Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: US Games & Game shops in Denver & San Francisco rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Hofferberth
Germany
Heidelberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi there

I am currently on vaccation in the US, I am in San Francisco right now and will go to Denver next week. If anyone living in those 2 towns can give me some hints where to find nice boardgame shops, it would be highly appreciated
They tend to be hard to find if you dont know the town at all...

Also, from what I have seen so far, there seems to be a surprising dominance of European and especially German games here. So far I have only found a few games that I havent seen in Germany yet, the only one I bought so far is Runebound, which looks really cool. So, if you know a great US/imported game that you think might be easier to get here than in Germany, please tell me about it, so I can see if I find it.

Thanks for any advise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Francisco Game Stores
Gamescape on Divisedero in S.F. is a great little store. Who knows, you might see Robin Williams there...he's been known to shop there.

Also, across the bay in Berkeley is Games of Berkeley which is another great game store. It's on Shattuck, near the BART station.

If you end up in Berkeley, stop by a little hot dog place called Top Dog on Durant. They make the best Bratwurst (complete with fringe politcal commentary on the walls). Also, drop by Cody's Books one of the pioneering independent bookstores still standing. While you're there, don't miss Moe's Books...another independent giant.

If you're on the east bay side, you might also want to check out Endgame, near Lake Merritt in Oakland. They have open gaming every Wednesday night. Just around the block is a great falafel restaurant for lunch (on the other side of the Grand Lake Theater).

Have a great time! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Best "Stores" around.
timewellspent.org

They are in Denver and offer excellent service and great prices. Give them a call with your order and they will have it ready for you at the door when you arrive.

Can't recommend highly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Denver
Attactix, in Aurora, has long been among the best retail game stores in the world.

Valhalla's, in Wheat Ridge, doesn't offer as much selection, but is still very good. And Dan's a sweetheart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Stores
Give that you are looking for stuff that you wouldn't see in Germany I would say TimeWellSpent might not be the place to go. Dave (the owner) runs one of the best online euro game shops around but it's not the type of place you can just walk into and buy games. For what you are looking for I would say stop by Attactix definitely. They used to sell a lot of wargames and other US type games (if that makes sense). They have recently gotten out of the wargames and now have one side of an entire aisle with all boardgames. Given that most of their clients are the RPG/CCG/mini type people they do carry quite a few boardgames/cardgames that you might not see in Germany or hear about at this site or on Spielfrieks. Another good store is The Wizards Chest in the Cherry Creek North area of Denver. They also carry a decent selection of US type games along with a fair number of euros.

Also, if you are up for some games you might check out the DenverGames group (www.denvergames.com and the denvergames Yahoo group). We play every Tuesday night from about 5pm to 10pm at a local Borders Book store. If you manage to find the Attactix store, the Borders is only about 10 minutes from there. All the details are on the website. You might also be able to drum up some interest in more gaming that week if you have the time. just post to the Yahoo group and see what people say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
web listing for SF
http://spotlightongames.com/list/bayarea.html