Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Minnesota Gamers, where is the best place to buy games? I know I can get them online, and Games by James (where I've been buying) seems pretty expensive.

I live in Eagan, where's a good game store? I haven't been to the Source in a couple of years, so I'm not even sure how good it might be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is way OT, but does Eagan have a big green tree on its water tower? I grew up near Eau Claire, WI, and seem to remember driving past that water tower while driving through the Twin Cities at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the one out by 35E does. But the one by my place doesn't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source
The Source Comics and Games on Snelling Ave N and Larpenteur Ave just north of St. Paul without a doubt. In fact, I travel all over the US and have yet to find a better game store. Next in line would be Phoenix games on Bryant and Lake in Minneapolis. There are a couple of other good ones (one somewhere in St Louis Park) but I don't remember the names offhand. Frankly, once you've gone to The Source, the only reason to go anywhere else is price hunting. All of these other stores are FAR FAR better than Games by James. Air Traffic in the Mall of America is worth a stop too, but don't expect much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to Burnsville Mall & MOA alot. So I know about Air Traffic. THey can be a couple of buck cheaper than GBJ, bit they have such a small collection of the good games. At leat GBJ HAS alot of the good games I read about here .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I must be tired. I mangled the typing in that last post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamers
Dreamers is the name of the store in St. Louis Park. There is also Phantasy Games and Hobbies in Shakopee.

If you're looking for a board game group, we have a group that gets together at Dreamer's every Tuesday night from 5:30 until 10 or so. Most people so up around 6 - 6:30.

It's a fun, low-key group. We average about 6 to 8 people. We're always looking for more people to join us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to, but my wife works evenings and I have 2 kids to watch. We actually get together at my house with 3-6 people most Thursday nights and play various games for a couple of hours. If you would be interested in that let ME know .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep that in mind...
I will put you on my buddy list for future reference. Right now, I'm doing well to game once a week on Tuesdays and the occasional Saturday ( I have a wife and two kids, as well).

BTW - That's another alternative for you. Members of our Dreamers group also meet the first Saturday of the month at Phantasy Hobbies in Shakopee. They generally start at noon and play into the night.

Hope to cross paths with you sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix Games
Phoenix Games has a terrific selection of games of all types. I've stopped in there on two business trips to Minneapolis, the most recent one just five days ago. Unfortunately, they have enough wall space that I suspect they rarely discount any of their games. I saw some real antiques at full price. However, I did manage to get the "Ticket To Ride: Mystery Train Expansion" for free because the clerk had no idea how much it was. (Since Days of Wonder is giving it away for free with any order on their web site, I suspect it was actually free to begin with...) Here's a page on game stores in the Twin Cities that I stumbled on when I was looking for information on Phoenix Games and The Source:

http://home.mn.rr.com/meadowbrookhome/z/twin_city_gamer.htm

I'll definitely have to check out The Source on my next trip—which is a mere six days away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jeneki
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find something you like at The Source, I would definitely do some price matching before buying. While I do love their store and spend a noticeable amount of my income there, they do tend to boost the price up if they feel an item is 'rare' or whatever. On the bright side, they don't hesitate to hevily discount an item if they're trying to get rid of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above.
All stores mentioned are good options.

nothing new to add here as it's all been covered.

I was going to tell you about Dreamers...Phoenix...The Source...Ah well...

I can add a store at the Mall of America though: Go. It's on the first floor...on the West Side.

All of them are about equal in price for most things though. The Source has a good collection and their game guy makes some good choices. That's not a shot at any other store as I love having them all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Go improved it's selection? Last time I was in there the selection was small, and not very "Gamer" orientated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GBJ Exception
All Games by James are not equal. I discovered (quite by accident) that the one in Rosedale is run by someone who has a different eye for German games. A person could swing by and find PowerGrid, which was a little harder to track down elsewhere.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, I have to back Brian's play: the Source (as you know all too well by now) is THE place. But don't skip Phoenix Games--I've found some very reasonably priced used titles there. Good titles. You just have to hunt a bit.

Cheers,

Bri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbj
You are indeed right about the GBJ in Rosedale. I work there about 10 hrs/wk (mostly for the discount) and the manager there is a gamer. One wierd thing about GBJ, is that it was bought out several years ago and split into two companies with the same name - GBJ at the MOA, southdale, and ridgedale are not affiliated with the others. We (the guys at rosedale) are busily trying to get the owner to support more gamer's games and order less crap. (Luckily I know that she doesn't read the geek.) Hopefully we can stop carrying everything that target has at half the price and start carrying more goodies.

(btw, an employee (who I will not "out" here without his permission) of FFG in Roseville is also a part-timer at the rosedale gbj.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know
Erik,

Thanks for clarifying. I heard something roughly similar the last time I was in your store--specifically the part about the different organizations beween stores. I was surprised, frankly, how different the Rosedale GBJ stock was.

Cheers,

Bri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls