care if the regular board is just under 41" wide. The big board goes on the nook table. No experienced teachers available as of now.

Friday May 7 after 4:30 pm. Laurie, Dick, Darin?, David? (guessing not both 7th and 8th you two). I suspect this will be our usual game night with Grant but we don't yet know. Time is just the earliest we could host, we usually just start whenever everybody's here.

Saturday May 8 after 12-1pm?. Laurie, Dick, Brian (after noon), David (after maybe 1pm, guessing not both 7th and 8th), Darin (guessing until 5pm, not both 7th and 8th). 1-5 looks like a decent time to get two games or one teaching game going. Laurie and I would be willing to continue afterwards too, even if we do something on the 7th. Maybe no experienced teachers present.

There's probably a better way to organize this but this'll work for now.

Chris, if the Big Day happens we can find you a bed if you want to avoid the long drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVDinner wrote:
Possible dates with guesses about people. If you're experienced, say if you're willing to teach in a paired game, want an experienced opponent, or willing to trounce a beginner (possibly being taught).

Sunday May 2 after 4:30 pm. Laurie, Dick. We'd be willing to host a game or two and work around whoever's able to show up. Late notice, but that's the way it works around here sometimes. Coffee table's 37.5 inches, that should work with care if the regular board is just under 41" wide. The big board goes on the nook table. No experienced teachers available as of now.

Friday May 7 after 4:30 pm. Laurie, Dick, Darin?, David? (guessing not both 7th and 8th you two). I suspect this will be our usual game night with Grant but we don't yet know. Time is just the earliest we could host, we usually just start whenever everybody's here.

Saturday May 8 after 12-1pm?. Laurie, Dick, Brian (after noon), David (after maybe 1pm, guessing not both 7th and 8th), Darin (guessing until 5pm, not both 7th and 8th). 1-5 looks like a decent time to get two games or one teaching game going. Laurie and I would be willing to continue afterwards too, even if we do something on the 7th. Maybe no experienced teachers present.

Chris, if the Big Day happens we can find you a bed if you want to avoid the long drive.

I can do May 7. I'll GM you for more specific information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dhshaw22 wrote:

Ugh, family stuff is looking like it'll get in the way of Saturday so I'm going to bow out now instead of dithering up until the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Earls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, If the part about Chris was directed at me, thanks! I appreciate the thought, but I don't think I will be able to make the date. I'll talk to my wife tomorrow. I have three games under my belt so I'm not an experienced player, but I know how to play and LOVE it.

TVDinner wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To be clear, the dates I posted above were just times when Laurie and I are available for some gaming, not Grant's big "Overload the BBQ" tourney day.

As of now the plan is to get Darin and Grant over here Friday night. Saturday seems like a bust. If you're anyone is interested, speak up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say thank you to Dick, Laurie, and Grant for a great time on Friday night. They were very patient while teaching me the game. I had a great time and look forward to doing it again. Always great to find nice gamers in the area. Thanks especially to Dick for awesome food and hospitality. Also to Grant for coaxing me through to a win for the Shadow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This is a friendly, end of month bump to say "No, we have not forgotten about War of the Ring."

I'm soliciting input as to dates right now. I'm still taking requests for education /practice games during June. Dick and Laurie will have some commitments that will keep them from hosting so you'll learn on my trusty first edition non-painted but gets the Ring dunked set.

I think the day we're leaning toward for a tournament is July 17 or July 31. Both of those dates fall on a Saturday so we can block it out for playing and I think work for our hosting it. So we'd be happy to get the discussion rolling so we can settle on a date and let everyone clear their calendars. Once we've got a better idea of the experience of whoever's attending we can look at what kind of format we want for the event (besides gratuitous play of the game!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Hello Austinites.
I am re engaging in board gaming of nearly all types. I would love to at least sit in on a learning session and share my beers with someone!
Glad to see such a vibrant community in Austin.

Love to learn this game, I played the old SPI's war of the ring for LOTR ages ago.

All the best.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kevin (and others), we'll get ya in, just keep an eye on this thread. As mentioned in various places, Laurie and I are rather busy until after the 4th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a copy of this, but I'd be very willing to play if you guys have a spot open. My girlfriend would be interested too I'm sure, but if not definitely me. I go to South Austin and North Austin game night, and would be willing to meet up anywhere to try this game out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
[snip]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the game of this last night, Shadowen! Had a blast & I would have won if it wasn't for those poxy eyes you kept rolling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept rolling those eyes, but I couldn't buy a lousy 5 or 6 in combat, my forces were getting slaughtered out there. It was pretty sloppy from a military stand point.

Yep it was a close one. I was expecting to lose right up until that last tile draw.

It was fun, and I think we learned a few things within the rules along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Alright, this has laid dormant long enough. Seeing as Dick's primary distraction is leaving town tomorrow we can get on with planning this thing.

My original suggested date was July 17. While I'd be totally gung-ho for this plan it doesn't give a lot of notice. Especially for out-of-towners. So I'm going to suggest an alternative date of August 14 for the Big War of the Ring Day. And it will be complete with homemade barbeque (to be eaten away from any copies of the game- my sauce is deliciously good and capable of staining components) and good times. My thought is we'd start something like mid-to-late morning and go long enough to get in 2-3 games per player.

What would be really useful is the following:

1. Names of people who are looking to attend. Both for gaming and for food purposes.
2. Whether you'd be able to bring a copy of this game. We fully understand that Collector's Edition copies need protection and won't travel, but we're shooting for 1 copy per two players present. So those who've got a the standard edition we'd appreciate if it comes with you!
3. Relative experience with War of the Ring. My intention was (depending on player numbers) to try and separate out the inexperienced players and more experienced players into their own groups. But that may vary depending on who all decides to come along.

Also, we should be able to provide more learner games in the interim. So don't hesitate to geekmail me if you'd like a tutorial session between now and then. I'd certainly be happy to teach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely still interested! And I'd love a refresher game or two before the "big day".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As hosts we're available 14 Aug. Or 17 Jul, but that's next weekend....

1) myself, Laurie
2) one copy
3) I'm around 10 Free Peoples, Laurie's around 10 Dark

We're considering some gaming either this Friday or Sunday nights, I'm sure we could be persuaded to do some WotR games if there's interest.

If anyone's a veghead of some sort and is interested in this event even allowing for the presence of smoked animal parts, shoot me a GM and we'll get something worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I guess I need to get with the program as well:

1. Just the one Grant
2. I'll be bringing my wonderful first edition copy along.
3. Roughly 15 plays, pretty evenly split between Free Peoples and Shadow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This is a friendly bump to keep this thing on people's radars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] |