Subject: FLGS in Indianapolis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in Indianapolis this week on business and am planning on checking out some FLGS. I know of "The Game Preserve" and was wondering if there are any other stores worth checking out? I have checked the FLGS database and there isn't anything listed other than Boardroom Games, which apparently has closed its doors.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that there's a really big one gonna open in August...

(Sorry, had to)

Also Games To Die For (http://games2d4.com/) which it's url alone pegs the geek-meter.

Doesn't appear to be a game store, but did you see this one (http://www.arsenalgameroom.com/)? Sounds like they're very much alive from the calendar.

But yeah, most people I know from Indy talk about the Game Preserves..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can run most of them down.

Game Preserve in Greenwood (Just South of Indy). Mostly ok store, your typical collection. Kind of an "insider" feel to actually playing games there and the staff hasn't ever been very "outgoing". Most times I walk in and out without more than a "hello".

Game Preserve at the Fashion Mall (North End of Indy) - Never been there.

Games to Die For in Avon (West side of Indy) - Nice neat little store, friendly staff (from my couple of visits). Not a huge collection of games, but they stock the top 20 and a reasonable selection of others.

Gamerz in Greenwood (South Side) - Friendly, but their selection is tiny if you aren't obsessed with Warhammer. They do carry a few things I haven't seen elsewhere in Indy.

Saltire Games on Pendleton Pike (Northeast Indy) - If you are going to visit only one, this would be the one I'd recommend. These are the people that took over the BoardRoom's inventory when they closed. They have a huge selection compared to the rest in Indy and a nice looking gaming area though I've never played there. The lady working there was very friendly, helpful, and just willing to chat about games in general, but I've only been once. This would probably be my preferred store if I didn't live on the other side of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a southsider, and I've heard good things about Saltire (haven't visited yet). I'd advise to avoid Game Preserve Greenwood (good stock, but terrible service) and Gamerz (good space, but terrible stock). G2D4 is okay, but is currently half-stocked with Flames of War.

Game Preserve Castleton isn't too bad, and Arsenal is a good game hangout but not much of a retail space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day when I lived in Indy there was an LGS (I wouldn't necessarily call it F) in Broadripple - the Boardroom, I think? Whatever happened to that, is it gone?

Chris

-------------------------

Oops, nevermind, I see my question was answered upthread (the answer being yes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for info. Looks like Saltire, Game Preserve (North) and Games to Die For are on my list. Possibly Arsenal for dinner one night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Back in the day when I lived in Indy there was an LGS (I wouldn't necessarily call it F) in Broadripple - the Boardroom, I think? Whatever happened to that, is it gone?

Chris

-------------------------

Oops, nevermind, I see my question was answered upthread (the answer being yes).

Yeah, if what the lady at Saltire told me was true, the owner of Boardroom didn't want to have a play area, he just wanted to sell games, which probably led to less wargamers and magic-players and ultimately the end of the store. That's all just rumor-mill stuff though. For all I know he just got tired of running the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had any sort of problem with the Greenwood Game Preserve. Indeed, every employee I've worked with has been knowledgeable and helpful.

However, if I was only going to visit one store, I'd choose the Castleton Game Preserve, as they keep more games in stock (due to increased floor and shelf space).

- Neil Wehneman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Castleton Game Preserve the same as the one at the Fashion Mall Commons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
Is the Castleton Game Preserve that same as the one at the Fashion Mall Commons?

Yup. Or at least I presume so. There is only one on the northside of which I am aware. It is in the Fashion Mall on Keystone Ave I think. Keystone Ave is either runs through Castleton or right next to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich:

Yes, Fashion Mall Game Preserve == Castleton Game Preserve.

- Neil Wehneman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best ever FLGS was the original Game Preserve in Broad Ripple, but I guess it isn't 1980 anymore... sniff. The Fashion Mall incarnation is a decent descendant, probably has best game range in town. Greenwood GP franchise seems okay, but a little more meh.

For role-playing games and old school (chess, backgammon, etc) games, the BoardGameRoom in Broad Ripple is difficult to beat. They also carry a nice selection of board games.

GamesToDie4 on the west side does a very good job of running game nights. Their specialty is World In Flames miniatures, but they also carry an okay selection of board games. RPG section is tiny.

The Arsenal is probably the most informal gaming store in town, and it's awesome in it's own way. Not a ton of games, but a very nice play area and a cool proprietor who has a small kitchen serving up pub grub. Great meet up place to get your game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schuth
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - the Game Preserve in the Fashion Mall is no longer in the Fashion Mall but has moved across the street over by Kohl's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to say thanks to everyone for the info on the FLGS. I was able to visit Games to Die For, Game Preserve (North and South), Saltire, and The Arsenal. I picked up a copy of Forbidden Island at Game Preserve North and had a burger at the Arsenal. Plan to check out Gamerz on my next visit this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live on the south side and have to at least put a bit of a good word in for the Game Preserve in Greenwood - they've let me return things that I just didn't like, for full refund. Very awesome of them.
Also, one time there was an error in communication about me receiving a promo card, and they remedied it by giving me one of their personal copies, which I greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lawson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
We go to Game Preserve near Greenwood. They have always taken the time to help us with game selections. We are fairly new gamers so we appreciate their help. They are very knowledgeable about every game we've ever asked about. Sometimes when it is busy in there they don't really have the time to walk around asking if they can help you, but if we seek them out they always make time for us. Usually, however, they ask first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Ganaden
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There’s Family Time Games on Northwest Side, 86th St. & Michigan Road..
Also, Good Games at 111 S Meridian St, downtown Indianapolis. Both these are in operation as of July 15, 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls