Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: May The Games Be With You - Canadian Math Trade - Discussion Thread - RESULTS POSTED! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Shipping a game can cost anywhere up to $12. This is often half the value of the game. If you can buy the game you want brand new for $30, then giving a game away plus the shipping cost may not be worth it.

This is a significant factor. Some of the smaller games on the list that I might be interested in, I can almost buy for the price I'd pay to ship my offered game(s), so they don't make it onto the list.

Quote:

This is why I only trade for:
- Games no longer in print
- Games with retail value of more than what I am trading

I don't worry too much about specific retail value, but more "value to me". However, since my collection is feeling "big enough" lately, there are only a few games that I'd say I have "high interest" in trading for. There are a few I have "some interest", and gift certificates are always good, but my want lists are shorter than they used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore and Genoa for Heroquest and Star Wars: Epic Duels.

BEST MATH TRADE EVAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first time participating in a math trade and honestly I thought there would be a lot more action. It seems like a lot of work for such little movement. I guess, however, the results were very comparable to previous MT's.

At least I got one trade I am pretty happy about. I have been looking for Pacific Typhoon/Atlantic Storm for a while now.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded Epic Duels for Fire and Axe so that's very nice even though the trade % is low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-- 1. gives Madden NFL 10 (Nintendo Wii) to andrewhodkinson, receives $25 CAD Gift Certificate from Daezee
Picked up this copy of Madden NFL at a discount, so happy with the gift certificate value I am trading it for!

-- 2. gives Daytona 500 to dbezzant, receives YINSH + TZAAR from Sharc
Looking forward to trying out these two abstract games from the GIPF series.

-- 3. gives Alhambra (Anniversary Gold Edition) to dcorban, receives Pirate's Cove from andrewhodkinson
We already have the base Alhambra (one of our favourite fillers) & found that the gold edition was more than we needed, so very excited to trade it for Pirate's Cove which I think will be a lot of fun to play as a family!

-- 4. gives Alhambra: The Treasure Chamber to Jorage, receives a $25 Gift Certificate from mcszarka
This was a duplicate copy of this expansion & pleased with the value I'm exchanging it for (especially since shipping is combined with the other one below)!

-- 5. gives Alhambra: Thief's Turn to Jorage, receives Pandemic + Tower of Babel from Sharc
Pandemic has become a family favourite, so I've been looking for a second copy to give to a friend (Tower of Babel I might try out, or just offer it back up for trade)!

-- 6. gives Lunar Rails to paperfred, receives Two Small World Expansions from Byrns
Small World is a game I'm still looking for (trades, anyone?), but now I at least have a few of the OOP expansions ready to play (as soon as I get the base game)!

Overall, I'm very happy with the results... I put up a lot of games (as usual), so my trade percentage appears to be low (as expected), but I'm certainly not disappointed with anthing I ended up with! Maybe I'll try bundling up a few of my smaller items next time to see if they generate some additional interest? For those items that didn't trade, they are certainly still available, so please contact me if you're interested in any additional trades (most are also listed in the BGG Marketplace & I'm very open to offers, especially for multiple purchases purchases)...

Thanks Daisy... I sure appreciate these Canadian math trades so much more than the usual ones based in the USA (which are becoming more work than seems worthwhile due to the shipping restrictions on most items).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got rid of my last bad boxing day impulse buy with Caylus Magna Carta. And I got a good looking(but low rank) wargame in return! Team GMT FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Becker wrote:
This was my first time participating in a math trade and honestly I thought there would be a lot more action. It seems like a lot of work for such little movement.

You are right. However, trying to set up direct one-for-one trades with BGG users is even more work for less results.

If you have your tradable items listed "for trade" on BGG, then adding them to the math trade is virtually no effort. You load up the OLWLG, click "add games to trade", then go down the list, ultimately doing nothing but clicking the button twice for each entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Michael Becker wrote:
This was my first time participating in a math trade and honestly I thought there would be a lot more action. It seems like a lot of work for such little movement.

You are right. However, trying to set up direct one-for-one trades with BGG users is even more work for less results.

If you have your tradable items listed "for trade" on BGG, then adding them to the math trade is virtually no effort. You load up the OLWLG, click "add games to trade", then go down the list, ultimately doing nothing but clicking the button twice for each entry.

Doh! I really need to read manuals more. That'd... be faster.

Happy enough with my trades - Thunderstone is a great trade, Caylus Magna Carta is lots of fun the time I played it and I got a $40 Cert. Greed Inc. on the list then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip Dan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
tired wrote:
Happy enough with my trades - Thunderstone is a great trade, Caylus Magna Carta is lots of fun the time I played it and I got a $40 Cert. Greed Inc. on the list then.

what happens if you decide to take a GC from your own shop lol, wouldn't that just be the same as giving you money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
johncraven wrote:
tired wrote:

what happens if you decide to take a GC from your own shop lol, wouldn't that just be the same as giving you money

Yeah. That would be pretty shady...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gresch
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
johncraven wrote:
tired wrote:

How is that shady? He runs a business that sells games. I'm sure he pays for the games he plays even if it is only cost. Otherwise he's stealing from his own business and then he probably wouldn't have been around for as long as he has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gresch
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:

This is the kind of immature idiotic rant I would expect to find in an American math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
johncraven wrote:
tired wrote:

uhh I wasn't implying it was shady, just funny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured as much Kaiwen.

And Ryan is entirely correct. I 'buy' my games from the company the same way any employee would - at a discount, but not entirely at cost. So a GC to me works exactly the same as it would for anyone else - I just get a little better discount.

I can't take games out of inventory as I wish - or else I'd be out of business. Though with a ton of games.

Tao

johncraven wrote:
Cannibal Ox wrote:
johncraven wrote:
tired wrote:

uhh I wasn't implying it was shady, just funny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy Manning
Canada
Mount Pearl
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Did anyone notice that an item was deleted? It was deleted somewhere before item #212. It doesn't affect the outcome since we are using the online tool, but usually someone speaks up when this happens.

Surprisingly, no I didn't. Though the last day I did not get any subscription item from the Math Trade, and I'm sure something was added, so it was probably just an issue with my subscription items. It's usually not an issue to have something deleted, just a problem if you do it by number (which I have in the past). Thanks for pointing it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy Manning
Canada
Mount Pearl
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Michael Becker wrote:

Daniel is right. Setting up one-for-one trades is a lot more work. You send out trade proposals, and rarely hear back. Yes, you do work with a math trade, and sometimes you don't get a trade. But you are far more likely to make a trade than if you just try to work one on one with people.

Plus, you get people like Ryan who like you put up things that make your mind go...
HUH-WHAT-NOW?!
Baconnaise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |