John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be passing through Madison, WI next week and I'd like to check out some of the better stores (maybe one or two). Anyone have recommendations of where I should stop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.pegasusgames.com/
Pegasus Games-- CCGs, Euros

http://www.lastsquare.com/
The Last Square -- Wargames, Historical miniatures, some Euros and family games

My two favorite stores in town, and both are located a couple blocks from each other. A bit out of the way if you are passing through on the interstate or via the airport thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're heading over to the Cave of the Mounds to the west.

http://www.caveofthemounds.com/

I will have scored some "points" with the wife to justify the side trip....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems. - HS
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with Patrick - Pegasus games is worth a stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The other two stores in town are Misty Mountain Games on the east side of town on Cottage Grove (http://www.mistymountaingames.com/madison/)

and

Netherworld Games on Mifflin St. close to the capital (http://netherwrldgames.livejournal.com/profile).

In the end, I second the recommendation for Peagasus and The Last Square. They're right down the street from one another. They are both pretty good and are both close to the highway on your way to the Cave of the Mounds.

Have fun!

-Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a chance, I'd stop in at Netherworld:

http://yomimono.org/netherworldgames/
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=...

They're a bit more out of the way from the beltline, but I feel like they have a better selection than Pegasus or Misty Mountain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you won't care but seriously zero discounting at Pegasus Games. The Last Square offers a 10% discount on any all unpainted minis. They extended this for my Space Hulk purchase.

Both stores are as friendly as can be but not good if you're a bargain shopper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Maybe you won't care but seriously zero discounting at Pegasus Games. The Last Square offers a 10% discount on any all unpainted minis. They extended this for my Space Hulk purchase.

Both stores are as friendly as can be but not good if you're a bargain shopper.

Not entirely true. Pegasus has a rewards card. Every dollar you spend is a point on your card. After you hit a points threshold, you get a discount on your next purchase. I went in the other day and picked up a new D&D module. Took it to the counter, handed them my card, and I ended up taking the module home for free.

(Edit: But, yes, no immediate discount.)

The Pegasus/Last Square combo is where you want to go. Pegasus is more of a "traditional" game store. A little bit of everything - but its no Games Plus (if you've ever been to that store near Chicago). They have the best BGG-esque board game selection in town. And a decent RPG selection.

Last Square specializes in minis gaming, and they have a terrific selection (but the number of miniatures lines appears to have lessened lately - likely due to the economy). They are the go-to place for historical minis gaming, and they have the whole GW line (well, 40K and WFB). And as the above poster stated, they offer a quick discount on minis (although I thought that was only for GW minis to draw biz away from Pegasus - not sure though). They also have a good selection of hobby modeling supplies, and it seems like the scope of their board game selection has grown in the past year or so. Oh, they also have the best selection of historical boardgames/wargames in town.

And they are within a mile of one another on the same street. And they are easy to get to from the Beltline.

I have never been to Netherworld, so will not comment.

Misty Mountain is within walking distance from my home, but that place drives this ex-game retailer nuts. I always prefer to drive across town to Pegasus and Last Square. Misty Mountain is where you want to go if you want to talk about Magic with the guy behind the counter, because that's all he wants to talk about. They have a crappy games selection (except for Magic and a few other CCGS, as well as good 40K and WFB stock) and a huge playing space. They exist to play CCGs, and I believe official M:tG tourneys (like, regional events are such) are played there. It's a fanboy store, not a game store.

So...
Pegasus for BGG'ers and RPG'ers
Last Square for minis gamers and Grognards
Misty Mountain for CCG'ers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No joke? I must have been in there a hundred times asking what discounts were available and basically ignored. The odd thing was when I brought in a pile of invoices showing what I spent a year on average and saying "any discount beyond tax and I'll buy exclusively here". Oh well I suppose I haven't stopped there in about two years except for one of the big sales before they did inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds about right with The Last Square. But seriously, they always have a really great selection of current and relevant boardgames there too. It's only maybe 50 games but every time I pop in I think about buying several. Where I already own several hundred games, I think that says alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm - the cards may be newer than 2 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Friendly staff at Pegasus, too.

The points card has been around for several years. I never remember to take my card when I buy things there.

They have a small sale section in the right hand aisle. Some sale items are to your left, bottom shelf, some clearance items at bigger discounts are at the far end of the store.

As noted you won't get great deals on price but if it's your birthday or your GPA is 4.0 you'll get 20% off. 10% if your GPA is better than 3.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Netherworld has a somewhat more varied selection than pegasus, boardgame-wise. The latter primarily sells FFG products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're in Madison on a Saturday, Pegasus has a large gaming area and board gaming from 3:00 on that's worth visiting. There's always a group of very friendly, good competition, and a little excentric folks from Epic that usually have the latest games and 2-4 groups end up playing games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls