Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Alhambra» Forums » Variants

Subject: SoloPlay Variant for Alhambra and all 20 Expansions is now available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread describes/discusses the design and development of the Alhambra SoloPlay variant.

The download is available using the following link(s):
Alhambra Base Game SoloPlay Rules
The file includes a player aid that helps in scoring tracking and playing the game.
Rules for all 20 of the current expansions contained in the “Big Box” use the following link:
Alhambra 20 Expansions Rules

This file is #24 in the SoloPlay series.
More game files available here on the Geek can be accessed from the following Geeklist:
SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek

SoloPlay- BGG user GameRulesforOne
Design Goals: Improve game value by providing a challenging solo variant that plays like the original. Alhambra is a new game to my collection which contains a high reduced player value which made it a candidate for a SoloPlay variant.

Preface:
I was mislead to think that this game was boring with too much luck and does not accommodate more than 3 players etc. I did not buy the game for my 1st 2 years in the southeast. Then the Big Box became available and I watched the video compilations for the modules and looked up the price etc. and it was over. I wanted to get this regardless of other opinions. I do not regret the purchase as it has received a lot of play since it arrived at the beginning of the year.

The modules make the difference and if you want to play with more players play as teams, problem solved. It was obvious that there certainly is a mix of chance in the game with the tile draws and the money cards but this does little to take away the competitive fun in the game.

I give the base game a rating of 7 but with the modules an 8.5. The variety in the play with the modules gives the game the legs it needs to be regularly interesting without over complicating it too much, barring a couple of them.

SoloPlay Alhambra Design Comments:

To make the game interesting as a SoloPlay game I wanted to ramp up the tension, reduce the luck and incorporate the modules. There has to be significant diversity and challenge to making it a good solo game. So the 2 month+ journey begins …

I knew going in that the base game had to be dealt with before going forward and started by focusing on the tile draws. It is a bit too random for me since you are not able to look into the future at all. Each flip brought a sudden must buy or a money draw so the actions seemed programmed. There also needed to be more than a random draw of tiles for your opponent. That certainly was not going to work.

Like when I was designing the El Grande solo variant, Alhambra presented some natural setups when you break down the elements. Such as 54 tiles, remove 2 and divide by 4 and you have 4 stacks of 13. The 2 tiles removed gives the active player less than perfect knowledge about the make up of the game. There are 4 market positions and the 13 tiles would each feed a specific position. OK, this is looking good so let’s play.

Nope, still not right. I want to be able to plan. Ahh … turn the top “future” tile faceup. Perfect now I can collect money and plan beyond what the current market will bear. But this became a bit too easy after a few plays … enter the 2 competitors.

Opponent #1: Your active opponent is a leech. He takes actions based on what you do and can mess with your future planning as well as selectively take current market tiles. The player needs to build 2 Alhambras now and as this idea was coming together it was noted that the game was gaining on average 2-3 more tiles than the active player which seemed to be offset by the way you build walls. This “perfect” offset set the wheels in motion for some heavy competition.

Opponent #2: The “SoloPlay” opponent is a pace setter who gains 1 “virtual” tile of each color just before each scoring round. This prevents you from just getting 1 more than your opponent and then kind of sitting back. You have to continually press forward.

With your opponents lined up to put the pressure on you, you have got to bring you’re “A” game. I now focused on increasing the number of decision points and this was accomplished somewhat “un-intuitively”. The key came from a relatively inert option, the taking of money. Depending on the player’s actions, money can be taken by your opponent instead of tiles which becomes a crucial decision. You simply are not able to buy a tile every turn. Therefore, each turn you have to look at the current tiles, the future tiles and what money is available to determine how best to go forward in the following 2 turns. Then you have to consider when the scoring might come up to determine if taking a less than optimal move is better at this point to increase your scoring opportunity. This is kind of a short term gain at the cost of long term plans. Side note: I recall that in one game I closed in my Alhambra completely just as the 1st scoring came up. This decision ultimately won me the game as I garnered a couple extra wall points given that I had the necessary colored tiles to score well. I then opened up my Alhambra and made a couple of key buys to ride it out to the finish line.

Trouble on the horizon …
As I play tested the base game for 2+ weeks (it may have been 3+) I started to notice scoring fluctuations. There was a problem that I needed to pin down. Some games were extremely easy and others almost impossible. I noted that the position of the 2nd scoring card was the problem. As my skills in play increased I could drive for 2 rounds of “short” term gains and then if the early scoring came up. I could run the table relatively easy. Of course this was kind of a boon or bust situation. This needed to be addressed.

The fix:
I like having a random scoring versus an absolute known because the player already had an advantage in wall building. I just did not want it too random as to add a strong luck element. The solution did 2 things; it made the play consistent and added a game leveling mechanic. Sweet … Let’s give it a spin. Yeah, that works nicely and the scoring was surprisingly tight given all that is going on during the course of the game.

How I feel Soloplaying:
You start off with a strong money hand (7 cards) which gives you a strong setup game which is worth few points in the 1st scoring. This was a nice offset. Then you move on into phase 2 working toward the 2nd scoring. There is strong critical mass that builds as it sometimes seems to take forever to get to the 2nd scoring. Sometimes it feels like the wheels are about to come off and then scoring hits. Once this is over I can start to focus on what I have left at my disposal (a weak money hand and this transition point is very difficult to address) to propel me to the finish. More often than not I am just trying to get a break even finish to pull out the win. To think that you will dominate in 4 colors and have this big wall is very wishful thinking. I don’t think it ever happened. I use the walls to offset the color deficit.

The aftermath:
It seemed almost every game ended with me winning or losing by less than 5. Every now and then I would take some big chances and just get burned bad losing by 30+ points. You can’t just randomly make choices. You have to stick with the fundamentals of maintaining a good purchasing hand while staying focused on the opportunities to get actions. I would seem to forget this periodically.

There is a significant challenge in the SoloPlay variant. I am concerned that it may be too high for the casual player, so much so that I added a couple of playing “outs” that can help in getting the player back in. These are subtle but significant. If you are behind after the 1st scoring you have not won or lost. If you are within 10-15 points when the 2nd scoring hits, you are still OK. More than this and it is likely going to be really bad when the final scoring hits because the game likely has 6-10 more tiles than you which walls cannot compensate for.

Goal of the rule design
1. Keep the primary mechanic intact.
2. Give the game maximum replayability.
3. Focus on developing a high level of challenge for the experienced player.
4. Keep the same game flow and quick play time.

Comments are always welcome.

Strategies:
1. It is all about flow. Choosing the exact cost purchase is not a no-brainer because the game’s reactions to your action(s) changes with each choice.
2. Focus on the money cards. Often they will provide the keys to the puzzle of the best option.
3. Control the opponents in-game scoring opportunities. There are Alhambra size and number of like color limits that need to be taken note of. It is unlikely that you will not give up a little scoring to your opponent.
4. Planning for the future. It really goes without saying. If you are not planning then you are losing.
5. Don’t flame out in the 1st scoring round. You are generally better served to focus on the 2nd scoring making sure that you are close to your opponent when it happens.

Final Thoughts

Setup time: about 7 minutes
Play time: about 45-60 minutes

I really enjoyed the development of the variant. There were problems to solve all over the place. The game was play-tested to death to the point of burnout. I wanted to ensure that the project was completed the way it started and near the end it took a lot of effort to make it happen. The rules editing was very difficult especially when it comes to adding clarity with few words. But it is done …

I will continue this in the Big Box forum with a discussion of the addition of the modules. A whole new set of problems to deal with, 20 of them to be exact.

I hope you have fun with this variant and find that it provides a great deal of re-playability.

If you have questions about the rules, you can be post them here or to this user’s mailbox to be answered individually, if needed. I will add a FAQ to this post as I see the need.

Other games that will be/are available from SoloPlay/GameRulesforOne are posted within a Geeklist that I created: SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek

All new variants and information about upcoming projects will be listed there.

A game that sits in a closet is a waste. Get it out and play it any way you can. These are just my ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning I created a flowchart for this variant, intent on overcoming my being flummoxed by the rules; I re-read them about 10 times or so to make sure I'm not missing anything. And I just attempted this again tonight - and lost 269 to 130.

If I am playing this correctly than this is a futile exercise. If I take money... the game gets a tile. If I overpay for a tile... the game gets a tile. Basically, my final Alhambra was 18 tiles to the game's 32. How do you possibly beat an opponent at Alhambra who will gain almost twice as many tiles as you in any given game?

The only way he doesn't get a tile on a turn is if you pay exact cost... and only about a half dozen or so opportunities will present themselves in a game of Alhambra to do that. Indeed with an 18:32 ratio, there were apparently only 4 turns that he didn't gain a tile.

So am I playing this right? What's the scoop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:

This morning I created a flowchart for this variant, intent on overcoming my being flummoxed by the rules; I re-read them about 10 times or so to make sure I'm not missing anything. And I just attempted this again tonight - and lost 269 to 130.

If I am playing this correctly than this is a futile exercise. If I take money... the game gets a tile. If I overpay for a tile... the game gets a tile. Basically, my final Alhambra was 18 tiles to the game's 32. How do you possibly beat an opponent at Alhambra who will gain almost twice as many tiles as you in any given game?

The only way he doesn't get a tile on a turn is if you pay exact cost... and only about a half dozen or so opportunities will present themselves in a game of Alhambra to do that. Indeed with an 18:32 ratio, there were apparently only 4 turns that he didn't gain a tile.

So am I playing this right? What's the scoop?
Comments: Refering to my comment in the design thread.
GameRulesforOne wrote:
There is a significant challenge in the SoloPlay variant. I am concerned that it may be too high for the casual player, so much so that I added a couple of playing “outs” that can help in getting the player back in. These are subtle but significant. If you are behind after the 1st scoring you have not won or lost. If you are within 10-15 points when the 2nd scoring hits, you are still OK. More than this and it is likely going to be really bad when the final scoring hits because the game likely has 6-10 more tiles than you which walls cannot compensate for.
Also refer to the strategy notes in the design thread.

My suggestion is to play just till the 1st scoring and use the easy rules. As I noted when I was designing the game I had to change my way of thinking to take advantage of the game conditions.
1. It is so important that you do not allow your money hand to go empty. There needs to be a flow to it. Sometimes I will take money a couple of turns because the game will get tiles that I can deal with to aid future turn(s). It is important to chain turns when you can and only good hand management can achieve this.
2. Take note when it is possible to have the game take 10 in money instead of tile placement. You need to try to milk the situation if possible.
3. Build a decent wall. You can win without it but it is certainly rare. A wall 5+ by 1st scoring, 12+ by 2nd scoring and 15+ by final scoring is a good focus. If you can do better it makes "giving up" tiles a much easier proposition.

The biggest challenge in the game is the time between the 1st and 2nd scoring. As I noted, you don't want to flame out to achieve a good 1st scoring because it is not worth much and then put yourself in a position where you buy 1 tile and then need to build up only to repeat it again. The game will just gain too many tiles and as you noted you will get slammed. It has happened to me many times until I changed my way of thinking.

One of the the last plays before I released my variant I was down big after the 1st scoring and was considering restarting when I just told myself I put this thing together and I can do this. I was able to make up the deficit through strong money management and a focus on flow and timing. I did not want to give the game too many bonuses (expanding his Alhambra) and was able to control this. Ultimately I won and realized that there are many ways to victory if you are patient.

To your point of tile distribution: I normally end up within 2-4 tiles of my opponent at game end and maybe lead just before the final scoring where the wheels start to come off and then the game ends.

You have to learn how to build good and bad Alhambras which took a bit of time to figure out. Kind of a spiral thing and the tiles with no walls are good for your opponent to get because it makes it easier for you.

The short of it is that there are many levels to the play that integrate in a way that requires a significant amount of thought to be successful and as I mentioned this was a concern.

If I get a chance I will see what I can do to work up some kind of sample game. This is quite complicated given the variables that are involved.

Take the play in chunks and hopefully something will click. It is not a futile experience. I win about 40% of the time and many times I lose by less than 10 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. Take note when it is possible to have the game take 10 in money instead of tile placement. You need to try to milk the situation if possible.
This is only an option on the 2nd action when you've already paid exact on the 1st action... which is a rare opportunity (only about a half dozen times in a game if you're lucky)

Quote:
3. Build a decent wall. You can win without it but it is certainly rare. A wall 5+ by 1st scoring, 12+ by 2nd scoring and 15+ by final scoring is a good focus. If you can do better it makes "giving up" tiles a much easier proposition.

I had a 12 wall by 1st scoring, and an 18 by 2nd. Game only had 4 wall the whole game.

Quote:
To your point of tile distribution: I normally end up within 2-4 tiles of my opponent at game end and maybe lead just before the final scoring where the wheels start to come off and then the game ends.

!!! I do not see how this is possible.

The game gets a tile every time you take a card! You have to take cards a lot in Alhambra. And whenever you overpay for a tile (like I mentioned before: rare not to) he also gets a tile. I looked again today to make sure if I had the rule right.

Quote:
c. Overpay for a building tile... The game builds 1 specific building tile from the building market and takes 1 money card...(etc.).

Perhaps if that was an OR instead of an AND it would be winnable. But right now, I just don't see how, even with your strategy points.

You cannot beat an opponent at Alhambra that outgains you 2 tiles to 1! Even if they have bad walls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameRulesforOne wrote:
jedimusic wrote:
This is only an option on the 2nd action when you've already paid exact on the 1st action... which is a rare opportunity (only about a half dozen times in a game if you're lucky)
Response: Your frequency should be much higher. You have the ability (need to maintain) to look ahead at the coming tiles to plan what cards you will need. If taking a card now to give up a tile permits you to be able to make 2 exact purchases you are coming out ahead. If you take money for 2 turns in a row and this allows you to pay exact twice then you are coming out even. It is the balancing of these two factors that need to be weighed. Sure there will be times when you can't do either but as you peel back the layers of play you will start to see the possibilities.

GameRulesforOne wrote:
jedimusic wrote:
I had a 12 wall by 1st scoring, and an 18 by 2nd. Game only had 4 wall the whole game.
Response: OK, it appears that walls are not the issue unless your Alhambra construction is limiting your buying.

GameRulesforOne wrote:
jedimusic wrote:
!!! I do not see how this is possible.

The game gets a tile every time you take a card! You have to take cards a lot in Alhambra. And whenever you overpay for a tile (like I mentioned before: rare not to) he also gets a tile. I looked again today to make sure if I had the rule right.
Response: It is doable as I mention below. If you choose to overpay, it best be a very good or necessary building because the penalty is steep. Again, this was something that I was able to take extreme advantage of during play-testing prompting a change as noted ...

GameRulesforOne wrote:
c. Overpay for a building tile... The game builds 1 specific building tile from the building market and takes 1 money card...(etc.).
jedimusic wrote:
Perhaps if that was an OR instead of an AND it would be winnable. But right now, I just don't see how, even with your strategy points.
Response: During playtesting the overpayment "penalty" of "or" was too tame. I could easily take advantage of it. I think I originally has it as part of the rules for awhile.

jedimusic wrote:
You cannot beat an opponent at Alhambra that outgains you 2 tiles to 1! Even if they have bad walls:)
Response: Agreed, you will lose. The approach to the play has to be adjusted. As I noted, I used to lose badly just like you mentioned. This changed,however, when I started to manage my money hand better and take advantage of the tile "look ahead". As I mentioned, in my games there is not a 2 to 1 edge. Let me see what I can do to work out a sample game and we can touch base on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to touch base on your concerns.

I played and documented a SoloPlay game with the base game only (no expansions). I will create a full sample game file and upload it when I can figure out how to make it look presentable and understandable. It took a long time to play the game having to write down everything going on.

However here is an overview:

Up till 1st scoring:
7 exact payments
Tiles: Me=8 / Game=5
Walls: Me=11 / Game=3
Score: Me=17 / Game=11

Up till 2nd scoring:
6 additional exact payments
Total tiles: Me=13 / Game=14
Walls: Me=14 / Game=4
Score: Me=66 / Game=49

Up till final scoring:
3 additional exact payments
Total tiles: Me=26 +1 reserve / Game=25
Walls: Me=24 / Game=8
Score: Me=177 / Game=155

Penalties that I gave up:
+3 poor Alhambra construction in turn 20 before 2nd scoring
+5/+5/+10 (20 total) for too much green before final scoring
+5 for too much brown before final scoring
+10 for an empty draw stack requiring reshuffle
+2 for having 1 more tile than the game in the end

This game turned out really well and I was able to have a good wall position early due to a chancey pickup of the 5 white 3 wall tile. I had some good strings of exact payments some required careful setup to be pulled off. I wanted to keep my look aheads open and for most of the game this happened though it was a bit touch and go right at the end. My Alhambra construction was a bit unusual but I was able to fill in the gaps and getting the 8 green (2 wall) helped in plugging a wall gap. This gave me the cushion that I needed to hold out to the end.

I was very concerned in the last 4 rounds because I figured I had the game won but I couldn't get the money to buy out the yellow or blue tiles. The game started gaining in the tile count. It ended when all of the drawstacks were emptied and the orange spot could not be filled. I needed/wanted 2 of the tiles and drew money to try to guarantee that I would get them. Still the final money turn was a bit lucky that the game turned an 8 orange on the final money draw permitting me to scoop up 3 tiles for a song.

A lot of things worked out really well, especially with the walls, to create the master victory. A master victory is rare even for me. I did not want you to think that this would happen every time. It doesn't.

Hopefully you will stick with it and play through the sample game when I get it posted so that you can see how I managed my money hand. I rely very heavily on the look aheads (future tiles) and sometimes draw money even though I can make an exact payment. It is this part of the game that victories are made from and I enjoy that aspect because you are able to control, to some degree, your fate. The type of money management in the SoloPlay variant is much greater than in the normal play. It had to be to make it challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to document a game. I still don't understand how you make so many exact payments.

Making exact payments is the key to this whole variant apparently, because if you don't the game will outgain you building 2 to 1 and bury you.

You're saying that in order to make more exact payments, you need to strategically draw money cards that match the number on tiles (particularly "looking ahead" to future tiles).

But here's the problem:

In order to make exact payments you have to draw money cards. When you draw money cards, the game not only gets a tile (perhaps one that you were targeting for an exact payment) but also a future tile is obscured ("limited cleanup"). So how can you collect money cards to target future tiles for exact payment, when said future tiles are not revealed, because you are having to take money to buy the tiles with?! (whew!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
You're saying that in order to make more exact payments, you need to strategically draw money cards that match the number on tiles (particularly "looking ahead" to future tiles).

But here's the problem:

In order to make exact payments you have to draw money cards. When you draw money cards, the game not only gets a tile (perhaps one that you were targeting for an exact payment) but also a future tile is obscured ("limited cleanup"). So how can you collect money cards to target future tiles for exact payment, when said future tiles are not revealed, because you are having to take money to buy the tiles with?! (whew!)
Response: Yep, that is the trick. Before I take money I look to see what the game might get. If I am OK with that then I let it happen. The focus now is on getting my look ahead back by purchasing the tile that came down (I try not to let the game take the look ahead tiles is it is feasible). More often I will take the "8", for example to prevent the game from taking the 8 that I want. You want to be in control of which tile the game gets. Sometimes it is unavoidable but you do the best you can. If the 8 is what you need then it is a no-brainer move. You buy the tile and the look ahead is back.

The real trick in the way that I play is when to buy 2 tiles in a turn because this potentially weakens your game/money position. I did do this a few times in the sample game because it made sense to or I was concerned about a scoring card coming out. I don't like making 2 exact payments in the same turn unless I can set up my next turn.

So in a nutshell you have to be focused on both this and next turn when you make your decision. Having no look aheads is really bad. You are now working on luck which is the element I don't like in the multi-player game.

My 11 turns before 1st scoring were:
1. Exact & take money (game takes 10)
2. Exact & take money (game takes 10)
3. Exact & take money (game takes 10)
4. Take money (game gets a current tile) (I took the 5 that the game would have used to take the 5 future tile)
5. Exact & take money (game takes future tile) (it made sense for it to take the future tile)
6. Take money (game gets a current tile)
7. Exact & take money (game takes 10)
8. Exact & take money (game takes 10)
9. Overpay - game takes "companion tile" and a money card
10. Take money - (game gets a current tile)
11. Exact & take money (game takes 10)
then 1st Scoring

I do focus on trying to increase the odds of getting 10 in the money pool by selectively taking the money cards maybe even taking less than 5. You have to take at least 1 card. This is another component of building a usable money hand that never drops too low in the total card count. Getting down to 3 or fewer cards is bad news. I did do this once during the game and was very concerned that I would get stuck. I had to draw money for like 4 out of the next 5 turns giving up a block of tiles. I was then able to stabilize the ship and prepare for the upcoming 2nd scoring. Once the 2nd scoring passes you again need to change your method of play to figure out if you want to burn through a stack to end the game early or if you need to continue to balance the tile draw stacks. Its like 3 games in 1.

Thanks for this dialogue by the way. Hopefully others will find this helpful and that it leads to gaming success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll give it another run - maybe tonight if all goes well.

Quote:
Thanks for this dialogue by the way. Hopefully others will find this helpful and that it leads to gaming success.

Sure - and please know that any frustration I have is tempered with appreciation for your considerable design talents with these solo variants in general.

And any frustration with understanding the rules/strategy is tempered with the realization that these are very elaborate rulesets and would be challenging for anyone to communicate on paper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave it another shot (played 3 times last night actually) and I think I’ve got it now. I don’t remember ever working so hard to learn a game/variant! It’s definitely all about gathering money cards to sum equal the tiles showing. I know you’ve mentioned that, but it can't be emphasized enough. I was expecting something that "felt" similar to the multi-player, but this feels very little like the multi-player version. But it is pretty cool.

Game 1: I lost on the last turn, because in the tile “lottery” the game got a tile I couldn’t place. I was way behind in points anyway.

Game 2: Lost on the third turn! Weird situation: two 3-wall tiles were in the current market – they were a 4 and a 5 cost tiles respectively. And there were 4 and 5 money cards face up as well! Neither of these tiles would fit in the Game’s Alhambra. I couldn’t take money, because he would have to take one of the 3-wall tiles. I couldn’t overpay for one of them, because the other was “corresponding” and he would have taken it and I would lose. I couldn’t buy anything else. So I lost.

Game 3: made it to the end and lost 178-152. So haven’t won yet, but I think I’m catching on.

I don’t know how to describe how to play this game to people better than you did originally, but hopefully this thread will help a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Game 2: Lost on the third turn! Weird situation: two 3-wall tiles were in the current market – they were a 4 and a 5 cost tiles respectively. And there were 4 and 5 money cards face up as well! Neither of these tiles would fit in the Game’s Alhambra. I couldn’t take money, because he would have to take one of the 3-wall tiles. I couldn’t overpay for one of them, because the other was “corresponding” and he would have taken it and I would lose. I couldn’t buy anything else. So I lost.
Comment: Yeah, bad situation. When you first start building the opposing Alhambra you need to keep it as open as possible to allow you an out in this situation. I always take note of the 3 wall tiles because they can be very restricting as can having all of 1 color in the current tile market. In my sample game this came up with green and I took 20 points in scoring hits before I could gain a color mix again. Something else to watch out for.

The future tiles are so very important. The idea for the future tiles came out of a situation similiar to what you mentioned (I just don't like too much luck in general-but the tile turns were so swingy). I wanted to be able to plan for what was going to happen.

You are correct about the "working hard" (I like to use the word planning) because it gives me the feeling that I am in control of what is going on. A multi-player game of Alhambra is a relatively light experience. This same light experience just did not work in this case much like Ticket to Ride. It was too easy to do well. I am not a fan of easy.

Glad to hear that it is going better. Once you start seeing consist competitive scoring you will know that you are on the right track.

FYI - I think that the format for my sample game is fairly easy to understand. Keep an eye out for it. This may help a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played 2 more times over the weekend. the first was a massive defeat - Lost 238-138 (exactly 100 pts).

But the second - I won 179-161! I discovered that overpaying for a tile on 1st action is rarely ever beneficial. I look to do it on 2nd or not at all.

I'm looking to adding in the 1st expansion (Vizier's Favor) - I have a question on that, but I'll ask over in the other thread.

Thanks for the tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I'm looking to adding in the 1st expansion (Vizier's Favor) - I have a question on that, but I'll ask over in the other thread.
Comments: I answered your question in the file thread. A word of warning with the expansions. You may have to relearn how to play with each expansion that you incorporate. Some expansions seem to really want to take your focus away from playing the normal game. This is generally not a good thing.

I enjoy the vizier's favor expansion with this variant. Being able to make that exact purchase and then being able to flip back 1 of the tiles (on a future turn) is an interesting decision especially when you are getting close to a scoring round. And then when you have them all turned up you don't want to use them because you want the points. Good stuff.

A little tidbit: The hardest expansion for me was the roles. Trying to manipulate the money cards to reduce the game's bid and then to pay money for "no tile(s)" permitting the game to expand as my money hand was weakened because I just could not let the game have that role was a tough thing to wrap my head around. I generally would play with 3 expansions but when I had the roles in play, I reduced to 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M7 Give no chance to boredom
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
Some day I'll finish my game.
badge
If U wanna play with me try @ Boardgamearena or @ CABA or Playbar in Madrid
mbmbmbmbmb
I there any plan to include Alhambras last expansion "Falconers" so al variants are covered for a single player?
Thnx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoloPlayGames
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matasiete wrote:
I there any plan to include Alhambras last expansion "Falconers" so al variants are covered for a single player?
Thnx.
There are no immediate plans to pick up the new expansion. The Big Box was a great deal. Had I not bought that I might have never done the first 20 expansion modules. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls