Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'll be visiting the lovely country of Belgium from May 13 to 20. This is kind of a return for me as I spent a semester in Brussels from Jan to May 1987. I'm traveling with a friend who's also into military history (especially WWII) and we're going to primarily be visiting battle sites.

Anyway, we'll be in Brussels, Antwerp, and Ghent to name a few of the larger cities. Rather than just do an internet search of game stores, I thought I'd ask the locals. I probably only want to take the time to visit one store, so which one would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

PS I'd be quite interested in tracking down a copy of Trader which is not available in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Outpost (http://www.outpost.be/website/) has gamecenters in Brussels, Antwerp and Ghent. They sell games, but you can also borrow their copies (or bring your own) to sit down and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Don Pion |
Belgium
Brakel
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes Outpost is a very good store, when i'm in Gent i also check Intertoys (Voldersstraat 17, near Veldstraat which is a wellknown street in Gent).
But the very best place to be if you want lots and lots of games at cheap prices is Adriaensen in Antwerp: http://users.telenet.be/adriaensen/prijslijst.html. I haven't been there myself but i've bought lots of games there (online, conventions,...). From what i've heard, it isn't the nice looking store like Outpost, i believe you even have to make an appointment to visit this shop but as i mentioned lots of games and cheap.
Have a nice trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you happen to be in or around Leuven, there is a good game shop in Kessel-Lo (just north of the Leuven railway station), named "Speelgoed Mertens" (http://www.speelgoedmertens.be/, Diestsesteenweg 61), where I always liked to shop in those days that I lived in Kessl-Lo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
And if you happen to be in or around Leuven, there is a good game shop in Kessel-Lo (just north of the Leuven railway station), named "Speelgoed Mertens" (http://www.speelgoedmertens.be/, Diestsesteenweg 61), where I always liked to shop in those days that I lived in Kessl-Lo.
Yes, Leuven is on the itinerary. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
teufen wrote:
Yes, Leuven is on the itinerary. Thanks!
In that case, I can also recommend you a bar where you can go, drink some good belgian beers and play a game: "De Amedee", it's in de Muntstraat. And another good bar, if you like jazz and blues music and good belgian beers is "De Blauwe Kater", http://www.blauwekater.be/cafe/, in the Naamse Straat, very close to the Amedee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Van den Heuvel
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
Outpost (http://www.outpost.be/website/) has gamecenters in Brussels, Antwerp and Ghent. They sell games, but you can also borrow their copies (or bring your own) to sit down and play.
I second the Outpost. Even though my mothertongue is dutch, I still prefer my games to be in english. The outpost has all of its games in english, or so I've been told. I've found that most of the belgian shops only have the dutch version of certain games .. shake

I only know the one in Brussels though, and frequently organise an english-speaking game session there. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As additionals (although I'll third the Outpost & Speelgoed Mertens suggestions):

Dedale in Brussels
Spelfanaat in Leuven & Mechelen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to browse and buy games though, I wouldn't go to the Outpost in Brussels. They have very few board games for sale. However, it often is a nice place to play games (I myself play there every Tuesday).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
And if you happen to be in or around Leuven, there is a good game shop in Kessel-Lo (just north of the Leuven railway station), named "Speelgoed Mertens" ...
Thanks for that, Christopher. I will be living in Leuven this August.

Kurt, have a great trip. Belgium is very nice. I've been to the Outpost in Gent and it is a fun place.

Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:
teufen wrote:
And if you happen to be in or around Leuven, there is a good game shop in Kessel-Lo (just north of the Leuven railway station), named "Speelgoed Mertens" ...
Thanks for that, Christopher. I will be living in Leuven this August.

Kurt, have a great trip. Belgium is very nice. I've been to the Outpost in Gent and it is a fun place.

Kris
Thanks, Kris. And have a great time in Leuven yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
L'Antre Jeux in Brussels (Avenue de la Couronne) is where I used to buy most of my games. It's nothing special in itself but they carry the games from all the well-known publishers and has quite an extensive display, including English versions (which I also favoured).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellenwinkel Delombaerde is a fairly well stocked shop in Ingooigem - one room where all four walls are covered with shelves full of eurogames. I like to visit it.
But, unless you have a car, and were planning to visit the Coupole museum and the Dunkirk evacuation beaches in the north of France, it's most probably completely out of your way.
Enjoy your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Delforge
Belgium
Kapellen, Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmb
vfeight wrote:
Yes Outpost is a very good store, when i'm in Gent i also check Intertoys (Voldersstraat 17, near Veldstraat which is a wellknown street in Gent).
But the very best place to be if you want lots and lots of games at cheap prices is Adriaensen in Antwerp: http://users.telenet.be/adriaensen/prijslijst.html. I haven't been there myself but i've bought lots of games there (online, conventions,...). From what i've heard, it isn't the nice looking store like Outpost, i believe you even have to make an appointment to visit this shop but as i mentioned lots of games and cheap.
Have a nice trip!
Although Adriaensen is definitely the cheapest store you can find, the shop is not very interesting to visit. It's a bit away from everything else in Antwerp, and it's basically just a garage filled with games and a small counter.

So while Adriaensen is your best bet if you want to buy games, I would still recommend Outpost. You can drink something there, and there is enough room to play a few games. Plus, there are always a few people who could be persuaded into playing with you. Also, the shop is right in the middle of Antwerp, very close to all the sights. I don't know about the shops in Leuven and Ghent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Verbiest
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't like the outpost because it can get noisy (at least it was a few years ago in Ghent), but it's nice to find people to play with.

They are very expensive though, for the average 50 Euro game you pay 60 there ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas darklord
Belgium
flag msg tools
Outpost in Ghent is quite ok although it can be quite intimidating the first time you enter and you really have to check out on beforehand when there are things to do and when you can play. I get the feeling it is becoming a place for online games instead of people that play boardgames but that changes on the occasional event so just go there when there's something going on.

To be honest I buy some of my boardgames online since I play mostly with friends: I usually buy at http://www.gezelschapsspelen-webshop.be (only for belgium and usually good promotions to find or free delivery) but a trip to Intertoys in Ghent is also recommendable especially for 999 games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. A BGG newuser with only two posts promoting a web store, and one post disparaging the Outpost. A shill perhaps?

And off topic too as the original poster is looking for shops to visit.

jonas_darklord wrote:
Outpost in Ghent is quite ok although it can be quite intimidating the first time you enter and you really have to check out on beforehand when there are things to do and when you can play. I get the feeling it is becoming a place for online games instead of people that play boardgames but that changes on the occasional event so just go there when there's something going on.

To be honest I buy some of my boardgames online since I play mostly with friends: I usually buy at http://www.gezelschapsspelen-webshop.be (only for belgium and usually good promotions to find or free delivery) but a trip to Intertoys in Ghent is also recommendable especially for 999 games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Delforge
Belgium
Kapellen, Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmb
jonas_darklord wrote:
To be honest I buy some of my boardgames online since I play mostly with friends: I usually buy at http://www.gezelschapsspelen-webshop.be
Looks like Adriaensen is still cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for Liege or other places *south* of Brussels along the E42 - E40 line?

Can anyone tell me about "Autre Monde"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Kellens
Belgium
Hasselt
Limburg
flag msg tools
mb
Oberonn - Hasselt (www.oberonn.be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hishikawa
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

For me the best shop in Bruxelles is

http://www.antre-jeux.be/

You'll find almost everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, all. I referenced this thread via my iPhone more than once while I was there. First off, the trip was fantastic! We did Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Oostende, Thionville (France), Luxembourg, Bastogne, and finally Leuven.

While in Antwerp I checked out the Games Workshop store quite by accident on my way to Outpost. At Outpost, I ordered a copy of Trader, a game which is not available over here. The people were very friendly.

I checked out Cafe Amedee in Leuven but they were closed when I was there. Later, my buddy was walking by while I was in another part of town and he texted me that they were open but people were playing Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly, so I didn't feel the need to check it out.

I ate so very well and got to speak a lot of French (a hobby of mine) in addition to all the great sites. J'aime La Belgique.

Here, have a gaufre:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls