GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,650 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Rainbow Deck - Game Design Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am organizing a game design contest in which participants have to use the Rainbow Deck cardgame system v1.16. Below are the details.

- The contest runs from the day this thread is started, till 31st August 2010 (~3 mths).

- The game that is designed has to use components from the Rainbow Deck cardgame system v1.16 (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59655/rainbow-deck).

The Rainbow Deck is a cardgame system that has a total of 162 cards. There are 12 suits with each suit having 13 ranks, and 6 Joker cards. The suits are represented by both colour and number. The ranks are from 0 to 9, J to K. The cards also numbered from 0 to 119.

The cardgame system is also complemented by 6 colours x 25 chips (red, orange, green, blue, purple, black) which can be used during certain cardgames. In addition, the cardbacks have a 2x3 checkerboard pattern and they can be used to form boards which, together with the chips, can be used to play a variety of abstract games.

Below are the terms used when describing the Rainbow Deck (or RD in short).

The RD has 12 colour or number suits. The first number/colour suit in the deck may be referred to as follows:

red suit
suit 0
0th suit
0th colour
0th colour suit

When used without a modifier, "suit" generally means one of the 12 color suits of the Rainbow Deck. There are 6 dice suits. The first dice suit = dice suit 1, which is formed by combining the red and pink color suits. There are 4 poker suits. The first poker suit = Spades. The Rainbow Deck has cards numbering 00-11K, but for most games that have cards with high numbers, you should omit the face cards, which results in a deck numbered 00-119, for 120 cards. Thus, Rainbow Deck cards 9-15 include 9 from the red suit (0) and 0,1-5 from the pink suit (1). Cards 20-35 include 0,1-9 from the orange suit (2) and 0,1-5 from the yellow suit (3).

- A corresponding Geeklist (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55255/rainbow-deck-gam...) is created for this contest. Participants will enter their game design rules as a comment under the Geeklist. They may also choose to send their rules as a geekmail to me, and I will post them on the geeklist on 31st August 2010.

- Voting is done by clicking on the thumbs up for each entry at the Geeklist. Voting can commence anytime the rules have been posted up on the Geeklist. There will be another 2 weeks of voting only after 31st Aug to cater for the participants who have sent their entries as geekmail to me.

- The top 3 prizes will come from the 3 games with the most thumbs up received. I will have the final say on the ranking of these 3 games. The 1st prize will be 60% of the prize pool, the 2nd 30% and 3rd 10%. The pool is currently 50 GG.

- Kind donation of GG either on this thread, the corresponding geeklist or direct transfer to me will be added to the prize pool.

- For the top 3 games, I also plan to print their rules as a PocketMod to be included in the GameCrafter Rainbow Deck Deluxe package. The games' designer names will be cited. This will hopefully create some exposure for the winners. If the partipant does not agree with this, I will omit his or her game from this PocketMod.

- All the entries submitted are by default under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike licensing. All entries will eventually be archived on the Rainbow Deck wiki. If anyone wishes not to have his or her game arhived on the wiki, I will omit their game from the archive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump this thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Individual Rainbow Deck card images for rules illustrations, rendered by Changcai, are available on the Rainbow Deck wiki:

http://www.ludism.org/rainbow/download/CardImages116.zip

They will also be available from BGG shortly.

Good luck in the contest, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7 more weeks till the contest ends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're working on it! We had a four-person playtest of the latest version of our game just today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4 more weeks till the contest ends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
3 more weeks till the contest ends! Please support, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 week more to go before this contest ends! I was expecting average participation, but certainly more than the 2 entries so far! Anyway, if there are no more entries, I will still be giving out the 1st and 2nd prizes for the 2 entries in the contest.

I guess the Rainbow deck is not that inspiring after all for game designers. Gotta start thinking about the next game system..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a game we are submitting. The design is complete, but we're looking for local blind playtesters (Seattle/Tacoma area) to catch rules ambiguities. We will submit this game by the deadline, whether we find blind testers or not. We just want the rules to be of the highest possible quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:
I guess the Rainbow deck is not that inspiring after all for game designers. Gotta start thinking about the next game system..

I think the contest has been underpromoted. I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere other than BGG, and it's not that easy to find information about it even on the main RD page. I think what you need to do next time (and I hope there is a next time!) is almost spam various game design forums around the Web with announcements of the contest, as well as places like the piecepack and Icehouse lists, where you know there are people who are already willing to design games for game systems.

My wife Marty remarks that the Rainbow deck itself is underpromoted. Also, think of these first few games as seeds. The more games people see available for the RD, the more they will see what can be done with it, and the more they will be inspired to do. So don't give up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwhe wrote:
ccube78 wrote:

I think the contest has been underpromoted.

qft .. this is the first time I read about this contest ..

Won't be submitting stuff now, since it is too late ..

Just as a thought: Make this an open contest, like nestor from nestorgames .. so anyone can submit anything anytime he likes .. without any pressure ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
ccube78 wrote:

I suspect that what you really need is a killer game that needs what the rainbow deck has to offer, and which therefore encourages people to get a rainbow deck. Once the decks are out there, the games will follow.

I am certainly no expert in game systems. But systems would certainly seem to need to offer something different and special. And I'm not sure that the rainbow deck really does that. Of course, I may just not be seeing it, and some other designer might come along with a new way of lookig at things. But at present, what seems to be there for the rainbow deck are lots of games that have been ported from other decks, but nothing really new that exploits the deck.

My Snark sort of tries to do that, but I leave it up to you to decide whether it is successful. Whilst I think it is a good game, I'm not sure it is so good that it would make people go out and buy a rainbow deck when they do not already have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The contest has ended. Do visit the Geeklist below and give your vote by putting a thumbs up for the game which you think should win. The voting period is till 17 Sep, ~ 2 weeks.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55255/rainbow-deck-gam...

Please vote, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, you asked in your game entry how to create a page on the Rainbow Deck Wiki for your game Snark. It's pretty much the same as on any other wiki.

1. Create a link to your new page on another relevant page, such as this one:

http://www.ludism.org/rainbow/OriginalGames

To do so, click Edit this page and probably add the text Snark inside two pairs of square brackets somewhere on the page, with supporting text. (I can't show that here, because BGG uses the same square-bracket convention.)

2. Save the page where you added the link.

3. Click the new link. This will open your new page, where you can paste in the text for your game.

4. Save your new page.

That's it!

Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One last day to vote! Voting closes on 17 Sep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the results of the contest and their prizes!

1st prize (30GG): Duel of Law by Ron Hale-Evans and Marty Hale-Evans (edited)
2nd prize (15GG): Snark by Richard Morris
3rd prize (5GG): Taargus by Kenny VenOsdel

I will be creating a pocket mod version of the rules and upload them on the RD BGG website. Of course, I will first send that version to the designers for their approval and final edits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Changcai! Actually, I am only one of the designers of Duel of Law. My co-author is Marty Hale-Evans (seadragon), and I will be sharing the prize with her.

Congratulations also to Richard Morris and Kenny VenOsdel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.