Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con 2010 is just weeks away and it just wouldn't be complete without a math trade so...

Request GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/56537/gen-con-2010-no-...

Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/56538/gen-con-2010-no-...

If you are participating in this math trade use of the OWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating your want list(s) (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll never give something away and get something you didn't hand pick! And if there's nothing you want for a given title you don't have to trade it.

Key dates and times

Open for posting games: Right now through Wednesday, July 21st, 11pm Eastern time.

Want list submission period: Wednesday, July 21sh, 11pm to Monday, July 26th at 11pm Eastern time.

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

Please note that errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you made a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no ship event. We will be meeting up on Friday, August 6th at 10am in the Serpentine Lobby, 1st Floor to exchange games and you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items.

(If you need more detail on where check out this map of the convention center...

http://www.icclos.com/Assets/userfiles/PDFs/ICCLOS_Marketing...

and if you zoom in on the upper right (where the doors are) and look below the escalators and you'll see the words "FIRST FLOOR SERPENTINE LOBBY". The tables we'll have reserved at 10 am on the Friday are pretty much right where the word LOBBY is.)

Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline.

OK - some simple rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

* This is a no ship event. All exchanges are to be made at Gen Con 2010 as above. If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but please don't let it come to that. Furthermore, if you can not make the Friday swap date (and as stated, if you can arrange all your trades outside of that then no problem) then please include info on when you'll be there with your item listing. I can try and help with proxying as well, but be aware that the resposibility of getting games to/from people is ultimately yours.

* Gift certificates and Geekgold (GG) are NOT allowed in this math trade. DVDs, RPGs, computer games and other relevant items of interest are all permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time.

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box), language and edition of your item in the description. This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete because the person giving it to you told you it was. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

* I would encourage people to try to AVOID the use of sweeteners / package deals. I tend to think people aren't going to want to trade Great Game X for Crappy Games A, B, C, D, and E and I'd rather see more trades. Ok, perhaps Crappy is a bit harsh... let's say "Tanga Game That Sold For $1.99 Last October But Is Still A Fun Game". I'm not mandating that as we're all able to decide how to create and execute trades ourselves, but tend to think it would be more reasonable to try to trade those smaller games for something roughly on par with said item.

Other useful information

OWLG Metric Used: USER-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm an hour late posting something, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, and running it without the OLWLG is twice as much work.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved - Wants Lists Needed
# MISSING 75 WANTS (14.5%) FROM 6 USER(s) (13%):
# cva3 (22)
# docjob2001 (3)
# Hendal (28)
# IrNot1337 (1)
# sshawmd (19)
# zenmazster (2)

Last update before results will be posted shortly after the close of the wants list submission period. If you know any of the people with missing wants lists please let them know. I'll do one final "geek mail".

With a bit less than 6 hours to go we're at...

Num trades = 120 of 442 items (27.1%)

and

38/40 people submitting have at least one trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved - Results
Link to the results:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to add this to the Math Trade Announcements thread so people that are subscribed to that thread receive a notification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to be involved, but I'm only there Sat/Sun. What's the reason for the Friday date instead of Saturday? This is my first GenCon, so I could easily be missing something obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
I'd love to be involved, but I'm only there Sat/Sun. What's the reason for the Friday date instead of Saturday? This is my first GenCon, so I could easily be missing something obvious.
Because Lee is 'arranging' for a swap area and indicated Saturday didn't work. As stated in the rules you are free to arrange for another time to trade with people, but I see the issue if someone that you end up trading with is there only on Thurs-Fri. I can't please everyone... already had a request for a different time on Fri or Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you list your item, just mention what days you'll be there. It makes it easier to avoid trading with people who won't be there when you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isamoor wrote:
When you list your item, just mention what days you'll be there. It makes it easier to avoid trading with people who won't be there when you are.
Good idea and I've added this to the 'rules'. I do get concerned about someone not reading the details of a game and an error occurring because of this, though. This suddenly puts the burden of one person that's not going to be there on the swap date on everyone else to read their items detailed descriptions. I know I've failed to do that before and gotten an item I was less than thrilled with... but the problem here is that it breaks a chain. Fortunately, there's a week after the results are posted to resolve any such issues and potentially rerun the trade after eliminating such an oversight.

I don't know what more to say... if you're there Sat/Sun and someone else is there Thurs/Fri (which includes the actual date of the trade) then the 'official' trade time has little to do with the success of this math trade for you. In fact, the trade time acts as a default agreement on when to meet unless other arrangements can be made and if it was Sat then now it's the currently fictitious Thurs/Fri person that would be asking for Friday to be the day.

Translation: If you're only going to be there Sat/Sun only then I do have concerns about your participation in this trade. I don't mind receiving an item or two for you, but you need to be prepared to ship anything that you can't get to other people that are able to be there during the actual swap time. And ultimately don't expect anyone to be the middleman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofor Newman
United States
Swanton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
Jeremiah,

I'm going to be there from Thursday. I'd be happy to proxy for you. I'm going to get into the Math Trade as well, so it's not a problem.

-Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runefang wrote:
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
Jeremiah,

I'm going to be there from Thursday. I'd be happy to proxy for you. I'm going to get into the Math Trade as well, so it's not a problem.

-Kris
And thanks so much for being the ideal solution to this issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Gray
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the meet up place going to be in a location where we do not need a badge? I would like to do this, but I am not actually going to go to the con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Aurora
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerebralcortex wrote:
Is the meet up place going to be in a location where we do not need a badge? I would like to do this, but I am not actually going to go to the con.
As far as I know, the vendor hall is the only place that requires you have a badge to enter. Everywhere else you can roam freely. The badge is more a requirement when buying event tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee has helped out in reserving a spot for the Fri meetup (for those that don't make other arrangements) and it will be in the Serpentine Lobby area. For those not intimately familiar with the exhibit hall here's a link to a map...

http://www.icclos.com/Assets/userfiles/PDFs/ICCLOS_Marketing...

and if you zoom in on the upper right (where the doors are) and look below the escalators you'll see "FIRST FLOOR SERPENTINE LOBBY". The tables we'll have reserved at 10 am on the Friday are pretty much right where the word LOBBY is.

This is the spot I was thinking off well before Lee offered to assist with reserving it (and I didn't understand this was also the spot he was talking about) so if you get a chance please thank him for helping out with the trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know if this is a feature that needs to be turned on for the trade, but Traders questions and comments on items are not appearing in the OWL.
In previous OWL based Math Trades, any comments appeared with the items' Step 3 listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reidzilla wrote:
I do not know if this is a feature that needs to be turned on for the trade, but Traders questions and comments on items are not appearing in the OWL.
In previous OWL based Math Trades, any comments appeared with the items' Step 3 listing.
Can you provide an example?

I know it flags items where there are comments and the last one if from someone other than the item's owner (i.e. it assumes an answer is pending), but it's not shown the full "comment thread" in the OLWLG that I recall ever seeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly what I am talking about. Someone posted a question about one of my items and I've posted a question about an item, but neither are appearing in the OWL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reidzilla wrote:
That is exactly what I am talking about. Someone posted a question about one of my items and I've posted a question about an item, but neither are appearing in the OWL.
Which item?? I need an example as I don't see one in a cursory scan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
106 and 165. Neither show any flag but both have questions and I answered mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reidzilla wrote:
adreeve wrote:
106 and 165. Neither show any flag but both have questions and I answered mine.
Good catch and you are correct. That is not currently working. For details on the problem see here...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5263597#5263597

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I give. Could someone tell me how to add an RPG item to the trade list? I see others in the list, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add one (the only option I see is Board Game when I add an item.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
Good catch and you are correct. That is not currently working. For details on the problem see here...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5263597#5263597
Thanks. I'm guessing that it will most likely be down for the duration of the Math Trade. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Ok, I give. Could someone tell me how to add an RPG item to the trade list? I see others in the list, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add one (the only option I see is Board Game when I add an item.)

Thanks!
I used the "Add/Offer games in this Math Trade" icon (the first icon under the Math Trade listing on the OLWLG home page). Then I choose to add an RPG item from a previous Math Trade. Once at the "add a Geek List item" screen, change the name of the RPG to the one you want to list.

I know this is a bit obtuse but I didn't see any other solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Reid! I've never added a game that way so it never would have dawned on me. I'm guessing the GL was not set up to include RPG items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I'm guessing the GL was not set up to include RPG items.
Creature of habit... updated to allow RPG Items and Video Games in BGG's database to be more easily added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
probably to late, but 10 am is kinda late for a meet up, I have tourneys that start at 10, even 9;45 would work, but if there is drop off and pick up I guess it is not a big issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |