Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
I've recently become interested in some of the Dark Age era Viking battles such as Clontarf and Brunanburh. I was curious if BattleLore players had developed any rules or variants for the era?

Here are some possible ideas:

- Shieldwall. Units may ignore a shield hit while in shieldwall, but cannot move. Units may move at any time without penalty, but then must be ordered to reform shieldwall. They should be able to form shieldwall only in clear or hill terrain.

- Need some rules for skirmishers as massed bows didn't quite exist in this period. I will probably like the skirmish and evade rules for Commands & Colors: Ancients.

- There needs to be some warband types. Again, I'll probably lift the Warrior type from C&C:A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Medieval History fanMicrobadge: Ancient History fanMicrobadge: World at War: Eisenbach Gap fanMicrobadge: Warriors of God - The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453 fan
Hmm...well Dark Ages -I personally prefer the term Early Middle Ages- actually began centuries before the Viking Era.

Anyhow... I think much of the warfare of that era is already in the game. Are you thinking a shield wall should give benefits to units in a single hex or multiple hexes? The way in which units become bold in 3 adjacent hexes could be interpreted as a shield wall. Maybe the mod of allowing foot units in any 3 adjacent hex (not requiring 1 to be in the back) arrangement to be bold. That's already possible if you have a Goblin Band in a section. The type of unit I can see that's missing is ranged axe wielders. The Franks of the Early Middle Ages used them to great effect as both close combat and short ranged units.

Something else that's missing is boats to traverse rivers. The Saxons, Franks and Norse all used river travel and combat very effectively in that era. The problem is the current rules don't allow units to be split up and transporting 4 figs would be very unwieldy and possibly unrealistic - not 100% about latter because I'm not about what scale/numbers 4 foot figs actually represent. Possibly allowing 1 or 2 figs to move separately and quickly via a boat as reinforcements might be interesting. Depending on the army, archers were there in the Early Middle Ages, but the longbow wasn't - at least in Europe. So the Longbow probably shouldn't be allowed.

On another note, I'd love to see a game publisher like FFG create an entirely separate, C&C:A like, game based on the warfare of the early Middle Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Some necro-threading here, but I'm looking at some Viking-Saxon battles and ergo, Saxon & Viking Armies.

On the whole, I think BL is a pretty good system for this, without needing much modification beyond the Battle Savvy rules (which may have come after this thread was made).

I've purchased the Emhar Viking & Saxon sets
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=581
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=845

My thoughts so far in terms of Special rules
Saxon
1. Cannot use Wizard Loremasters
2. Archer units have 3 figures only
3. Generally there will be Blue and Green Spear and Short sword (& hand ax) units
4. Battle Ax units I haven't decided yet, and may not apply to Saxon Army anyway (being outside this period)

Viking
1. Cannot use Cleric Loremasters
2. Archer units have 3 figures only
3. Generally there will be Blue and Green Spear and Short sword (& hand ax) units
4. Battle Ax units will be Red, and possibly only 3 figures
5. Berserks use Clan Chief rules, but otherwise as Short sword units.

I'm initially looking at some battles of Alfred the Great and the Great Heathen Army.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Heathen_Army

I'd like to add leaders, probably in a similar fashion to Samurai Battles, but let's keep it simple at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
For berserkers, I was thinking of adding an appropriate figure to a unit to indicate that there were berserkers attached. I was going to treat units with berserkers similar to warrior units in C&C Ancients, which can pursue and attack a second time. In addition units with berserkers must pursue, if possible in such a way so they end the pursuit adjacent to one or more enemy units, and must attack one of the adjacent units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
With the Viking rules I'm undecided about
a) making all Vikings Bold (and ergo very Dwarvish)
b) making Berserks the same as CCA Warriors

need to do some playtesting I think.

the Berserks will all likely be the Bear shirt wearers (leftmost), but a marker is probably appropriate.
External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls