GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,197 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Origins 2010 Board Room: Free Food Tally rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Faris
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to give MAJOR props to Jay & Rio Grande for the free food in the Board Room this year. What a surprise! I thank you for your generosity.

I could only go to a streak of 3 burgers in a row. After a while, the burgers were taking a toll on me. gulp

What was your total burger tally? Chicken tenders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there a vegetarian option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw them frying up veggie burgers on the grill one evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Was there a vegetarian option?

Yeah, I had a nice big fresh salad and a fruit salad for desert, plus a couple of free gatorades and bottled waters. The free food was pretty incredible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW. From what I've heard it seems like this was the year to go. I was THIIIIIS close to going but I would have had to go alone, and I couldn't justify getting the hotel by myself. I wouldn't have been able to afford the games I wanted to buy!

Speaking of, any shocks in the giveaways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
WOW. From what I've heard it seems like this was the year to go. I was THIIIIIS close to going but I would have had to go alone, and I couldn't justify getting the hotel by myself. I wouldn't have been able to afford the games I wanted to buy!

Speaking of, any shocks in the giveaways?

They gave away a remarkable number of Wallensteins. Assuming the reprint hasn't been completed yet, I didn't realize there still were that many shrink-wrapped Wallensteins, but apparently there were.

The rest of the giveaways were games like Merchants of Amsterdam, Phoenicia, Castle for All Seasons, Hare & Tortoise, Alea Iacta Est, Darjeeling, and a couple of small Zoch games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up with Dominion: Seaside, which I had just received online a week earlier.

Board Room was great as usual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Damato
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I actually passed on the food most of the time but I still thought it was a very generous perk. You didn't even have to leave the room.

I always look forward to getting something from one of the amazing restaurants at the North Market and getting a gourmet peanut butter sandwich at Krema Nut company. The line was pretty long and I took the time for meals to get up and take a walk and clear my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see any veggie burgers but I did get some fries, drinks, and a pretzel. I made some quick runs to Whole Foods and came with a bunch of fresh fruit to munch on.

Mad props though to Rio Grande for the food!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generous, but they had nearly no salads and stopped serving pretzels after day 1. I also had terrible stomach problems Thursday night after eating the free food. I passed on it the rest of the days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Thought
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Chrono Trigger represents potential. Results require action.
badge
It is not a certainity, but I have come to believe it possible that some entity wished for us to witness these events. Perhaps it wanted us to see all of these various ages.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had time to go down and grab some Chinese from the food court on TH & went out to dinner ST, but other than that subsisted on the free stuff.
I rarely go over to the north market because snagging something in the convention center gets me back to gaming sub(standing around looking for a game) more quickly, so with price and convenience that couldn't be beat, I took full advantage of RGG's generosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DT76 wrote:
I had time to go down and grab some Chinese from the food court on TH & went out to dinner ST, but other than that subsisted on the free stuff.
I rarely go over to the north market because snagging something in the convention center gets me back to gaming sub(standing around looking for a game) more quickly, so with price and convenience that couldn't be beat, I took full advantage of RGG's generosity.
We didn't time any of our meals very well, missed all the free food, and barely remembered to come up for air for anything except breakfast. Too much gaming to do, too little time. If I hadn't packed PB&J's every day we might have starved for lack of meal planning What can I say, it was our first Origins.

Unintended diet aside, we were very happy with the thai peanut noodles in the food court. A very nice vegetarian option, and one of their generous bowls plus an appetizer served the two of us very nicely.

The subway was also a good vegetarian option. I got all kinds of great tips for vegetarian restaurants in Columbus and the North Market before we came down, but again, we just never seemed to have enough time between games to want to go forage. Maybe next year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had 3 meals composed of burgers, though I did grab some of the cold items (Chicken salad and others).

Major props to Rio Grande. Thanks for allowing me to get my game on uninterrupted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo McCardel
United States
Ridgefield
WA
flag msg tools
You are mighty small, little Banjo, and your flippers are tired. But one day, you will become...
badge
BANJO...KING of the Seamonkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...I didn't realize it was free food back there. I heard a few people talking about it, but I thought it was a perk just for card-carrying CABS members or something.

Guess I missed out -- but I'll know for next year.

Still, I feel that I got more than my money's worth. Thanks, Rio Grande, for the games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.