Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Price
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier this week my monthly gaming group ended in a huge fight. It stopped short of a physical altercation but it got very heated and tears were shed.cry Emotions ran hot with a controversial play, accusations were made, feelings were hurt, and it got very personal.

That got me thinking! What is the WORST gaming session you have EVER had? Fisticuffs? Friendships Ended? Relationships Doomed? I want to hear all of your Juiciest stories. thumbsupdevil

AND

What are the games that tend to cause these sorts of Gaming Group meltdowns? For me it was Carcassone w/Towers & Dragon, but which games are sure to cause intense rivalry and burning hatred in your group? angry

Any GG Tips will be distributed to the BEST story!! (ie. most thumbs) Have Fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassone? Seriously? That's like those fake "Oh she wore the same dress as me" tiffs women have...

It's not a real gamer fight unless dice are lodged in an orifice...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy. I am not exactly proud of this story, but in college we all decided to play a 7-person game of it. It was also decided that after every round we would all have a drink, and after every fall round we would all have a shot. I am not a drinker and have never been drunk but thought I could keep up.

I pulled Austria/Hungary and, like others who were there, immediately tried to negotiate. No one wanted to negotiate with me. Many of us were new but Russia/Turkey had already figured out that they should team up, and France/Britain also had a good thing going. Germany decided to work with Italy. Not a sole would even stay in the same room with me as I begged, threatened, and pleaded. Needless to say, the game itself wasn't very much fun.

By Fall of 1902 I was also in a state of "refreshment" from the alcohol and in frustration decided to take it out by throwing a chair at someone. No one was hurt and I was quickly eliminated to pass out from exhaustion (we all were coming from working at the same place) on the couch. From what I gathered, by 1905 everyone was so drunk that the orders were not legible and the game broke down. I woke up to sticks being poked and prodded into me.

We are still all friends, but that night was just terrible. Horrible game experience + alcohol (and I am a lightweight) = no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edwards
United States
Smyrna
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Coming in hot!
badge
Use the force....
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and his wife were playing The Game of Life, and she cheated on him repeatedly. They ended up divorced over it. That's about as juicy as I have.

On a more serious note, I've never actually had really bad things happen in a game. An old group of mine that had 2 brothers and one of their sons playing in it used to get very segregated when we played Risk. Typically, the son would fully support his dad, betraying anyone else he had made a team up with in favor of helping his dad out. Only one time did he not play true to form, and he actually betrayed his dad for his uncle. I think everyone was totally surprised, even the uncle. But no fisticuffs or altercations.

--- editing as I remembered the one thing that did happen in a game ---

My ex-wife and I used to get together with 2 other couples and play different board games. One night, we were playing the original Avalon Hill Titan. I had been amassing a strong force and a weaker force, and my ex decided to attack me. She attacked my stronger force, which also included my Titan. She managed to escape with her Titan, and I succintly turned back and attacked her on my next turn. Her Titan was slain. (I'm sketchy on the specifics as this was about 10 years ago, but IIRC, you can flee a battle and that was what she did. That might have been a house rule, but I'm not positive.)

She got mad, threw a tantrum, made EVERYONE except her uncomfortable. The game ended there, each couple going our separate ways. One of the couples refused to game with us after that.

Of course, we are ex'es now, not because of that incident, but in part because of the attitude that was displayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay time for the Kingmaker story my buddy Mike tells.

Here is Mike's version, best heard in a breathy, tense, excited voice:

My friend Mike wrote:
We were all playing Kingmaker in Larry's basement, and Larry went back on an agreement with Wendell. So Wendell got all red in the face and said "G** D*** it Larry, you always f@#* me over." Then Greg said "Oh sit down" and Wendell got up and walked over to where Greg was sitting and smashed him over the head with a pop bottle!

Here is the less hyped version.

We were all playing Kingmaker in Larry's basement. Larry, who was one of those guys you could always trust not to trust, did something I forget what, and I probably said something rude. Then Greg did something, and I bopped him over the head with an empty, plastic two-liter 7-Up bottle. Laughs all around, no blood flowed, the game and life went on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remembered another story:

Risk 2210- In a four person game I lay out my pieces in Australia, my wife sets up in Africa, and the random "desolation" zones cut the top of Africa off from Europe and South America so that the only way for African troops to get out of there was through the waterway on the east, heading east towards Australia and North towards Asia. She went first, and on her first turn her African troops move directly throuh the water and park NEXT TO my Australian capitol. Meanwhile, her Asian troops directly attack my Australia through the New Guina territory.

On my turn, I later attack her (to get out of Australia... she has me surrounded) and she throws a big fit and starts crying because I was ganging up on her. I had invited her to a friend's house to play and it was extremely awkward. Pointing out that she purposely had surrounded me, AND had already directly attacked me herself, didn't help. I just bit the bullet and let her rant. Then she just got silent and beet red.

I offered to resign but she just then said "play on." Later, she appologized to me but I don't know if I will bring her back. Sometimes, with women at least, using logic against them won't work because they have EMOTIONS (so I am told) and us guys don't really understand that. If she had kept on going I would have packed up with her and we would have left. But, in that situation I didn't know what to do.

I would have let it go at home, but in front of my friends it was just embarrassing. In her defense, at another time of the month it might have ended differently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of folks including my wife and I had been getting together on a regular basis for a few months. We had decided ahead of time to play Andriod.

Anyone who has played it knows that it has a ton a little things to know. ONe of the things that is important is knowing how to hurt another player. The only way to know it is by having a person read it out loud when the card comes up.

After resolving our first story each of us, in turn, were reading out loud our new story card. This was about 1 1/2 hours into the game. As another player was reading his card my wife turned to me and started making a joke about a picture on one of the cards. I started to reply and realized that we should be listening to the other player and said to her, "Hold up you're being rude."

Now It should be noted I know that I should never criticize my wife in front of other people. She can't handle it and reacts very poorly. She stopped, gave me "the look" and went on playing the game. The other players noticed and things were a bit uncomfortable.

The next person started reading her card and in the middle of it my wife made a crack about interuppting other people. Now I'm not the type of person to take things quietly so replied with something about her being the rude one. I knew that this would push her buttons, but it hard to be getting ribbed by someone when they were the one that was doing something they shouldn't have.

Anyway She stood up and angrily said "I don't need to play with people that put me down." and walked away from the table. Went into our bedroom and started taking a shower. She knew that this ruined the game for everyone because of hidden information.

I just sat there for awhile. The other players just sat extremely uncomfortably. Eventually I said excuse me I guess I need to go talk to my wife. I went into our bedroom and we had it out. By the end of it we were both yelling at each other. I came to my senses and realized we had a group of people sitting in the other room "waiting" for us.

No they had already left.

Although we have gamed with them since sadly it is no where near a regular as it was before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization has led to two major melt downs by friends.

I heard a lot about Diplomacy so I avoided it.

I like mixing cooperative games in with any competitive games for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:

I offered to resign but she just then said "play on." Later, she apologized to me but I don't know if I will bring her back. Sometimes, with women at least, using logic against them won't work because they have EMOTIONS (so I am told) and us guys don't really understand that.

For what it is worth, guys do to.

In fact, Dale Carnegie teaches that if you win the emotional argument, people will weight the facts to support their decision.

Some women lack emotions, some men are very emotional. But women do tend to be more emotional. I suppose you could take a break, say I understand that you are upset.

In my case, my daughter is pretty good- having been raised a gamer and wanting to play badly enough that she built up emotional walls to handle getting trounced, attacked, characters dying, etc. OTH, her husband didn't and has had some pretty spectacular blowouts. He played games with his family (even cut throat) but apparently didn't have to toughen up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When I was a kid I watched two other boys arguing over something to do with a game of Magic:The Gathering that had just concluded. They had been playing on the bus while it was still loading up with students.

The game ended abruptly and all I heard was:

IT WAS TAPPED MAN
IT WAS NOT, I JUST TAPPED IT
TAP THIS THEN!!!

Out of the window and into a water filled ditch went one of the kid's entire collection of Magic: The Gathering cards in one of those white baseball card boxes. The double-wide kind. So like 1,500 or so cards I believe. We all rushed to the side of the bus and sure enough they had sunk to the bottom of the ditch. In the murky darkness of the muddy water it was a mere light splotch.

The kid who owned the, now ruined, set of cards went screaming off the bus and jumped into the ditch to recover the cards. He came up with them and quickly opened the box. They were soaked, as expected, and he screamed, "SO HELP ME GOD I AM GOING TO MURDER YOU!!!!" (It was not worded that diplomatically). We all started laughing because he was soaked and stomping around about these cards.

The Principal came out to see what was going on as this was happening. The bus driver explained what happened to him and both boys were told to go inside. As the kid who was still on the bus got off the bus steps...the owner of the ruined cards clocked him in the side of the face so hard he knocked him out cold.

The Principal restrained the kid and started hauling him inside while the bus driver attended to the fallen student. All the buses had left at this point. The school nurse came out and got the injured student and we left. As we were driving past the Principal's window we could see the kid standing and jumping up and down screaming at the Principal.

As a quick side note...the kid who threw the cards out of the bus window had detention for 2 days for throwing litter out a bus window. The kid who hit him was suspended for a month for assaulting another student. When he returned to school, the two got in a fight after school and the kid who tossed the cards won quite handily.

I changed schools the following year so I have no idea how long this blood feud over Magic:The Gathering cards lasted...It is definitely my most memorable board gaming conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Price
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know man... a MEEPLE in the wrong place can cause some serious damage blush

It all started with the Towers and people helping their spouse, even if it was detrimental to their own chance of winning!

One buddies wife in particular was only playing to help her husband win and it Seriously pissed off a couple guys in the group, and even embarrased her husband a little bit.

Near the end of the game she had to choose again between using a tower against either her husband or another guy and it cost the other guy a chance at winning and didn't help her one bit. He got really upset and started yelling at the guys wife, he defended her by yelling back, she told him to shut-up, he told her to shut-up, more people jumped in and before you knew it game was over, married couple left, wife in tears, still shouting at each other in the car outside, and the rest of the group vowed to never let them return.

Never seen Carcassone go so badly.Hopefully never will again. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing a game of 1830 - some players had played before, others hadn't.

I (obviously) had played before, and found an opportunity to stick one of the other players with a company that (I thought) they couldn't manage to keep, and ultimately would go bankrupt, ending the game.

My calculation was slightly off - the player didn't go bankrupt, but was so severely brutalized by the move that they were doomed to spend the rest of the game (the remaining 4 hours, or so) locked into a no-win situation (basically akin to cutting off arms and legs and asking the person to run a 100-yard dash -- they'll get there, eventually; but it's not pleasant for anyone).

This would have been awful enough, except, from that moment until the end of the four hours, this person cried. I don't mean they whined/bitched (although there was that too). I mean, literally tears falling the entire rest of the game. At least twice the crying became nearly hysterical/panicked, and the rest of the time it was basically barely concealed whimpering.

Of course, the salt in the wound was that I didn't even win cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:

It's not a real gamer fight unless dice are lodged in an orifice...

ninja

But diplomacy doesn't use dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple with Magic: The Gathering, both relating to people losing their tempers. I have one friend that is very tempermental, and sometimes he just loses it. He is also the typical "well, I can't win now, I didn't draw any land." type of guy who lets you know every turn that he can't win... but then he usually wins. So we're playing Magic one time and he is winning, but I think I hit him with some spectacular combo. He gets pissed and has his entire deck in his hands and just squeezes it as hard as he can. This is back in the Visions days probably, and he's running a Black Lotus in this deck that he just crushed! The cards weren't too bad though, and we are friends to this day. Despite how angry he used to get, I never once felt afraid, and he never once threatened anything physical towards me... though he did hit another of my friends that he didn't get along with very well.

The other was in our FLGS that friend #2 from the previous story worked at. There was a guy who played there that I later found out was mentally challenged. We were playing a large multiplayer game with something like 6-8 players. He happened to have a red goblin deck, and I happened to be running a white anti-red deck at the time. My deck slaughtered his and weakened him enough that the other players took him out. He was yelling and screaming, picked up his deck and threw it as hard as he could against the wall. It was actually pretty funny. It wasn't a friend of mine, and I don't think I've seen him since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceRandahl wrote:
I don't know man... a MEEPLE in the wrong place can cause some serious damage blush

It all started with the Towers and people helping their spouse, even if it was detrimental to their own chance of winning!

One buddies wife in particular was only playing to help her husband win and it Seriously pissed off a couple guys in the group, and even embarrased her husband a little bit.

Near the end of the game she had to choose again between using a tower against either her husband or another guy and it cost the other guy a chance at winning and didn't help her one bit. He got really upset and started yelling at the guys wife, he defended her by yelling back, she told him to shut-up, he told her to shut-up, more people jumped in and before you knew it game was over, married couple left, wife in tears, still shouting at each other in the car outside, and the rest of the group vowed to never let them return.

Never seen Carcassone go so badly.Hopefully never will again. shake

Gaming with couples is vastly different to gaming with buddies, and if there are "gamers" who are mixed in with couples, then they should know that there will be one of two possible situations; either the wife and husband will "team up" and help each other out, or the wife and husband will become enemies and only go after each other. My wife is pretty good at keeping the "couple" aspect out of our games when we game with others, mainly because she hates becoming the target... but all of the other couples we've ever played with do one or the other of the 2 above choices... typically fighting each other though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Civilization has led to two major melt downs by friends.

maxo-texas wrote:

I heard a lot about Diplomacy so I avoided it.

Okay this I understand. Except when you follow it with;

maxo-texas wrote:

I like mixing cooperative games in with any competitive games for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
Gaming with couples is vastly different to gaming with buddies, and if there are "gamers" who are mixed in with couples, then they should know that there will be one of two possible situations; either the wife and husband will "team up" and help each other out, or the wife and husband will become enemies and only go after each other. My wife is pretty good at keeping the "couple" aspect out of our games when we game with others, mainly because she hates becoming the target... but all of the other couples we've ever played with do one or the other of the 2 above choices... typically fighting each other though.

There's one couple I conveniently will forget to invite. They'll team up together at the most ridiculous and most illogical times in a game. I don't have a problem with couples teaming up together as that's in the spirit of gaming but when this couple does it they seem to break the game and drag it out to unreasonable lengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:

Out of the window and into a water filled ditch went one of the kid's entire collection of Magic: The Gathering cards in one of those white baseball card boxes. The double-wide kind. So like 1,500 or so cards I believe. We all rushed to the side of the bus and sure enough they had sunk to the bottom of the ditch. In the murky darkness of the muddy water it was a mere light splotch.

The kid who owned the, now ruined, set of cards went screaming off the bus and jumped into the ditch to recover the cards. He came up with them and quickly opened the box. They were soaked, as expected...

Should've sleeved his cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Smith
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've had a few blowouts. Usually when I'm losing a game pretty badly, I'll get agitated. I might go "Give me a fucking break" or "Are you shitting me" when my opponent does something especially cruel and/or lucky. Sometimes I'll just sigh knowing the rest of the game is going to be miserable when I get gimped in the beginning.

But one time, playing Chaos in the Old World, Khorne camped me the entire game when I was playing as Slaanesh. To the exclusion of everyone else. Tzeench even got every single figure on the board, and they stayed there, for a round or two. Even Nurgle has almost everyone on the board. But my two regions with nobles had the shit camped out of them. I only got to my first upgrade the entire game, and I chose to upgrade my cultist to have 2 hitpoints.

All the while, Khorne is getting amazing rolls. Routinely rolling half sixes, and usually rerolling the sixes to get at least two or three more.

And then it happens. He rolls double digit hits off maybe 4 or 5 dice, wipes me off the board again and I lose it. I accuse him of cheating, and am miserable the rest of night. My girlfriend gets pissed at me for being such a bitter and horrible person to play with that night, and the next day she doesn't speak to me at all.

Thankfully everything is better now. But to this day the guy who played Khorne will just occasionally decide to pick on one person and make them miserable the entire night. Sometimes its me, sometimes its not, but nobody takes it as badly as I did that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As a quick side note...the kid who threw the cards out of the bus window had detention for 2 days for throwing litter out a bus window.

Wow. That's actually pretty outrageous. I don't know what cards he had/what condition they were in, but what got ruined could easily have been worth several thousand dollars. If some kid destroyed some other kid's car or bike in full view of many students and administrators, I suspect they would have gotten more than 2 days of detention...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langer
United States
Hickam AFB
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Quote:
Wow. That's actually pretty outrageous. I don't know what cards he had/what condition they were in, but what got ruined could easily have been worth several thousand dollars. If some kid destroyed some other kid's car or bike in full view of many students and administrators, I suspect they would have gotten more than 2 days of detention...

No doubt. I would've lost it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Quote:
As a quick side note...the kid who threw the cards out of the bus window had detention for 2 days for throwing litter out a bus window.

Yeah, I agree. That's significant property destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Goertzen
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's another giant thread about this somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Could someone handier than I with the forums put the link here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Beard
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I thought for sure that two of my friends (Alex and Steve) were going to stick a shiv in me this last Tuesday evening.

We had a group of 4, and Caylus was chosen for the evening. I had never played before, and after they explained the game to me I imagine my expression was somewhere between pole-axed and hopelessly bewildered.

So, in the very first turn of the game, I had an opportunity to literally wipe out two of my friends' placements for the turn (I couldn't get to the 3rd friend - Randy - but I would've if I could have managed). Now, I could lie, and say that it was a clever strategy wherein I reasoned that since I had no clue what I was doing - I could at least level the playing field a bit by messing up the others' plans. But, the truth is, I just wanted to have fun screwing (with) them. So, to choruses of "Oh, that would really get us, but we don't usually play like ....ouch, you little bastard." and "I will get you, just wait" I moved the bailiff right on past their workers and wiped the slate clean.

They did of course make me pay for it later, which is entirely fine. But what was weird was - they truly were pissed at me. I say this in full perspective that my other favorite hobby is MMA training - no one has been that mad at me in a long time. I frequently punch my (other group of) friends in the face and cause them significant pain, and they are nothing like as unhappy as my gaming crew was that night.

I think the next 3 hours were about as uncomfortable as I've been when I was supposed to be having fun. So, what was intended as light-hearted screwage ended up with me checking my tacos for cyanide later that night. Beware!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do not like mixing gaming with couples unless (1) it's a "casual" or "light" game intended to be played by couples or non-gamers, or (2) everyone there is a gamer and really wants to be there to play. I had too many RPG campaigns ruined because someone insisted on bringing My New Girlfriend (tm); they usually pretty quickly turned into My Girlfriend Who Doesn't Like My Friends So I Can't Hang Out Tonight Guys (tm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.