Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Any Sales in Dallas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am back in the US for a week, are there any sales going on at game stores in the Dallas area?

I saw some Journal entries a couple weeks ago about some sales, but I don't know if these are still going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Sales
I live in Dallas... but you'd be hard pressed to find a "sale" in a gamestore unless it is going out of business...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You'd be hardpressed to find a gamestore in Dallas, let alone a sale. The only store I know of with a good selection (and it is very good), is The Game Chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
all the stores
Michael,

Game Chest is your best bet, but if you want to hunt around some more, here's our latest info. It's a little vague on the Dallas side unfortunately.

"In case you're new to the area (or even if you're not) here are the local stores where you might find (mostly) German boardgames. Some of this is on the flyer I hand out to new people. But I'll elaboration here. My information about Dallas area stores is rather stale, so take it with a grain of salt. As to what they carry I'll give a few details, not on specific games, but by game publishers. The big boys who translate German games are, in order from most titles to least: Rio Grande Games (the big boy, about 150 titles), Mayfair Games (about 50 titles), Eagle Games, Hasbro/Avalon Hill, Uberplay, Days of Wonder, Winning Moves, Fantasy Flight Games, Out of the Box, GMT, Phalanx, and a few small fry. I'll list them mainly by their abbreviations (RGG, H/AH, etc.). All of these stores sell their stuff at least at the manufacturers suggested retail price. But I've seen a few games over this. Don't expect to find anything discounted unless a store has a clearance table (some Lone Star stores do). Don't expect the employees to know anything about boardgames. Occasionally you'll find someone who knows something, but 98% don't know or care about games. They specialize in comics, or in HobbyTown's case, remote controlled cars.

- Lone Star Comics has eight locations in the metro-plex. They've been in the area for over 20 years.

1. 5429 S. Hulen Street - about 23 games: Mayfair, H/AH, EG, OotB, WM. Surprisingly none by Rio Grade Games. Tiny gaming area (one table, no elbow room). Every time I've been in there its staked out by fantasy gamers. http://www.mycomicshop.com/ourstores/ftworth.cfm

2. 931 Melbourne Street, (one block south of Northeast Mall), Hurst - about 27 games: H/AH, Mayfair, EG, DoW. http://www.mycomicshop.com/ourstores/hurst.cfm

3. 504 East Abram Street, in central Arlington, their main store - about 103 games: Mayfair, EG, H/AH, OotB, RGG, Uberplay, DoW, Phalanx, plus lots of wargames. The best selection of all the Lone Star Comics stores. Lots of games by Mayfair and Rio Grande. Strangely the other Lone Star stores rarely carry RGG stuff for some reason. The store has a very large (about 10 tables) gaming area in the back. The German games aren't all in the same place. About 2/3 are near the front of the store and the rest are near the back, with the wargames. Has "family game night" each Saturday, 6 to 8 PM, where they feature a particular game (don't expect them to always be German, two weeks ago it was Clue), which an employee will teach you how to play. http://www.mycomicshop.com/ourstores/carlington.cfm

4. 5720 Forest Bend Dr., in SW Arlington, at I-20 & Green Oaks - about 11 games: Mayfair, OotB, EG. http://www.mycomicshop.com/ourstores/sarlington.cfm

5-8. They also have stores in the Dallas area (north Dallas, Mesquite, Plano and Irving). They each have 20 to 35 games (or they did a few years ago).

- Y2Komics 5276 Trail Lake Dr. (near the Wedgwood Theater). - about 24 games: FFG, RGG, EG, Mayfair, H/AH. The store's boardgames skew towards fantasy. Has a gaming area (about 4 tables) in the back.

- The Toy Shoppe 5013 Trail Lake Dr. (behind Sonic). - about 25 games: H/AH, Ravensburger. But the majority of the 25 are very old wargames by SPI, AH, GDW, WEG, VG, TFG.

- HobbyTown USA has six locations in the metro-plex (plus stores all across the country).

1. 6080 S. Hulen Street, suite 105 (near the Mardel Christian book store), - about 39 games: EG, H/AH, FFG, Uberplay, WM, Mayfair, RGG, DoW. Has a gaming area (two tables) in the back. But the last time I was there (August 26) they had crap (children's toys, unopened boxes, etc.) laying all over the tables. Since the store is only five months old, their stock is mainly newly released titles or proven big sellers like the Settlers and Carcassonne line. http://fortworthtx.hobbytown.com/dailyhomepage/?id=73 (817) 263-5700

2. 4116 S. Cooper Street (across from the Parks Mall, behind Grandy's, in south Arlington). - about 40 games: H/AH, RGG, Mayfair, FFG, EG, plus wargames. Most of these have been laying there for 3-4 years. They almost never order anything new. http://arlingtontx.hobbytown.com/dailyhomepage/?id=73 (817) 557-2225

3-6. They also have stores in the Dallas area (north Dallas, Mesquite, Plano and Lewisville). But my info on them is years out of date.

- Generation X Comics, Cards, and Games 239 N. Industrial, Bedford, - about 32 games (my info is years out of date for this store). Has a gaming area. (817) 540-5556
- Game Chest in Valley View Mall (upper level, near Sears) in north Dallas. - over 320 games: the best game store in Dallas. My info is years out of date, but the last time I was there they had titles from all major publishers of German games, plus lots of war games."

This list was created today by a (ahem, somewhat notorious here) friend of mine who frequents BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls