Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice review, you're making me rethink my decision not too purchase this.
Having played Soviet Dawn, Zulus and Empires I would like to add that the last two do play very differently than the first thanks to different types of cards and card play. Which I'm glad of. The only one that looks like a clone is the latest Levee en Masse title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TOE does not use the STATES OF SIEGE game engine to power it, LEVEE EN MASSE does.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
*APPLAUSE*
Good job reviewing the game, Herman.

Yes, my counters are askew and it was mildly annoying to see the defect yet again in another VPG game. Especially after reading
in this Nemo's War thread this reply from late March:
anarchy wrote:
The round counters are a challenge to die-cut properly (the 1/2" rounds more so than the 5/8" round like Nemo's uses).

I know some of the guys from VPG visited with the die-cut manufacturer last week and they got a "shim" to better distribute the force of the press on the back of the die. That should make better cuts in the future, hopefully. I'm interested to see how well it works, especially on the round counters.

Blake, sorry to hear that your counters were miss-punched. I understand Alan is taking care of you.

Luckily, the mis-shapened counters don't affect my gameplay experience.

The game is so much fun and it's hugely rewarding to drop those nukes any chance available. When the mission's brutal and I know the crew and plane won't be returning to base, all I want is to deliver that final bomb on the primary target - just give me that! Definitely my favorite part of the game is seeing the payload dropped and the route lit up with fiery mushroom clouds.

Toe-to-Toe is a nice change of pace from the states of siege solitaire formula. I have no real interest in the theme for Circus Train, so Toe-To-Toe is a very welcomed game to my solitaire collection. I hope VPG produces even more solo games that don't utilize the states of siege system. For what it's worth, I also own Forlorn: Hope and Nemo's War which do not use the states of siege, yet require a little more planning and time to play and that segues into the great point you raise about Toe-to-Toe. It plays so quickly!

The set-up and play time for this game is amazingly quick. It makes for stiff competition to my favorite solo VPG game, Zulus on the Ramparts!
I've made time to play a game of Toe-to-Toe while dinner is cooking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Toe-to-Toe is simply a great game! So much flavor and so much fun in such a little package, it's great for travel or when you don't have a lot of space to play in. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Strangelove and this lets me play various clips in my head as I hum "We'll Meet Again" each time I bomb a target. For busy gamers and at only $15, this game is perfect.

As Alan wrote, this is not a States of SiegeTM game - it uses a new engine designed by its creator, Chris Taylor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't see a review. Was the original post deleted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbwphx wrote:

I don't see a review. Was the original post deleted?

I tried to find a copy of the original at archive.org, but

Quote:
Robots.txt Query Exclusion.

We're sorry, access to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5515879 has been blocked by the site owner via robots.txt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.