Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1995 GMT published Richard Berg's Glory, a simple brigade level tactical game on both of the Bull Run battles and the hollow Confederate victory at Chickamauga. Long out of print, I purchased this game as soon as I found it for a reasonable price. I based this purchase upon my positive experiences with both Glory II: Across the Rappahannock and Glory III. This review will discuss the changes wrought in Glory II: Across the Rappahannock, which modified the original game.

Gameplay (26 out of 28): Glory runs off of a chit-pull mechanic, in which unit counters are drawn which signify when a unit can move and fight. In all three battles, the Confederates are guaranteed to move at least some of their units. They can try to move multiple divisions (or brigades in the case of First Bull Run), but in these instances they must pass a die roll, modified by a general's combined activation rating. For the Union, the same is true at Chickamauga, but in both Bull Run battles they may move all their units, but only if they pass a die roll.

After moving and firing artillery, units may assault enemies units in their zone of control, so long as they can brave the enemy's fire. Then the player attacks, with a failed attack being rather brutal, but one which is successful can lead to a follow up attack. This makes for dramatic gameplay and wild turns of fate which create a good battle narrative and force the player to manage disaster.

The loss of units that take too much damage are withdrawn from the map, and must pass a test. If they fail, they are lost forever.

Hunter Pressures the Confederate Flank:

Tactical (4 out of 5): Chit pull seems to be a very good abstract mechanic for capturing battlefield chaos, because it avoids the rigidity of IGO-UGO and neatly conveys how a unit can seize the initiative without the need for more chrome. Of all the games on the Civil War, I feel this one actually captures the spirit of battle in this regard. Besides creating an effective narrative through chit pull, the rules reflect the difficulties inherit in attacking. You must pull the right chit, then survive enemy fire, then charge. All of this may seem daunting, but it forces the attacker to be more wise and use reserves. The game does have a strange way of balancing the attacker disadvantage: the defender has a harder time reorganizing his troops. I found this to be true in The Battle of Shiloh. In both cases, brigades can be repaired and keep coming into the attack, so a failed attacking column can be withdrawn; a battered defending brigade often cannot be withdrawn due thinning lines or the risk of a hole opening up.Where Glory beats The Battle of Shiloh are her sister games, is that units tend to be lost more easily in Glory. This loss of brigades simulates an army's overall loss of effectiveness, and while a bit gamey, it works well enough. I've found the battles in terms of losses do not disregard history, and even if you mostly lose bad units, you will feel the sting, as every soldier is needed in the field. So the game fails to simulate the deterioration of individual brigades, but it does simulate the deterioration of an army quite well.

Tyler's Division at First Bull Run:

Accessibility (4 out of 5): The new rules adapt very nicely to the original game's countwers, and in playing each scenario I did not run into any snags.

Components (4 out of 5): I love the maps in this game more than the later titles. The hand drawn style is very period invoking. However, I wish the units had different images. Also, only the Union leader units in Second Bull Run have commander portraits. Why not the rest?

Groveton, a Vital Crossroads in the Second Bull Scenario:

Originality (2 out of 2): The chit pull mechanic, solid battle mechanics, and abstracted but effective way to simulate losses is unique. Many will compare it to Across 5 Aprils, but this one has a much better combat system, forgoing a CRT that emphasizes numbers in favor of firepower and unit quality. The CRT, and some rigid ZOC rules, make Across 5 Aprils feel more gamey than it should be.

Historical Quality (4 out of 5): In regards to this category, Glory works surprising well, and I've already noted the effectiveness of the army losses and chit pull. I'll add that in the Bull Run battles the Union leader die rolls felt just right. For instance, Fitz John Porter has one roll he can easily pass, while another is rather difficult. This simulates the controversial role he played in the struggle, while Sigel, true to form, is almost impossible to move. If there is one hole in the history it is that attacking brigades seem to avoid crippling losses a little too easily.

The best thing I can say is that I've played the game and its sequels with three different opponents. Each found the game to create a believable narrative. I cannot say this for other tactical Civil War games.

Overall (44 out of 50): Glory is an accessible game that, while not hyper accurate, conveys command control problems and the difficulty of attacking. Just as with GCACW vs. the Civil War Campaigns series, I find my thoughts on tactical Civil War games are in the minority. I've tried the Gamers Civil War Brigade system, and I found the graphics horrendous and the rules a labyrinth. South Mountain is solid but I hate the cohesion hits, because the bookkeeping was annoying and the attacker seemed to have it too easy. Across 5 Aprils is okay, but I found the rules for ZOC and the CRT to be gamey. My favorite series so far is Glory, but it is also among the least popular of the brigade level Civil War game series. The series is underrated, and I hope this review can help in getting others to at least try it out.

Rumor has it that the next title will cover the Seven Days. I must admit that, if true, I am a little disappointed. While those battles deserve more coverage, of the seven battles currently simulated in the series, Chickamauga is the only battle outside of the eastern theater. Eveytime I play I think of Shiloh and Murfreesboro and sigh. Both would would be great for this system, and both battles were smaller than the monsters covered in Glory II: Across the Rappahannock, so each would play out rather quickly. One can only dream, and even if the next game covers the Seven Days, I will pre-order it without hesitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Sharp
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seriously Underrated
I actually just started setting up Glory 3 on my game table. I haven't played in years, and that was the original, so I'm looking forward to trying it again. I'm going to play the Cedar Creek scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I actually just started setting up Glory 3 on my game table. I haven't played in years, and that was the original, so I'm looking forward to trying it again. I'm going to play the Cedar Creek scenario.

Let us know how it goes. Cedar Creek is a good scenario too, probably the best one out of all the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read about it was a review in Fire & Movement. I got the impression from reading the article that is was not much of a game and didn't buy it. Later I found out it was that the game was much better than what the guy said. At that time Glory was out of print. However I was able to find a copy for sale and paid more that it first sold for. After playing it I believe I did get my money's worth. I really like the scale and system. It is perfect for my tastes. Bring on Shiloh and Gettysburg! Good review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewandowski
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Rumor has it that the next title will cover the Seven Days.

I understand the next game using the system is on the Crimean War. "Charge to Glory" is the tentative title.

I agree, Shiloh would be fantastic though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
Shiloh would be good. So would Pea Ridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I understand the next game using the system is on the Crimean War. "Charge to Glory" is the tentative title.

That sounds very cool. Ought to be a great way of getting some attention for that forgotten war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dazooz wrote:
gittes wrote:
Rumor has it that the next title will cover the Seven Days.

I agree, Shiloh would be fantastic though.

Gittes - thanks for the review!

Jason - thanks for sharing, Crimean War would really be an interesting topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hinrichs
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I am missing something.

I've played Antietam many times and have found that the only way to push back a line is to engage in non-historic tactics. I've stacked ART with INF adjacent to an enemy line and blasted at point blank range until the enemy is demoralized then attack with the INF. The rules lead to game tactics that don't lead a player to use tactics in line with history. This seems disappointing to me.

What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Perhaps I am missing something.

I've played Antietam many times and have found that the only way to push back a line is to engage in non-historic tactics. I've stacked ART with INF adjacent to an enemy line and blasted at point blank range until the enemy is demoralized then attack with the INF. The rules lead to game tactics that don't lead a player to use tactics in line with history. This seems disappointing to me.

What am I missing?

Antietam is the only scenario I have not yet played, in part because of all the big Civil War battles, that one interests me the least. Maybe there is something wrong with Antietam? Have you tried the other scenarios?

As to the use of artillery up close, it was not unheard of in the war, although far from common. Confederates did something like this at Shiloh and Wright had artillery brought in close at Spotsylvania. However, I think it is a high risk strategy, for if the infantry is driven off, the artillery can be captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanx for the kind words . . . and glad youre enjpying the game/system. And yes, the next edition will be CHARGE TO GLORY,covering the 4 major battles of the Crimean War. I do plan to eventually get the The 7 Days . . . and even G'burg and Shiloh.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I do plan to eventually get the The 7 Days . . . and even G'burg and Shiloh.

Excellent! Sure Gettysburg has been done a number of times before, but I think it would really be a great game at this scale using the Glory system. Same for Shiloh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Many thanx for the kind words . . . and glad youre enjpying the game/system. And yes, the next edition will be CHARGE TO GLORY,covering the 4 major battles of the Crimean War. I do plan to eventually get the The 7 Days . . . and even G'burg and Shiloh.

RHB

This is good news. I wait in anticipation for each title, and I'll just have to hope Murfreesboro makes it in there someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
You truly are one of the great gods of review writing.

Your style is easy to read and the organization of your review makes it easy to get a good feel for the game.

But please stop writing reviews. It is costing me too much as I buy a game each time I read one of your reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You truly are one of the great gods of review writing.

Your style is easy to read and the organization of your review makes it easy to get a good feel for the game.

But please stop writing reviews. It is costing me too much as I buy a game each time I read one of your reviews.

Not to make this a grand love-fest, but I consider this a great honor. You are among my favorite review writers. Whenever I check out a game page and see your reviews, I read them right away.

It is always good to be praised by someone whose work you admire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb

“Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.” (Arthur Conan Doyle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj L.
Spain
Sevilla
Andalucia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, not the first such nice I see here on the BGG from you. I have played Glory III, but did not fall in love with the system, I did with Glory I. I think battles have something to do with this. Would love to see Seven Days, Atlanta or Praire Groove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls