Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to announce our new premium features for the subscription system. These new features are available to any users who support us at the $25 a year level (i.e., adblock), or any users who have purchased adblock via geekgold.

The first new feature is that you can now see your subscription items even after you have viewed them, both on the subscriptions page and on the Items by subscription page, by clicking the appropriate tab in the module, seen below.

The second feature is the return of personal subscription RSS feeds--an old feature returning, but internally entirely new. You can see the links to the RSS feeds circled in the image above. The main link in the header bar will give you all of your subscribed items, and the links in the modules break down the subscriptions by item type (or by feed type, on the items by subscription page).

You can see a demonstration of the first feature and a brief discussion of the second in this video:

We hope everyone enjoys the new feature. As always, let us know about bugs. Since RSS feeds have been changed significantly, there may be bugs in the regular RSS feeds as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New premium Subscription features!
Looks good guys. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I go to my current subs list, every time I click Mark Read for an image, the list folds up and I get a "Seeing Viewed Items requires $25" error.

I just want the current list to stay up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the first time an actual feature is available for subscribers
only ? (except for adblock, but I don't consider it a real "feature").

It was always said that all BGG users are equal, whether they donate to the site or not. I guess this is no longer true and I don't like this direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
If I go to my current subs list, every time I click Mark Read for an image, the list folds up and I get a "Seeing Viewed Items requires $25" error.

Dan's power just went out - but he says that bug has been repaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Yeah, this happens when you click on "Mark Read" for forum items too... it seems it automatically switches to Viewed instead of remaining at the "New" list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
raviv wrote:

It was always said that all BGG users are equal, whether they donate to the site or not. I guess this is no longer true and I don't like this direction.

Yes - everyone's opinions are equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can view New / Viewed / All subscriptions, but how do I get rid of those I have viewed but don't want to see any more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
This seems like an odd feature to make available only to supporters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:

As Aldie says, we value everyone's feedback equally. However as the site continues to grow, both in terms of number of users as well as in number of features, so do our expenses. Some of the features that are requested most often are very resource intensive - to compensate for that we are going to offer some of these as premium options available to patrons of the site.

This will reduce the strain on our equipment (as fewer users are using the premium features) and will also help support the maintenance of the site if it inspires anyone to donate who wouldn't have done so previously.

There are currently no plans that I am aware of to change anything that is currently free on the site into something that requires a donation to access. However you can expect to see more premium features like this one rolling out in the future.

All that said, this thread should be for discussing the currently announced features and any related bugs. Discussing the larger issue of premium features should be directed to the following thread: Bonus premium features for site supporters

Thanks!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
I know you can view New / Viewed / All subscriptions, but how do I get rid of those I have viewed but don't want to see any more?
Currently, you can't. Depending on the response to this feature, that is something I indend to add.

But be aware that these are not permanent bookmarks--everything, read or unread, is removed from this system after one month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More and more, BGG is transparently a business.

I realize times are tough, and I'm sure there are lots of good reasons that new functionality is going to cost money to users. I just am disappointed its going this direction. I hope this isn't a precedent for future "premium" features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

I realize times are tough, and I'm sure there are lots of good reasons that new functionality is going to cost money to users. I just am disappointed its going this direction. I hope this isn't a precedent for future "premium" features.
Personally I don't have a problem with this. The site clearly takes money to run, hardware and infrastructure isn't cheap, nor is the time and resources required to maintain it.

Like many of us, I spend a LOT of time here and am happy to make a donation for the features and information available here, and the efforts made to improve the site on a continuous basis for the benefit of all. And if I make a small contribution, why should I too get something small in return?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander R. Nordgarden Rødner
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
Proud father of Sarah Arwen and Ruth Rose
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
cornjob wrote:

Personally I don't have a problem with this. The site clearly takes money to run, hardware and infrastructure isn't cheap, nor is the time and resources required to maintain it.

Like many of us, I spend a LOT of time here and am happy to make a donation for the features and information available here, and the efforts made to improve the site on a continuous basis for the benefit of all. And if I make a small contribution, why should I too get something small in return?
Agreed.

The spirit of the site is the same as always, and for supporters to get premium features, well, I thought that was only a matter of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
cornjob wrote:

I don't have a problem with making donations to the site either. I've done so many times.

But this isn't going to really be viewed as "extra" functionality for donors after a while (especially if additional "premium" features are added as has been stated). It will be viewed as denying non-donors functionality and full access to the site. THAT is what I'm disappointed about.

I personally will continue to donate regardless of any benefit to me, beyond the opportunity to use the site itself. I'd have much rather responded to a straightforward call to raise funds, than something where I feel slightly coerced into it.

As the commercial underpinnings become more prominent, I find my emotional connection with the site to be fading. I don't begrudge the site being a financial enterprise. I just miss my old friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I personally will continue to donate regardless of any benefit to me, beyond the opportunity to use the site itself. I'd have much rather responded to a straightforward call to raise funds, than something where I feel slightly coerced into it. .

I feel the opposite way. You aren't being asked to contribute any more $. The funding model that asks you to donate and donate is one that I would resist, as it would deter me, and I dare say many others.

You are already contributing to the site, and for that you get the ad-block function not available to non-supporters (not that I turn it off, I kinda like some of the ads).

For no extra donation you also get these small extra features. I don't see that as coercion, more like encouragement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
Perth Airport
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

I disagree with this. There is very little on this site that alludes to the operation of "a business". However, it can certainly be seen as an entity, and an entity that has a continually growing demand for content, functions and accessibility.

Check out the comments that are made when the site goes offline for any amount of time... consider the vigour with which users demand availability and reliability. Consider also the rate at which new content is added to the site, and the demands that must make on the infrastructure that provides it.

I think we get an tremendous amount for free here, and I applaud that as a mission of the creators and respectfully appreciate their efforts to continue to make it so.

But I also recognise that someone somewhere is paying for what we get at no charge. To my mind, the people who make this available to us are not only quite within their rights but should be similarly applauded for their vision and their commitment to ensure the sustainability of what we all want/need.

Realistically, that has to include ideas that allow it to meet its economic considerations, and I welcome any concept at all which will help preserve the longevity of the Geek.

So, to all the nay-sayers and critics: let's hear your ideas for how to pay for what you want to get for nothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to quote myself and use large text

Quote:
Discussing the larger issue of premium features should be directed to the following thread: Bonus premium features for site supporters

Thanks!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausminstrel wrote:
cornjob wrote:

I disagree with this. There is very little on this site that alludes to the operation of "a business". However, it can certainly be seen as an entity, and an entity that has a continually growing demand for content, functions and accessibility.......

I noticed you've been registered about a year. Perhaps the context of my comments/observations aren't obvious from that perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, so good. The original functionality is still there, so no need for me to contribute to keep my current level of features and functionality. I suspect this shouldn't be a concern for others who choose not to donate either.

BTW, does the amount you donate cumulate over the "donation year"? I recall donating about $7 back around.... March of 2010? Will that go towards the $25 if I elect to donate the difference of that and $25?

raviv wrote:

Deep down, I think many of us to truly know that that's a load of crock. To say that a brand new user is as much as a donor as someone who puts in the time to review, rate, add commentary, answer rules questions, and write strategy guides is a bit off. To say that someone who only has say.... 82 thumbs is "equal" to someone receiving the Geek Of The Week award can't be right either. I don't know what goes into choosing a GotW award, but I'd imagine there's some criteria of contributions to be considered. Does that make the rest of us worthless? No. A GotW is like the valedictorian whereas the rest of us contain many bright students.

Aldie wrote:
Yes - everyone's opinions are equal.
This is a more precise way to put it. I recall in jr. high school that the phrase "All men are created equal" isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It just means that all men are created equal under the law. Nothing much else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Allow me to quote myself and use large text

Oh I tried that Matthew! The buggers just take it as a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I don't know what goes into choosing a GotW award, but I'd imagine there's some criteria of contributions to be considered.

I thought each GotW was chosen by the previous GotW with the only restriction being they had to be from a different country (to prevent people just picking friends from their gaming group).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
4026 mails unread ?

Looks like premium users can use a spamfilter

I understand that these features take up some considerable resources and that the need to make those "premium subscription features" is not so much a choice but something you have to do.

I would have preferred that besides the contributors users who earned over X would be included as well. Tips not included

I don't have an idea how much X should be but people who actively upload content to the site, write reviews and or session reports or just by geekmodding well they are premium users in my book.

I'm not sure how you could implement that but people could get access if they made enough GG in a previous month tips excluded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Reading
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the contributions cumulative? Say, to use a totally fictional example, that I have donated $15 to the site so far this year; can I go back and donate another $10 to activate premium membership?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I would have preferred that besides the contributors users who earned over X would be included as well. Tips not included

I don't have an idea how much X should be but people who actively upload content to the site, write reviews and or session reports or just by geekmodding well they are premium users in my book.

I'm not sure how you could implement that but people could get access if they made enough GG in a previous month tips excluded.
In the first post, we see:
dakarp wrote:
or any users who have purchased adblock via geekgold.
So what you wanted is there, so long as they are willing to dump the GG earned back into the bank.

Fretzy wrote:
Are the contributions cumulative? Say, to use a totally fictional example, that I have donated $15 to the site so far this year; can I go back and donate another $10 to activate premium membership?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |