David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
If you agree, please post. If you disagree. please post.

I wouldn't post any more about this, but I'm willing to if that's what you really want. It doesn't make much sense to me. Your long diatribe ends by saying it would be appropriate to say, "I don't find that funny." Yet that's all that I or anyone else ever said. I didn't see the humor. After explained to me (by someone else) I get it a little bit better, although I still think you could have used various tools of humor to make it funny but didn't really. But obviously it's only my opinion and my perception. Lots of other people did think it was funny. If I said, "It's a Bad Joke," that would be demonstrably untrue. The definition of a good joke is one that many people enjoy, right? Since many people enjoyed it, and since they found it funny (I think), it's probably a good joke. That's entirely consistent with my original opinion that it's not at all funny and current opinion that it's only very slightly funny.

The biggest paradox here is that I chose to express my opinion that I don't see the humor in it in a humorous/ironic way and now you're lambasting me over and over because you say what I expressed is ok but you didn't find it funny! After going on and on and on about how you would never criticize someone else's sense of humor! Wow.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
Australia
Darlington
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DscGlfr wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
The definition of a good joke is one that many people enjoy, right?

No. A good joke can be a good joke even if only one person thinks so. It's an opinion.

One of my favorite comedians is Anthony Jeselnik. A lot of people I've introduced him to, hate his comedy and think the guy is an asshole. I think the guy is a legend. It happens.
Andy Kaufman too.

There are many forms of humour. Some people find watching others get injured hilarious, not me; but I did enjoy this review, it was funny for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Rising
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yeah, there's no way too measure what's funny. If you find something funny, then it is funny. To you, at least, and that's all that matters.

There's really no point in debating what's funny or not. If someone tells a joke and you happen to like it; great. If not, then stick to the things that you do enjoy. No need to be a jerk about it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Are DaviddesJ & mateooo roommates?

Enjoyed the sardonic review... thank you...

I am not sure if DaviddesJ just had to have his inital "must of forgot the humor" as a cross-post jab, which was of some serious weak sauce.

However, mateeooo - why he even responded - scored him less points.

Then DaviddesJ, instead of bringing down the serious hurt, he acts like he doesn't get sarcasm? What - OK - you come out with a weak leading jab, so don't follow it up with a hair-pull. (most Yanks don't get sarcasm - unfortunately. I think the Brits have the upper hand in sledge hammer wit - except Ambrose Bierce). That was seriously leading with a glass jaw, DaviddesJ. Teeing himself up for the KO.

However, instead of closing out the match, mateeooo donned his "Give a Quice a Chance" shirt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgUktfdDy4) and goes into some back-n-forth on the "PC" train on proper forum responses. After the OP - I just grew slack jawed.

Thus, turning the whole brawl into sissy fest.

No doubt mateeooo has the talent to go the distance, however this was as "awkward" to watch as when Newman got the beat down by Kennedy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n0mgkaEGQc

STAY DOWN LUKE!

Review 9.5
DaviddesJ vs. mateeooo .5




11 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Handbags were the real losers here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Prohobo wrote:
Are DaviddesJ & mateooo roommates?

Tragically close to the truth...
But the details of that star-crossed partnership are too heartbreaking to discuss here, or truly, anywhere...

Prohobo wrote:
(most Yanks don't get sarcasm - unfortunately. I think the Brits have the upper hand in sledge hammer wit - except Ambrose Bierce).

A truly offensive comment... Apparently you are as ignorant of the comical stylings of the great American Scott Thompson, or the subtle and inscrutable genius of Leo Anthony Gallagher.

It is also a shame to see such blatantly cruel and unfair generalizations being made about the noble American people, much like other unjust stereotypes like "All Americans are fat" (only most) and "Americans dont know anything about foreign politics" (I know for a fact that Silvio Berlesconi likes prostitutes, and Prince William could do sooo much better than Kate Middleton)

This is a sad day in Anglo-American relations... perhaps even worse than the day Tony Blair told George W Bush that there were WMDs in Iraq... a practical joke with catastrophic results.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DscGlfr wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
The definition of a good joke is one that many people enjoy, right?

No. A good joke can be a good joke even if only one person thinks so. It's an opinion.

One of my favorite comedians is Anthony Jeselnik. A lot of people I've introduced him to, hate his comedy and think the guy is an asshole. I think the guy is a legend. It happens.

When I was young[er], I'd on occasion purchase a "Joke Book". Half of the jokes were either:

1) Stupid and not funny
2) Cute but not funny
3) Stupid and Cute but not funny

The other half were funny.

I wish I only bought half the book - the half I thought was funny.

Funny how that works, eh?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is a sad day in Anglo-American relations... perhaps even worse than the day Tony Blair told George W Bush that there were WMDs in Iraq... a practical joke with catastrophic results.
I thought Dick Cheney told Bush that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Quote:
This is a sad day in Anglo-American relations... perhaps even worse than the day Tony Blair told George W Bush that there were WMDs in Iraq... a practical joke with catastrophic results.
I thought Dick Cheney told Bush that?

That sounds like a clever bit of British propoganda...

Special Relationship indeed...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Quote:
This is a sad day in Anglo-American relations... perhaps even worse than the day Tony Blair told George W Bush that there were WMDs in Iraq... a practical joke with catastrophic results.
I thought Dick Cheney told Bush that?

That sounds like a clever bit of British propoganda...

Special Relationship indeed...
Are you joking now?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My housemate kept asking me why I was falling over laughing. Umm, I mean ... preach it, brother!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:


Maybe it's a generational thing? Every ounce on the humor (humour) eluded me.

I'm 56 and laughed my @ss off. Does that mean anything?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Carmilla wrote:
Rastak wrote:


Maybe it's a generational thing? Every ounce on the humor (humour) eluded me.

I'm 56 and laughed my @ss off. Does that mean anything?


You better watch out, I might give you a hug.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugs gratefully accepted. cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Morse
Wales
Penarth
vale of glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Alter Ego wrote:
If you dont find it funny, and lots of other people seem to find it funny... well, going out of the way to criticize someone's attempt at levity and fun seems like kind of a DOUCHEBAG thing to do. Not only are you insulting the reviewer, but potentially all of the people who have found a little joy and humor in the review.

What about the people who do think it's funny? Is it ok for them to say so? It seems to me a DOUCHEBAG thing to say, because they are insulting the people who don't think it's funny. Why is that ok?

I am still not sure whether it is intended to be funny, although I am leaning in that direction simply because others think so. But even knowing that it is intended to be funny, I have no idea what people would think is funny about it. I was hoping someone might explain, but I'm not holding my breath.

No no, please, hold your breath.........
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
Sarcasm, eh?
Also political sarcasm, or will you live up to the stereotype we europeans have that all Americans are blind communist haters...whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Clapacs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I know I'm late to seeing this, but man, is this funny. Well written. As a fellow Croatian (albeit 4th generation), I offer the following:

Adolf Hitler is visiting a Baltic battlefield when one of his generals approaches him...
"Mein Fuhrer, the Croatian army is approaching the southern flank!"
Hitler walks in the direction he's pointing, spots the Croat army and says "Hey, where the hell do you two guys think you're going?!?"

A true Croatian story - Some genius in Cleveland started a baseball league in which team membership is largely divided along ethnic background. But since the first year, the Croats and the Serbs aren't allowed to play each other because at their first game both teams showed up with the players all fully armed with guns and knives and the police had to be called before the game started.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if you REALLY think it's sociopathic to post opinions to a discussion forum, as opposed to just saying such offensive things to get a rise out of people, then there's something wrong with your perceptions of reality.


You're really enjoying the attention arn't you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
Prohobo wrote:
Are DaviddesJ & mateooo roommates?

Tragically close to the truth...
But the details of that star-crossed partnership are too heartbreaking to discuss here, or truly, anywhere...

Prohobo wrote:
(most Yanks don't get sarcasm - unfortunately. I think the Brits have the upper hand in sledge hammer wit - except Ambrose Bierce).

A truly offensive comment... Apparently you are as ignorant of the comical stylings of the great American Scott Thompson, or the subtle and inscrutable genius of Leo Anthony Gallagher.

It is also a shame to see such blatantly cruel and unfair generalizations being made about the noble American people, much like other unjust stereotypes like "All Americans are fat" (only most) and "Americans dont know anything about foreign politics" (I know for a fact that Silvio Berlesconi likes prostitutes, and Prince William could do sooo much better than Kate Middleton)

This is a sad day in Anglo-American relations... perhaps even worse than the day Tony Blair told George W Bush that there were WMDs in Iraq... a practical joke with catastrophic results.

I'm offended at your offence about being offended. I'm probably offended by something else too, just give me time to work out what that is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:


I'm offended at your offence about being offended. I'm probably offended by something else too, just give me time to work out what that is.

I am offended by your use of the word offence, and not just because of the way you choice to spell it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
sbauer9 wrote:
Halfinger wrote:


I'm offended at your offence about being offended. I'm probably offended by something else too, just give me time to work out what that is.

I am offended by your use of the word offence, and not just because of the way you choice to spell it.

A truly offensable offence committed by an offensive offender.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Åberg
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!!

Am I wrong when I guess that your favourite movie is Joe(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065916/)? (In sweden it is actually titled JOE! Skjut varenda jävla hippie, which is translated into Joe! Shoot every god damn (or fucking whichever you like) hippie)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kind Grind
msg tools
This review is amazing, and had me chuckling all the way through. It is, however, when one browses the replies that the chuckles leave way to laughter. Great stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am embarrassed to say that I read all of these comments from beginning to end. Still, it was worth it. I am now more intelligent.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Turfrey
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
All but one of my games has been playing as the Russians, and while I have only won twice, every loss for Russia is a win for freedom.

laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |