Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: As a old Call of Cthulhu RPG Keeper, I had problems with a percentile dice system. While players could easily determine if they were successful, *how* successful they were often broke the momentum of the game (especially if a player swiped up his dice before I asked!). Dice modifiers were arbitrary (do you divide or have a straight penalty?), as were automatic successes (make sure two players had a 20% to drive a car!)

Here's a quick-and-dirty way of using the Cthulhu die for a storytelling RPG, with variable degrees of success and failure. Note that the rules lean towards the characters succeeding in their skill rolls, necessary in CoC games where missing a clue often stalls the game. The Keeper is also given leeway to advance the plot.

* Cthulhu: Terrible Failure
* Tentacle: Skilled Success / Non-skilled Failure
* Yellow Sign: Dubious Success
* Elder Sign: Fantastic Success
* Eye: Move the Plot Forward

Each player starts with three Story Tokens, and selects a Profession and Hobby. A Profession is a broad collection of Skills related to the profession. A Hobby is a narrowly-defined Skill unrelated to the profession. Use common sense when defining Skills and Hobbies.

The die is used to make a skill check. If the check is for a skill that *could* be related to the character's Profession or *directly* related to the Hobby, the character has the skill. Roll the die and consult the above results table. A Tentacle result will be a success if the player has the skill, and failure if he does not. For the character, Cthulhu is the worst result, and Elder Sign is the best. The Yellow Sign's Dubious Success means that the character succeeded in the task, but may have plot complications that can affect the character. A character may spend a Story Token to improve his result by a level. The Eye result allows the Keeper to advance the plot as he wishes.

For a contested skill check, the character rolling the better result wins. For combat, one contested skill check represents a character's entire combat, and the character with the worst result loses one Story Point. NPCs typically have one or two Story Points. Note that a player character with one Story Point left can sacrifice himself in a heroic manner by spending his last Story Point! A player character with no story points goes unconscious or insane, and can be used to advance the plot as the Keeper sees fit.

For sanity checks:
* Cthulhu: The character loses a Story Token and goes temporarily or even permanently insane.
* Tentacle: The character goes temporarily insane, failing whatever action he was taking.
* Yellow Sign: The character comprehends the horror, but retains his faculties.
* Elder Sign: The character stalwartly confronts the menace.
* Eye: Move the Plot Forward.

After the adventure, the Keeper may award each player character one or two Story Points. The Keeper may also award new skills, NPC contacts, etc. which will allow a player character to have a success when obtaining a Tentacle result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
You should cross-post under Call of Cthulhu on RPGGeek. There are several other non-d% systems for Call of Cthulhu, but this is a neat and thematic version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
At last! A game to go with the cool die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laser Wolf
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Now does anyone have any good ideas for incorporating the die into Arkham Horror? I'm trying but I can't think of anything awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the spending of a plot point move the roll one level up the chart, or as many as you want?

Thanks,
Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.