Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Any game shop in Beijing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shin Yoo
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a slight chance that I may take a business trip to Beijing. After hearing this, my mind began to wander... is there a game shop in Beijing? I googled for a few minutes, only in vain. I DID find a list of MtG shops in Beijing on WotC site.

So, did anyone have any luck of running into boardgames in Beijing lately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a huge toy store in Wangfujing that you can't miss. Unfortunately, while it had a few western style games, at around western style prices, there was not much interesting, mostly kids games, while I did run past a copy of Blokus that I didn't pick up.

Picking up nice chinese chess and go sets is recommended though, if you happen to like those games. A nice mah-jong set can also be had for $15 or so, although you may want to spend $50 for a good one.

I have asked before in vain for a board game shop in Beijing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shopping
I only found one store in Beijing. I picked up a copy of Call My Bluff. It is in the huge, western style hotel and shopping area. I just can't remember the name of the place. I do know that it very close to the dirt market that happens on Sat. If you get a chance, you should go to the dirt market, pretty amazing.
Be sure to take plenty of one dollar bills.
There is a great place to get Peking duck near Mao's tomb and the night market in that area is also pretty cool.
Don't take one of the bicycle rides, the one where you ride and they drive. It's a tourist trap.
And don't agree to go see any art when you get apaproached on the street. It's a trap as well.
Hope you get to go, it is an amazing place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you care to be a bit more specific on what this store contained more than "Call my bluff"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
more
My brother an I went to China for 6 weeks two summers ago. When we were in Beijing we wandered into a very western section of the city. The hotel was very expensive and had a shopping mall under it. It was two levels and had several stores on both levels. Most of the stores were high end. One store, actually the only store of this type I found in China, had games. They had a copy of Bluff, with the title in Chinese characters (which is why I purchased it)and several wooden games. I bought two of the wooden games, both of which are simple balancing games. I payed about what I would have payed in the US for all three games. I am sorry I can't remember the name of the hotel or exactly where it is located, but I'm pretty sure there are not many places like this in Beijing, so it should be easy to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
china
if you'r off to china u r lucky. my wifes just been and can't wait to do more bussiness there. herm points were.
1/ GET OUT OF BEIJING!!!! (well spend a litle time there).
it's one of the most expesive cities you'll come across in asia and no where near as freindly as the smaller provicial places which are so cheap you could extend your stay a month.
2/ try smoe of the local foods which are mostly based around a bowl of soup with small side dishes by the sounds of it. nothing like we have in our chineese restraunts (surpize, sueprize). you've got to try the cokacola boiled in shreaded ginger, she said it's fantastick. (we could not seem to make it the same here ).
3/ the locals are very friendly anyway, but love it if you have a stab at a few phrases "thank you, please etc..." ggod luck with getting the tones right.
cailli told me a side spliting story about trying to buy tampons in lanzhou, you can imagine the sign language..
it sounds like you have plenty of great gmae stores in the us at prices about 3/4 what we have to pay. go to china for other reasons ..cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Beijing
Well, I just spent 2 months in Beijing this summer playing go (http://gongames.com/china) and if you get out of the tourist streets, it is a very friendly (and not at all expensive) city.

Guess your wife was unlucky. Some of the tourist streets are not so nice, and indeed quite expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yoo
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
Thank you for the input guys. I will look around the city as my schedule allows. That is, if I actually go there I also think that I will check out one of the MtG shops(not a Magic player, but I'm curious who are playing MtG in China).

My best bet is maybe a nice mahjong set, I guess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
go in china
minismurf;
Guess your wife was unlucky. Some of the tourist streets are not so nice, and indeed quite expensive.
maybee i did not put that well, she did not dislike beijing.
just liked the countryside more. the general vibe was not as nice as it was in the provices. and then there was the polution....soblue beijing has that.

the go link looks cool. a note for others who want to visit it try.
http://http://gongames.com/china
as the closing bracket on the above link gives a the dreaded 404 error.

btw i did not know the great wall ran through beijing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls