Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was meeting friends near Holborn station this weekend, so naturally I took the time in advance to look up any nearby game shops.

Arriving at Holborn early, I took a stroll down to Playin' Games, near the British Museum. Very disappointing. All the mainstream commercial stuff was upstairs - nothing of interest. Downstairs, there were a few Euros and wargames, but the shelves looked empty: it really looked as if the owner didn't care. On closer inspection, many of the boxes had picked up dents and there were holes in the shrink-wrap. God knows what sort of state the contents could have been in.

I satisfied my gaming itch by wandering along Shaftesbury Avenue to Orc's Nest - a much better class of shop all round. I emerged £80 poorer but immensely happier.

But the moral: avoid Playin' Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben

Playin' Games is closing down. Nearly all their games are 50% to 70% off, and most of their stock has now gone. You caught them at a bad time, they used to be a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:

Playin' Games is closing down. Nearly all their games are 50% to 70% off, .
I wish someone had advertised that earlier! Probably too late to get anything worthwhile now.
I used to go there a lot when I worked in the City and always found it a reasonable source of games. Knowing about a sale would have got me there again, so a bit annoying to miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I definitely caught it at a low ebb. Shame, really...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have spent some dough at Playin' Games and despite it being small and tourist focused I have sympathy for the shop. I did not even know they are closing down. One less option in London Central area.

It makes me feel a bit gloomy and guilty for sometimes having bought online, just like when Borders of Oxford Street (where I loved wandering around, have a coffee and a bag some book bargain) closed down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not really a "tourist trap" is it, going to a shop which didn't meet up to your expectations.

I thought you were letting people know about some sort of scam or the like going on which happened when you were near a board game shop or something like that lol

I went the Playingames with my friend after visiting the british museum last wednesday, and it was quite empty for the most part, but I still got a Deadlands Rangewars expansion and an old Warlord tcg deck for £4.50, so could have been worse. But you are right, went to Orc's Nest afterwards and I was in heaven. Even managed to buy the last copy of "Pocket Battles: Celts vs Romans" which is sold out everywhere online
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They're shutting down? I'm sorry to hear it. They were, way back when, the only store on the planet to still have a copy of Deluxe Ogre and Deluxe GEV. Which are now in my grubby paws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to go to playin games alot about 5 years ago, it was a really good shop and sad to see it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
What Ben's probably referring to is the fact that Playin' Games is listed/recommended in most of the "Visiting London" threads and the FLGS of the world list.

Orc's Nest is a really nice store (as of May 2010;). Better yet just across the street you can buy cheap DVDs and records at Fopp. (They're matching amazon prices -> e.g. most CDs cost £5.) And it's only a stroll from Leicester Square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Ben

Playin' Games is closing down. Nearly all their games are 50% to 70% off, and most of their stock has now gone. You caught them at a bad time, they used to be a lot better.
Ben, this was highlighted on the Geek. You should more time indoors on your computer.

Also, you might care to edit the thread title so you don't mislead people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, you might care to edit the thread title so you don't mislead people.

Why? It got you to read it and I am sure he wants as many people reading it as possible. I am sure the readers can make up their mind once they have scanned through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in there this afternoon, live closeby to this and Orc's Nest.

Playin Games used to have a much better stock of games even as recently as a few weeks ago, but their prices are a few pounds more than other stockists. I agree their shelves look pretty decimated at the moment.

Spoke to the guys in there today and they are moving, probably, to Covent Garden instead.

They have some great deals on at the moment, bought RFTG: Rebel vs Imperium for only £10.99 - 50% off. Very happy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry to hear they're closing down, I bought a lot of wargames from there over the last few years, but their wargame stock was getting less and less in the last 18 months. I was there last Saturday, and there wasn't much left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to hear I visited this shop in 2008 while on holiday in London and it was wall to wall with quality games. It had loads on offer much more in stock than our stores here (which are still good but you just have to know what you want so they can order it for you) I think I bought Agricola there... It may have been the Orc's nest, can't quite remember. London is confusing when you come from a small city of only 1million people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad to hear this. crycry
Hope they are moving rather than closing down totally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A shame - they were very good when I first started going there on visits to London; on my first venture inside (almost 3 years ago now) I picked up a shrink-wrapped copy of Goa. Yes, Goa.

Hasn't been as good recently, but I suspect that was due to their closing down... which I knew nothing of until now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hardcastle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to the Chess shop in Baker stret recently and was surprised to see that they stock a small amount of euro games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the tourist trap... To me it's more about not being able to stand the crowd more than a couple of days.

I've never been to Playin' Games; sounds like it won't happen either, but I've purchased a couple of games at Orc's Nest.

In general I don't find London a particularly cheap nor expensive place to buy games, so I wouldn't travel to London for that purpose.
I could lose myself in the bookstores however, the books are really cheap compared to here (usually around 60%).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We stopped in there a few years ago, after visiting the Museum. It was perfectly fine then and we bought Outrage! Steal the Crown Jewels and The London Game, neither of which were likely to show up at our FLGS in Fair Lawn NJ. In fact I remember being impressed how much American stuff they had (which we obviously didn't need to bring home from London).

Sorry to see any good shop go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grigg Lumbermanson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is there a good store in london that sells used or older boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visited Playin'games today, bottom floor almost totally stripped out crycry, top floor seems to have some 'new' monopoly clones angry

Nothing I wanted to buy left there, sadly.

Then I wallked the length of Shaftesbury avenue looking for Orc's Nest. Couldn't find it. Good news for my bookshop of choice (Foyles) since I spent the money there instead, but where exactly is Orc's Nest for future reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Visited Playin'games today, bottom floor almost totally stripped out crycry, top floor seems to have some 'new' monopoly clones angry

Nothing I wanted to buy left there, sadly.

Then I wallked the length of Shaftesbury avenue looking for Orc's Nest. Couldn't find it. Good news for my bookshop of choice (Foyles) since I spent the money there instead, but where exactly is Orc's Nest for future reference.
Philip

If you walk along Tottenham Court Road to Cambridge Circus and turn laft into Shaftesbury Avenue it's a little side street on the right straight away. There is a branch of Fopp on the corner and Orc's nest is about the 4th shop on the right.

Of couse if your coming down Shaftesbury Avenue towards Tottenham Court Road it's the last turning on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlham Street.

Best to look for the Marquis of Granby Pub. Earlham Street is a small side street of Shaftesbury Avenue just past the pub as you are walking away from Charing Cross Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, double news: Playin' Games closing down and Orc's Nest becoming a decent store. Things do change, obviously....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls