Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In town for a bit over a week (so will be here for next weekend). Would be interested in seeing if any decent game stores have moved in since I grew up, here.

What would be the recommendations? I'm GENERALLY a wargamer, but definitely whatever is available would be cool to check out (do play a lot of "thematic games", as well as Euros).

Staying way the hell out of the city (in the Painesville/Perry area), but anything from this NE region of the state down to the city proper may be worth a look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much going on the east side of town. This, I believe, is your best bet:

http://www.warzonematrix.com/

There's also, of you're willing to go down to Akron:

http://www.kenmore-komics.com/kenmore.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warzone Matrix
4704 Rocky River Dr
Cleveland, OH 44135

Warzone has pretty much anything you could want if you don't mind digging through a pretty unorganized store. That's part of it's charm for me.

http://www.recess.net/

Recess has stores in Southpark mall and Great Northern mall. I haven't been in a while, but Southpark used to carry more board games than the GN store.

I'd say those are your best bets. If you are looking for less common, more hard to find things, I'd go with warzone. If you want a good store that carries more recent releases, I'd go with one of the recess stores.

Hope that helps!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Underhill's Games, down in Cuyahoga Falls, is a long drive but a great store.

http://www.underhillsgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
Not much going on the east side of town. This, I believe, is your best bet:

http://www.warzonematrix.com/

There's also, of you're willing to go down to Akron:

http://www.kenmore-komics.com/kenmore.htm

That's kind of the vibe I was getting from other threads. Still - both so far! Ugggh!

(OTOH, in the recent discussions we've had contemplating a move back, we were thinking something along the lines of Cleveland Heights or something so much closer to town...that would make these locations less of an issue. Still have to drive, though, which... soblue )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the twinsburg area, and the best one I've been able to find is Underhill's in the falls. They've got a pretty big selection. I'd love to find something closer to the east side, but haven't had any luck yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Antol
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comic Heaven is nearby in Willoughby at 4847 Robinhood Dr.

They've only got a smattering of games but they're very nice people. If I remember correctly they've got a quite a few Fantasy Flight titles, some gateway type Euros (Settlers & Carcassonne) and some Games Workshop gear, plus a few CCG's on hand.

Near The Warzone/Matrix is Gamer's Haven at 6639 Pearl Road.

The Warzone is great, just bring a flashlight and be prepared to dig around.

Gamer's Haven is well stocked, but a tad pricey and not too friendly.

Underhill Games is just terrific and well worth the drive.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could stop by my house and buy up some of my wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
mbmbmbmbmb
asprineye wrote:
Comic Heaven is nearby in Willoughby at 4847 Robinhood Dr.

They've only got a smattering of games but they're very nice people. If I remember correctly they've got a quite a few Fantasy Flight titles, some gateway type Euros (Settlers & Carcassonne) and some Games Workshop gear, plus a few CCG's on hand.

Near The Warzone/Matrix is Gamer's Haven at 6639 Pearl Road.

The Warzone is great, just bring a flashlight and be prepared to dig around.

Gamer's Haven is well stocked, but a tad pricey and not too friendly.

Underhill Games is just terrific and well worth the drive.

Hope this helps.

I have to say that my opinions on Warzone and Gamer's Haven are kind of flipped. I find the neighborhood that Warzone is in a real deterrent to going there. But that's probably due to the fact that I missed the place on my first pass, and when I went to turn around, someone asked me if I was selling drugs.

It definitely has a warehouse feel, and as far as I can tell, nothing is really discounted. However...the stock there is pretty amazing.

Gamer's Haven, on the other hand, doesn't have that 'pack rat' kind of feel to it. The owner is perhaps a little standoffish, but in general he's a nice guy. There is a discount rack there, with a mix of Euros, RPGs and Ameritrash on it. It's not a large discount area, but still...one exists.

I vastly prefer the latter, of the two stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been to Matrix/Warzone once, but the neighborhood seemed fine to me But I've been all around Cleveland and it's suburbs, so maybe my barometer for such things is a little more desensitized? On the other hand, being a girl, working downtown, taking the buses, I would have thought my "sketchy vibe" detector was actually more sensitive.

Anyway, perceptions of the area aside, the store itself is a hoot. It feels like a treasure hunt walking in, but the staff is super helpful.

The guys at Comic Heaven are absolutely wonderful. That's the closest one to me, and although they don't have the world's widest selection of boardgames, they do have a lot of FFG, and a great annual sale in August (as I recall), and they have ordered me anything I've asked for so far, and called me when it comes in. Top-notch customer service in my book.

Underhill Games (in Cuyahoga Falls? I think?) has a marvelous selection, and they have demo copies of many games so you can try it before you buy it. The staff have been super-helpful with showing/explaining harder-to-find games so that you can make informed decisions.

In Berea there is a cute little shop called Kidforce Collectibles that carries mostly CCGs and action figures, but they also have a smattering of boardgames including a lot of mini-expansions for Settlers of Catan that I have never seen anywhere but at conventions. At least, they did when I was there last year. For a while we thought the name of the store was "PLAY", because they had a giant decal sign in their window that said "PLAY". It wasn't until we walked out with a purchase that we realized that the receipt said "Kidforce Collectibles".

Gamer's Haven comes off a little cold-shoulder if you don't go there often, but I have heard from people that have time to play there that the owner and staff are actually very nice once you get to know them. But that doesn't make it worth the trip to me, and I'd actually rather take the longer trip to get to Underhill from my side of town, just because I know I'll get better/friendlier help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polycrafty wrote:

The guys at Comic Heaven are absolutely wonderful. That's the closest one to me, and although they don't have the world's widest selection of boardgames, they do have a lot of FFG, and a great annual sale in August (as I recall), and they have ordered me anything I've asked for so far, and called me when it comes in. Top-notch customer service in my book.

This is, indeed, the closest to where we currently are. I've been there a few times in the past. Not a BAD selection, but it's really a more typical comic book shop than game shop. Usual selection of comic/super-hero related toys and such.

No real wargames, though. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Underhill's is by far the best store in the area, I'm also in Twinsburg and I go there pretty regularly. There's a monthly gaming group that meets the second Friday of the month (this friday 7/9 in fact). Check it out if you can, I'll be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kazinova wrote:
I'm also in Twinsburg...

howdy (assumed) neighbor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
+1 Underhill's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now may be a good time to open a gameshop in Cleveland......after LeBron announces his departure tomorrow the people in Cleveland will need to find other ways to burn up their fall/winter months

lord knows the Browns & Indians don't help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Painesville you have an hour to get to Underhill's. If you are free on Friday, it is worth the drive. I have a couple of friends that come down from Painesville every once and a while on BoGA nights. They come down at like 4pm and stay until it closes at 1-2am. There is nothing in the Painesville/Perry area that compares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:
From Painesville you have an hour to get to Underhill's. If you are free on Friday, it is worth the drive. I have a couple of friends that come down from Painesville every once and a while on BoGA nights. They come down at like 4pm and stay until it closes at 1-2am. There is nothing in the Painesville/Perry area that compares.
If you are talking about the store aspect, I agree. Underhill's is probably the best in the area.

From a gaming aspect, there are also many equivalent options that aren't as far a drive as Akron: http://www.meetup.com/North-Coast-Gamers/ NOTE: This is not to take anything away from the success of BOGA events. Just pointing out the obvious if proximity is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in Twinsburg here... This must be THE gamer place to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Roy
United States
Fairview Park
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
now may be a good time to open a gameshop in Cleveland......after LeBron announces his departure tomorrow the people in Cleveland will need to find other ways to burn up their fall/winter months

lord knows the Browns & Indians don't help

Damn you and your blantant truths!

We cancelled cable a few days after The Decision. Mostly we had subscribed when we got our big HDTV because we wanted to watch the Cavs and not eat so much greasy bar food.

You're right about the time being ripe for someone to open a good gaming store in Cleveland. Seems like Coventry would be a prime-type location (despite my being a west-sider), but I'll bet the rent is highish. There should be enough suburban storefront occupancies available that the right person could get a good lease for a family-friendly-type facility of this type...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Close
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We just opened up one in Rocky River.... Finding us is half the fun... It is hidden to keep only the pure of heart and the just of cause... Oh and it usually keeps the foolish away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immortalsinc wrote:
We just opened up one in Rocky River.... Finding us is half the fun... It is hidden to keep only the pure of heart and the just of cause... Oh and it usually keeps the foolish away...

Such a secret you cannot even mention your name?

Are we to guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The store is Immortals Inc., like their user name.

20950 Center Ridge Rd
Rocky River, OH 44116
(216) 712-7169

Brock, what kinds of games do you carry? From reading some reviews, I see a lot of Games Workshop and Magic, but no talk of other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hapker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
The RECESS in Southpark Mall isn't there anymore - just an update. I think it moved to Summit Mall near Fairlawn, OH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Yates
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recess opened a new store near Great Northern Mall a couple of months ago. I was in shortly before the grand opening when the shelves weren't fully stocked and there was still some construction going on. It's a nice sized location, with room in the back for playing games.

It is on Brookpark Road Extension, in the same Strip as Ollie's and Sears Outlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls