Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the July 2010 European Maths Trade.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/56312/european-maths-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Queen Games Lancaster Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games "Urbanization" Contest participantMicrobadge: Ares Games "Age of Conan" Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games Kingdom Builder Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
Chris,

The list is coming up as a Geeklist on the front page, not a Trade List. Can that be changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Milford Haven
Pembrokeshire
flag msg tools
Rai # 5 by Valiant Comics
badge
Jim Shooter is a comics legend!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a wishlist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/56317/european-maths-t...

Thanks again, Chris!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I suggest for those that are listing items and only prepared to pay a percentage of postage that they provide an estimate of the total postage cost that the receiver is likely to be asked to pay ?

e.g. 2kg from Belgium to the UK costs 26 euros, whereas it only costs 12 pounds to send the same weight from the UK to Belgium. A UK trader could be excused not realising this difference in advance and assuming the cost would be minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

There's a (very) small error in the opening text:

Quote:
The March 2010 list will appear soon. I'll update this text when it becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
Chris,

The list is coming up as a Geeklist on the front page, not a Trade List. Can that be changed?
Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spellen wrote:
Hi Chris,

There's a (very) small error in the opening text:

Quote:
The March 2010 list will appear soon. I'll update this text when it becomes available.
Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please can everyone make sure they list the language of their games, as well as the language dependency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must make an observation about trades I have received this year. Unless I have been unlucky, the quality of packaging for games sent to me has been pretty poor. I always make a point to bubble wrap, then place in a rigid cardboard box, buffer any other voids with more bubble wrap and then shroud the box with parcel tape. In return a high percentage of games sent to me (not all but significantly more than 50%) are no more than thin bubble wrap with one layer of brown paper, a jiffy bag stretched taut with tape bridging the gaps or an old box with nothing to buffer the game inside.

Suffice to say in each instance the game has been crushed or damaged in some way and the damage was consistant with marks or impact on the postage wrapper. This damage would have been avoided if proper care had been taken to package the game conscientiously.

Recent comments have focused on the 'who pays what for postage' debate, but it appears that in order to save a few cents on stamps, major corners are being cut on parcel protection to keep package weight down. Either that or the sender is just plain lazy or too ignorant to care about the game condition after they post it.

Not wanting to bog down descriptions any more but some sort of pledge to bubble wrap and box a game (or similar appropriate standard) to achieve a properly protected parcel would be a step in the right direction to avoid the beaten up games and 'it was free postage, what do you expect' attitudes, I have experienced this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Aquarium ownerMicrobadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Lanarkshire Gamers, Scotland
Yes - not on BGG, but on eBay, I got one game wrapped only in a single sheet of brown paper. The contents were intact, despite the box being crushed and the paper split open!

The sender was outraged that I gave him negative feedback, despite his having cut my postage for buying 2 games, and offering to refund even more. He didn't like the idea my feedback was more a warning to future customers...

I've had similar feedback myself, despite bubblewrap & packing the box internally with more bubblewrap (but no external box!), but I learned from it - pack your games in a box! If the postman decides to sit on it, it won't help much, but you'll have done your best...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Queen Games Lancaster Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games "Urbanization" Contest participantMicrobadge: Ares Games "Age of Conan" Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games Kingdom Builder Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
Nick,
I think you have been unlucky. I've received, maybe, 20 games this year and every one has been well to extremely well packed. All have been boxed, all protected internally and all well secured.Some guys have even used First Class Post when I have said cheapest method possible is alright with me! Well done to all you guys - you know who you are.

However, that does not mean that I do not agree with your suggestions. I believe that a box with full necessary internal protection should be an absolute requirement. Only for the card games or folio/zip-lock games should bubble wrap and/or protected envelopes be used. If senders will not provide the minimum packaging then they fully deserve to be hit in feedback.

My request would be for everyone to pack the game to the degree which you would expect to see when receiving a similar game. None of this should be about saving a few bucks. If the packaging is inadequate you are insulting the receiver and the game itself, which could be ruined beyond recovery.

Maybe Nick you can let us know what happens this time around (if you get any trades)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wish lists are reaching the status of uber rare/ unobtainable these days so I don't hold my breath. But should a potential trade crop up, I do intend to quiz traders to get them to declare what their intended package method would be. I will also declare how I intend to wrap a parcel in the game description after the 'Free Postage bit'.

Perhaps I am unlucky but I have had parcels fail to arrive (In Turkey!!)and had to send off a second package of games in compensation (total postage bill>£65). For that reason I always post off first class signed for. Because that is so damn expensive I now rarely trade games that weigh over 1kg and never over 2kg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

the list entry descriptions will soon become Portuguese. Prepare Google translator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd post up a scenario that is occurring for me and wondered what people thought.
I traded with a guy in France (not through the Maths trade, but this situation could easily have happened here). I got the games from him fine, but my game was returned to the UK.
It appeared that the French post office tried and failed to deliver, I assume they then left a card and the guy did not collect it, so it was returned to sender.
I've geekmailed the user, who had geekmailed me asking if the game had been returned to me, asking what happened and whether the address was correct.
This was a heavy game, which though I sent it "printed papers" cost £16 postage.
So, who pays for the game to be shipped again? Or does that depend on what the guy says happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Youri Janse
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Just thought I'd post up a scenario that is occurring for me and wondered what people thought.
I traded with a guy in France (not through the Maths trade, but this situation could easily have happened here). I got the games from him fine, but my game was returned to the UK.
It appeared that the French post office tried and failed to deliver, I assume they then left a card and the guy did not collect it, so it was returned to sender.
I've geekmailed the user, who had geekmailed me asking if the game had been returned to me, asking what happened and whether the address was correct.
This was a heavy game, which though I sent it "printed papers" cost £16 postage.
So, who pays for the game to be shipped again? Or does that depend on what the guy says happened?
I've had this happen in a math trade as the receiver. The package was apparently delivered but no one was home. However, there never was a package delivered (that postal company normally leaves them with the neighbour and leaves a note, no package at the neighbour and no note whatsoever). The package was returned to the sender, and he had to mail it again. We decided to split the cost of this, and I paid him half of the shipping costs by Paypal.

While on that subject, applause for
david mackay
United Kingdom
WARWICK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for going above and beyond what is normally expected of someone to make the trade go right, he even offered to send his own copy of the game as a replacement. In the end patience and a 2nd shipping was all that was required but he went out of his way to get it all straightened out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Aquarium ownerMicrobadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Lanarkshire Gamers, Scotland
Any chance of an update on the OLWLG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leonatos wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
I've had this happen in a math trade as the receiver. The package was apparently delivered but no one was home. However, there never was a package delivered (that postal company normally leaves them with the neighbour and leaves a note, no package at the neighbour and no note whatsoever). The package was returned to the sender, and he had to mail it again. We decided to split the cost of this, and I paid him half of the shipping costs by Paypal.
Thanks for the response.
Just to complete the story, the guy has offered to pay for the postage, but I said I would pay half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of postage, do all these "Free postage in Europe" entries include sending from mainland Europe to the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider UK as Europe. I hope others think the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last EU maths trade I sent a package to Germany that I considered to be well packaged in a box but upon arriving it had been crushed causing the box to be damaged, although the contents were fine. I swiftly send some cash via PayPal to the recipient by way of compensation as he still wanted the game (7 Ages). The recipient sent me several digital photos which I used to get compensation back from Royal Mail. In the end I wasn't out of pocket but I will make sure to pack games in even stronger boxes next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is geekgold allowed (as an item and not as sweetener)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
I must make an observation about trades I have received this year. Unless I have been unlucky, the quality of packaging for games sent to me has been pretty poor. I always make a point to bubble wrap, then place in a rigid cardboard box, buffer any other voids with more bubble wrap and then shroud the box with parcel tape. In return a high percentage of games sent to me (not all but significantly more than 50%) are no more than thin bubble wrap with one layer of brown paper, a jiffy bag stretched taut with tape bridging the gaps or an old box with nothing to buffer the game inside.

Suffice to say in each instance the game has been crushed or damaged in some way and the damage was consistant with marks or impact on the postage wrapper. This damage would have been avoided if proper care had been taken to package the game conscientiously.
By the sounds of it, you simply have some extremely bad postal service in your area. I have regularly sent and received games (local as well as abroad), wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and then with a layer of brown paper. I have yet to receive any complaints about the packaging, and only once have I received an item where the wrapping paper was somewhat torn. I've never received any crushed packages or damaged goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
Microbadge: Analogue: A Hate Story fanMicrobadge: The Cat Lady fanMicrobadge: BisexualMicrobadge: Black Metal fanMicrobadge: Godflesh fan
rahdo wrote:
Speaking of postage, do all these "Free postage in Europe" entries include sending from mainland Europe to the UK?
I'm only speaking for myself, but yes, UK is definitely part of Europe

Maybe we should agree on a specific word to describe shipping policies, because the question seems to pop up often (and "Europe" and "EU" don't seem to be clear enough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Any chance of an update on the OLWLG?
Done.

Sorry about the delay. I should be able to update at least daily until the end of the trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and then with a layer of brown paper.

NOT from you but once I received a game packed this way.

The box inside was thrash...

If it was 4-5 layers of bubble wrap, it might have survived. Or in a proper box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |