Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look at that overtext!
badge
That's SOME overtext alright...
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be visiting Austria in August with my wife and four-year-old son. We will be visiting relatives who live in Carinthia and Vorarlberg. We will also be travelling around by car to see the sites.

Are there any must-see game stores in Austria? We will likely cover a lot of ground in our travels, so your suggestions could be anywhere.

I also noticed on an Austrian tourism website that there are a few toy museums (Salzburg, Vienna, Tin Soldier museum in Pottenbrun, etc.). Does anyone know if any of them have interesting game exhibits? Or if any of them would be especially interesting to a four-year-old boy, e.g. interactive exhibits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://geekdo.com/thread/120302/flgs-of-the-world-a-list-of-... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Grundner
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric!

Many stores in Austria have a good selection of games. You might want to try mueller-drogerie.at for instance.

If you come to Vienna there are about 4 great gaming stores you´d have to visit (Spielerei, Damage Unlimited, Planet Harry, Spiele Vavra). These stores have a very knowledgable staff that can explain rules and also carry english language games.

You can look for them in this forum or via google.

Outside of Vienna is the Spiele Museum, a huge collection of games that you can tour and the attached Spiele Cafe where a few hundred games (including lots of games and toys for your youngling) are available to try.

Closer to carinthia there is a very nice game-themed hotel (www.dorfgasthof.at) that you might want to check out.

Have fun and bring rain coats : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mikula
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look at that overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL: Thanks for pointing out your REALLY thorough thread. That is a great resource.

Christian: Thanks for all of that great information. Gaming hotel?!? I am all over that! Now I just need to convince my wife that we need to stay there for our whole trip.

The Spiele Museum sounds great. I will definitely try to check that out.

Er... why do you suggest we bring rain-coats? Is it particularly rainy this year, or have we decided to visit during a particularly rainy time of year? I have been to Austria a handful of times, mostly when I was a kid, but the rain doesn't really stick out in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Grundner
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the hotel´s website. Every room they have is themed with a classic boardgame. Also they have a great loft and a nice collection of games.

Pls send me a msg when you get to visit the Spielemuseum - we might meet up (I´ll even bring my 4yo into the mix : )

Regarding the weather...
we had about 3 weeks of sunshine so far this entire year.

bring raincoats! :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mikula
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look at that overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds good Christian, I hope we can meet up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mikula
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look at that overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the one day we were able to go to the Spielemuseum, they were closed. And on our visit to the Speilerei game store was a disappointment because it was closed too!

Does anyone know of any good game stores in Innsbruck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Grundner
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad.
Spielerei seems to be closed for good, sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Innsbruck we only have a store called Heiss (Museumstraße 6) and a store called Hesi in the shopping mall Sillpark (at the eastern end of the Museumstraße). Additionally you can find some games in Müller (Maria-Theresien-Straße, Rathauspassage).

Neither of them I would call good (All three have about one or two shelves with gamers games) but there is no better one in Innsbruck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gimli999 wrote:
If you come to Vienna there are about 4 great gaming stores you´d have to visit (Spielerei, Damage Unlimited, Planet Harry, Spiele Vavra). These stores have a very knowledgable staff that can explain rules and also carry english language games.
I myself am coming to visit Vienna next week, and am planning on checking these places out :-) I will be staying at Hotel Alpha, right near City Hall. Are any of these shops within walking distance?

Thanks! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
gimli999 wrote:
I myself am coming to visit Vienna next week, and am planning on checking these places out :-) I will be staying at Hotel Alpha, right near City Hall. Are any of these shops within walking distance?

Thanks! :-)
About a 1km (~0.6 mi) walk to any of them, trough an urban district with many old houses.
Or two stops with U2 to Museumsquartier / Mariahilfer Strasse, then the nearest one (Damage Unlimited in that case), is just a 5 minute walk away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls