Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are driving through the Milwaukee area to visit her family in Sheboygan. I know there are quite a few stores in the area, but our time is limited and we are looking to pick up a few games on the way up. I am NOT looking for a place to hang out and play, just a great store with a huge selection of board games in that area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems. - HS
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Games Universe (http://www.game-universe.com/). They have a HUGE selection of board games. The Greenfield location probably has a slightly bigger selection - since it was their original store. And they are conveniently located to the freeway, so it shouldn't be too far out of your way on your drive to Sheboygan. They have really expanded their inventory of in-stock board games over the last year or so.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://geekdo.com/thread/294366/flgs-of-the-usa-a-list-of-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getaklue wrote:
I would recommend Games Universe (http://www.game-universe.com/). They have a HUGE selection of board games. The Greenfield location probably has a slightly bigger selection - since it was their original store. And they are conveniently located to the freeway, so it shouldn't be too far out of your way on your drive to Sheboygan. They have really expanded their inventory of in-stock board games over the last year or so.

Good luck!

I concur. James stocks a lot more games now and is much more active in boardgaming than in precious times.

He also sponsors my gaming group (www.meetup.com/milcog) and has been very supportive of board gaming in Milwaukee.

He also can order stuff with about a day or two max turn around time so if you stop in on the way down he probably would have a special order by the time you could stop in on the way out.

Say high to BGGer Karl when you are there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Games Universe is a nice shop... a good choice to stop there; either location.

Two other game stores in the Milwaukee area are Adventures In Gaming and Cavalry Games. AIG is a bit off the interstate, but Cavarly Games is just a hop off and short ride up the street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AIG selection lacks compared to Cav and GU however. In fact it is hard to tell if they are really in the business of selling games or the store is a tax shelter or something as they have so few things for sale but lots of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
AIG selection lacks compared to Cav and GU however.

That's true. AIG is what I'd called a "club shop" - that is, it's really intended that you join the group of people playing there more than just pop in and buy things.

Traditionally, AIG was the miniatures stop, Games Universe was the RPG stop, and Cavarly Games was the board game stop... except now, Games Universe has really worked hard to become a full service place, with a great selection of board games and a really nice environment overall. In the past couple of years, they've come a long way. Cavalry Games has worked hard to up the ante too, but their absolutely tiny location makes it hard to put up a good display. They do have a good selection though and it is more "on the way" from Sheboygan than any others. And yes, AIG has lagged behind in delivery of quality service to the gaming community compared to these two.

I should also mention a mall store, Boardgame Barrister, which is located at Bayshore Mall and is quite close to Cavalry Games. This is a good store for selection, but their prices seem above retail - part of the difficulty of trying to make a go of it in such an expensive, high visibility store front, I'd guess. The Barrister is still a good place to shop though if you don't worry about a dollar here or there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we decided on two.....Games Universe and Board Game Barrister. Both seem to carry what we are looking for games-wise. (ie. FFG, Queen, AEG, Rio, etc etc.).

Definitely not looking for a store that thinks Monopoly caters to Boardgamers =).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls