1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Sneaky Sci Fi Game Design Contest - WIN GG. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Military Tactic Artificial Intelligence called Skynet has become self-aware and declared war against humanity. First went off the bombs. Big cities were destroyed. Then Skynet introduced killer machines. We learned to hide, we tried to survive. We learned that some machines can be destroyed, and how to do this. And then Skynet introduced Terminators - machines of humanoid shapes, infiltrators, killers. It's still learning. Designing new machines. In three generations we will not be able to stop it. Skynet is immortal and still learning while we are dying off. There is no one to teach our kids medicine, anatomy, electronics... Soon Terminators will be shooting to intelligent and very observant primitive monkeys. Humanity is lost...
(Terminator)

Cylons are after us. First they have destroyed our home. All twelve planets. Nuked. Annihilated. Now they are trying to destroy the last of living people. Our only hope is the last Battlestar - obsolete Gallactica, huge military spaceship designed for launching Viper fighters. We have only handful of civilian ships. Supplies are low. We are tired. We are depressed. We are frightened. We are infiltrated... Did I mention that new Cylon models look like us?
(Battlestar Gallactica)

Today is the Independence Day. At least in America. But does it really matter anymore when Earth is invaded by aliens? All of the Earth. They are shooting us like ducks. With their superior firepower they have destroyed monuments of our culture and history. Their technology is far more advanced than ours. Their ships are resistant to our weaponry. We tried to negotiate, but what does a deer have to say during the hunting season really doesn't matter to the hunters... That's what we are for them - the hunt. Our moans and cry for help is nothing but whining and barking.
(The Independence Day)

So... You want to know what is that Moloch you have been hearing about for a while? Look north. See those black clouds? Those are not clouds, but fumes from it's factories, where it builds killer machines. It abducts people. Experiments on them. Uses their brains for his computations. Oh, and fumes are probably toxic by the way... Moloch doesn't really care about environment. It doesn't need it. But since you care so much about trees and birds, you should probably look south. It's called neo-jungle. Wild mutated forest, once you enter you never come back. When Moloch hit us with biological and chemical weapon it kinda' mutated... So... killer-machines, killer-mutants, killer-gangs, poverty, diseases and extinction. Have a nice day...
(Neuroshima)

That was fun. We should do it some time again. Wait... Did that black cat just...? Grace? Why am I seeing green symbols? Grace? You see those too? Ouch... ... Who are you? Why do my eyes hurt so bad? Where is Grace? Why do I have implants in my hands and head? Are you aliens? What do you mean by "humanity is enslaved and prisoned in virtual reality while machines harvest their body heat as battery power"? Please tell be we have an army... We don't?
(Matrix)

It's not a moon
(Star Wars)

See the pattern here? Those are not only the Sci-Fi movies. Those are visions of the future. Very, very dark visions... Let's face it. Humanity is pretty much screwed and facing superior power. To survive we have to do something sneaky. Something very, very sneaky... When you are facing the extinction there is only one question that counts: how much of a ninja are you?

Welcome game designers. I really hope I didn't bore you with my introduction to this game design contest. Your task is to design a game that will be set in Sci-Fi themed setting of oppression and facing a superior power. Remember - direct conflict is not an option. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Detailed rules of the contest below. Rules look complicated but aren't really. Bit wordy maybe, but that is because I wanted to make them clear. If you have any questions ask right away. Before I get to the rules let me explain the origin of the contest idea. That will let you understand rules better and help decide if you want to join us.

As you probably know Print and Play (guild behind this contest) is run by FNH1, who reviews PnP games in his podcast. Once he reviewed Sneaking Mission: Solo, he noticed that the game was easy to find in BGG database, because there are not many games with word "Sneak" in its title. Andrew Tullsen (Howitzer_120mm) saw a contest idea in it - "we need more sneaky games". After short discussion Guild members decided that it would be great if all the games would be set in Sci-Fi setting. When you look at the introductory stories you can pretty much see why... So that's it - if you can think of some cool and dark Sci-Fi setting or have an amateur Sci-Fi writer friend - this contest is for you. If you don't you can still find someone, BGG has proven to be great meeting place of creative types. You have slightly over a month to work on your design. There are only 3 rules that really counts:
- design Sci-Fi themed sneaky game with a sneaky title...
- win GG
- have fun

1. Contests lasts 38 days (a month and a week). To participate, designer have to post game design. Each participant can enter with up to three (3) games. Each game will be judged separately as an individual entry. Game designs should be playable and finished. Unfinished ideas are not eligible.

2. Teaming up to work together on design is allowed.

3. All used graphics has to be legal (Creative Commons or own art).

4. The game must use original components only. Entrants cannot use Carcassonne tiles or Decktet cards or Piecepack bits or those Icehouse things... Generic, common gaming pieces such as regular 6-sided dice, or buttons/counters/pawns are allowed. Components do not have to be all the same shape or size. Any two dimensional shapes are acceptable (3D-"cut, fold and glue" pieces for the game are welcome though). Components count/number of pages is not limited (however please note that it is hard to design a game that will take more that five pages of unique components within a month and smaller games are more likely to be printed and played). There is also no size limit on the rules. If you need 120 pages to explain your game, go for it.

5. Your entry may use any mechanics. It may be for any number of players including solitaire. The game can have any number of turns, including no turns at all. The game should be a game not puzzles (game should be replay-able).

6. There are following limitations on theme:
6.1. Sci-Fi theme. You will have to provide short story to introduce the player to your world. You can write the story yourself. You are allowed to ask someone for help or use any of the Creative Commons Sci-Fi stories/novels that could be found on the Internet, but must get the perimission to do so (from the author). You are not allowed to set a game in any of the copyrighted settings, the stories at the begining of this post were only introduction to general situation. We don't want blah blah copyright IP lawyers on BGG and I don't want to start legal discussion on "non commercial fan-based derivative work and it's legal status" - permission from the story author is absolutely obligatory.
6.2. Humanity is facing superior power. Direct conflict is not an option.
6.3. Same story/setting CAN be used for more than one game.
6.4. Theme introduction story can be maximum of 4500 characters.
6.5. The game has to have something sneaky in it.
6.6. Word "sneaky" (or any grammar form - "sneak", "sneaking") must appear in game title.

7. Game has to be designed DURING the contest time. I'm not a psychic police though, and I can't tell if that game idea haven't stuck in your head since elementary school. As long as game rules or game idea hasn't been published/revealed (on the Internet for example) it's eligible.

8. Post your game to thread via link to downloads and explain how the game works or post the rules. Printable files has to be available for general download from BGG or from outside hosting.

9. The winner will be determined by a poll that I'll create after all the entries are in. I'll create the poll on a separate thread so it gets some front page time and add links (if possible) to each entry's post's page. The poll will be open for one week! (no ties... there will be another poll if two games will gain the same number of votes... Like in championships...)

10. If you entrants change your game based on other the input of other users, it will be up to you to credit your helpers or not. This rule concerns only game design. As stated above, author of the story has to be credited.

11. Any tips given the contest thread will be added to the prize pool, with possibility of adding "third place prize". Also tips I've received when I first announced upcoming contest and consulted rules will be added to the prize pool. Also all Geek Gold collected thanks to moderation and Geek Modders will be added to the prize pool (Actually there was no GeekGold from GeekModding due to the bug that didn't let put this article through GeekMod) GeekMod hickups! After almost 2 weeks I got GG - 3GG added.. The final prize will be announced on opening on the voting thread.

12. Prize pool is 161 GG what you see as a tips ammount on the bottom of this post (due to the fact that contest funders chose this way to transfer GG for prizes to me) + 4GG (geekmod+various tips I received earlier in threads related to this contest). That will be divided into the first prize and second prize in proportions stated on the opening of the VOTING thread. This is guaranteed but not final prizes (see above).

13. Tips given to the VOTING thread will not be added to prize pool. If you insist on giving a tip to the voting thread, GG will be added to next contest I will organize. If I will fail to organize next contest, GG will be added to a contest (organized by someone else) that will be running at that time. There are contest organized from time to time.

14. I'm not eligible to win. I will not enter. I can vote. I'm not funder of this contest. I'm not organizer of this contest. I just run it. Contest idea, credits and most of the prize pool GeekGold is thanks to Andrew Tullsen and Print and Play Guild.

Deadlines of the contest
Print and Play game design contest begins 24th of MAY at 0:00A.M. PST. I know it may seem to be stupid time, but where I live it will be 9:00A.M. Contest ends 1st of July at 3:00P.M. PST. (15:00 in 24h display) midnight of my timezone. Then we will take some time off (decided on quantity of entries, but probably about one week) to playtest games. The voting will start one week after contest end (or more - depends). Voting time - one week. I will create voting poll in voting thread.

Please note that English is not my national language, please point out any mistakes so I could correct those (GeekMail would be nice).

edits:
merged rules 4&5 following pelni's suggestion
fixed numbering of the rules
rules 11 and 12 slightly altered (nothing important, you just have more GG for awards now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea.

You mentioned the non-limit for rulebook length twice.

Technically under most creative commons licenses there is no reason to ask the author for permission since the author has already explicitly given anyone permission to create derivate works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
pelni wrote:
Great idea. :)

You mentioned the non-limit for rulebook length twice.

I do?
I can't see.
Rule 4 is about components, rule 5 about rulebook.
ok, fixed

pelni wrote:
Technically under most creative commons licenses there is no reason to ask the author for permission since the author has already explicitly given anyone permission to create derivate works.

Yeah, technically yes. But it's always nice to ask. Given that guy is till alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neato! I've never participated in one of these contests, so are most games just in playtest phase? Meaning authors have set of rules, component art, etc?

Are the games rated on how they play? Or the concept behind them generally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a finished product, with files available for download, I'm pretty sure. You can always update the gamer later, if you are not asatisfied with the results.

Now, to figure out a great "sneaking" game... hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Shewski wrote:
Neato! I've never participated in one of these contests, so are most games just in playtest phase? Meaning authors have set of rules, component art, etc?

Are the games rated on how they play? Or the concept behind them generally?

It's one of the smaller contests. How much effort will you put into the game is your decision. See Mike Barlow's 4-tile contest for reference: Contest - 4 cards or tiles only - win 15GG But you can always enter with pimped out games like in this contest: Print And Play Contest - Design a Co-Op Game and win GeekGold. It depends on you - how much can you do in a month, and do you manage your time efficiently enough to enter with finished games before the deadline.

Playtesting is not required by the rules - but if you want to win, your game should "work".

I haven't decided on the final form of voting poll yet. It will probably be some kind of "overall impression best game" poll, but maybe I'll introduce other judging categories like overall playability, or rules clarity. See here: Please vote for your favourite 4-tile game or 4-card game or here: Voting for the co-op contest. [POLL]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! Just when I started really putting a lot of work into my backlog of other game designs you go and hose another PnP contest!

All I can say is, at least it's summer and I don't have anything else to do! I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudolfoaligieri123 wrote:

Yeah, technically yes. But it's always nice to ask. Given that guy is till alive.

What purpose would that serve? Drop the author an email to tell them about your game though once it's done instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had an idea for a game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
FNH1 wrote:

I had one yesterday in the evening xP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:

I have three... can't decide which one's gonna be the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Brichs wrote:
FNH1 wrote:

I have three... can't decide which one's gonna be the best.

Rule no. 1.
You don't have to choose.
All you have to do is abandon this silly sleeping habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Arbuckle
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a contest! I've got the glimmerings of an idea right now, starting with the name Sneaking Suspicions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltboy wrote:
Sneaking Suspicions.

Ooh that's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: The rules and tokens have been updated drastically. They're in the process of being uploaded to BGG (the files have been submitted for approval yesterday), so I'm not recommending anyone downloading these files.

Double edit:
Uhm...wow. Something happened, and the entire post got cut, for some reason. Anyways, now you can't download the old rules. I'll post in here, when the new files are up on the the game's BGG entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
And we have a first game...
Interesting, quite generic and light Sci-Fi setting (bit short for me but after all it's a game design contest, not novel writing xP).

Sneaky title...

Components and rules...
It's all there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Edwardson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Time for me to put on my thinking cap and make a sneaking game.... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the first entry already! I just finished writing up the second draft of my first entry.

One thing that I immediately noticed is that the titles are going to get repetitive! I know that was the initial spark for the contest, but every title involving the word 'sneak'... ugh. I'm still working on a good title or two. I'd say that's one of the more challenging aspects of this contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as well I'm particularly sneaky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here goes another entry:

Those Sneaky Humans
Game Rules

The Vermin civilization has taken over the Earth. After a brief fighting, humanity has been wiped out of the face of the planet... but some remain, hidden, courageous, annoying! Those sneaky humans just don't learn when to die! Your task, Vermin Commanders, is to exterminate this species once for all. Secure your supply areas! We cannot tolerate these intrusions any longer! sauron

Those Sneaky Humans is a card game for groups of 6 or more people, ages 8 and up. Playing time is about 2 minutes per player. The objective of the game is to ransack as many supply areas from other players while protecting your own. ninja

Components: One card set for each player in the game containing, one “Alien” card and “Human” cards (numbered from 1 to the number of players).

Setup: Deal the card set to each player. Have each player in clockwise order flip the Human card with the number 1 for the first, 2 for the second, and so on. That will be his area (player) number.

Gameplay: Every turn the participants play a card from their hand face down in the table. The Human cards represent target areas (players) that humans will raid for supplies. If a player uses the Alien card in his turn, all Human cards played against him are removed from the game. If more than a player uses a Human card against the same target area, the crowding draws too much attention and all players targeting that area loose their Human card. If a single player uses a Human card against an area whose player has not played an Alien card, then he has succesfully raided the area and keeps the card shown for scoring purposes. Once all cards are in the table faced down, the cards are revealed and the results are calculated in player's order.

Final scoring: after all Human cards are played (all players have just their Alien card), the player with the most Human cards displayed is the winner. If there is a tie, the number on the Human cards displayed are added as victory points. The highest scorer among those tied wins.

PS Sorry for misspellings.
PS2 I don't think the cards are needed to get the idea. I'm no graphics designer but they can be pretty much done in 5 minutes.

Keep thinking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I like the first entry already! I just finished writing up the second draft of my first entry.

One thing that I immediately noticed is that the titles are going to get repetitive! I know that was the initial spark for the contest, but every title involving the word 'sneak'... ugh. I'm still working on a good title or two. I'd say that's one of the more challenging aspects of this contest!

That requirement for the title screams for someone to make a title like "sneaks on a plane" (or something)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltboy wrote:
Great idea for a contest! I've got the glimmerings of an idea right now, starting with the name Sneaking Suspicions.

schattentanz wrote:
That requirement for the title screams for someone to make a title like "sneaks on a plane" (or something)

Just wanted to throw this title out for anyone who wants to use it: I Got a Sneaking Feeling About This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

That's a fantastic title. Someone needs to make this game, stat!

I have a title running through my head, "You sneaky git!" but can't find a game to go with it. If anyone can, feel free to make a game with that title.

Sneaking Zombies is also a fun title, but can't become a great game. Zombies can't sneak, and aren't exactly great sci-fi material.

Sneaking Space Smugglers has some alitteration going for it, so that's good.

Feel free to use any and all of these titles, if anyone really wants to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll contribute by putting some extra gold in the treasure chest.

I am also eager to donate extra gold to good SOLO PnP games, so if you designer are doubting wether your game should be suitable to play solo or very suitable to play solo or completely designed to play solo, I can help you make the decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Hmmm, how about a game of a group of computer wizkids who hack the systems of the alien attackers?

You can call it: Sneakers

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.