Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo session using my own solo variant (Long) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Is a solo session using my Dungeoneer Solo rules. Note that several rules are different from the standard game, e.g. the way cards are drawn to and discarded from the player’s hand. It’s still a basic dungeon crawl, however, and flows similarly to the standard game.

I apologize for the poor image quality. There wasn’t quite enough light when I took the photos of the map layout.And I decided to reduce the image sizes to make them align with the text and the usual screen width.

My solo rules can be found here.

Setup
I picked Siboth randomly and started out with the following quests
Maiden in Distress (Inner Sanctum)
Infernal Negotiation (Summoning Chamber
Serak the Assassin (Global, no specific room)
And the following cards: Improved Aim, Rope and Disarm Traps

Hero Turn 1
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew a Turn map card. I can place it where I want, as all positions are the same distance from the Threshold, so I placed it where I want to go – to get some easy distance to help finding that Assassin.
Spent one Move to move into the Grim Fork, then one to play Improved Aim. No need to discard, as I’m down to two cards.
Drew the Belt of Brawn.

Dungeonlord
6 Life, 1 Glory and 4 Peril. Drew Bug-a-Bear and a Zombie, which used up my four Peril.
The Zombie attacks first (random choice). I used my special power and 1 Peril to have the Zombie attack the Bug-a-Bear. It lost gulp. The Bug-a-Bear then inflicted one wound on me (and thus one Peril). The Bug-a-Bear stays in the Grim Fork.

Hero Turn 2
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew a Junction. It has to go next to my character if possible. So it goes between the Grim Fork and the Grim Intersection.
I chose to attack the Bug-o-Bear with Magic to clear the way back. Got it gaining me 1 Glory and Fiery Blast, but I’m down to 4 Life. I spent the second Movement Point to move on to the Turn.
Discarded Fiery Blast, leaving me with 3 cards.

Dungeonlord
4 Life, 2 Glory and 3 Peril. Drew the Crouching Skeleton (2 Peril) and the Demonic Adder (discarded).
The Skeleton has 3 Melee, but I still beat him, gaining Holier Lantern and 1 Glory.

Hero Turn 3
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew the Troll Bridge. The closest place it can be played is by the Junction, fortunately. I have no wish to cross that bridge.
Spent one move playing Belt of Brawn and another move exploring. Found the Crypt.
Collected 1 Glory and 2 Peril for staying at the Turn, discarded Holier Lantern and drew Gilded Key.

Dungeonlord
4 Life, 2 Glory and 3 Peril. Drew the Cackling Hag (4 Peril, thus discarded) so no battle this time.

Hero Turn 4
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew the Grim Junction.
Went through the Crypt to the Junction. It’s too early to take on the Assassin. It would be nice to get a Speed boost first.
Discarded Disarm Traps and drew Repel.

Dungeonlord
4 Life, 6 Glory and 9 Peril. Drew Poison Needles (Trap), Greater Bloodlust (Enhancer) and Dimensional Shift.
The Trap springs first. Speed 9+ is hard to match with Speed 2, so I get 1 wound and 1 Peril. Dimensional Shift relocates the Crypt. It has to swap with another card to provide access to the space I’m on. There are two possibilities, and the Grim Junction got chosen (randomly).
The Enhancer goes to Siboth to be used later.

Hero Turn 5
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew a Corridor .
Played the Rope, moved to the Corridor and drew Minor Healing, which I used right away.

Dungeonlord
4 Life, 3 Glory and 5 Peril. Legion and Crypt Bat used up my Peril, so no need to draw more.
I used Repel to get rid of Legion, leaving a Magic attack by the Crypt Bat, which succeded I counterattacked, activating the Greater Bloodlust. I have 3 Melee vs. 2. A roll of 6 vs. 3 got rid of both cards and gained me Spell Focus in my hand.

Note: This was illegal. Siboth did not have a Move left over to take up the Challenge. I discovered the mistake too late to rectify it.

Hero Turn 6
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew Grim Intersection yuk
No rooms, so the opportunities to do quests elude me. Siboth moved back to the Grim Junction and played Spell Focus
Drew Wooden Shield and Create Darkness.

Dungeonlord
3 Life, 1 Glory and 4 Peril. Drew Death Shadow (5 Peril), so another freebie this turn.

Hero Turn 7
Level 1, Speed 2. Finally got a room: The Library.
Moved there and looked for the Assassin. Failed angry.
Discarded Wooden Shield and drew Potion of Life.

Dungeonlord
3 Life, 4 Glory and 8 Peril. Drew Winker (5 Peril) and Poltergeist (4 Peril, discarded).
Picked Melee attack randomly, giving a higher chance to Magic as this is in the Library (the rules don’t specify that, but it felt right). Thankfully, Siboth beat him, but he has 2 Life and is still lurking in the Library.

Hero Turn 8
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew Throne of Tyranny.
Tried to escape from the Winker (Speed threat 5+), but failed, so the Winker attacks. Magic combat this time, and the Winker won. Used Potion of Life to heal the wound.
Drew Minor Teleport

Dungeonlord
3 Life, 5 Glory and 8 Peril. Drew Dark Templar, Crypt Ghost and Poison Cloud using all 8 Peril.
Used Minor Teleport to warp to the Grim Intersection. The pit is not triggered, as this is out of my turn.
The Trap is discarded (Siboth warped out before it sprang), the Monsters stay in the Library.

That was a close call. Without that escape opportunity, I would probably have lost the game.

Hero Turn 9
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew the Lair of the Tentacle Beast.
Moved there and successfully evaded the Beast. Used the last Move to search for the Assassin (can’t fail due to the distance) but tied with him in battle.
Drew the Boot of Ala Hazad thumbsup

Dungeonlord
3 Life, 4 Glory and 3 Peril. Drew Fumbler (2 Peril) and Misplace (discarded)´.
Siboth keeps Fumbler as it has no effect this turn.

Hero Turn 10
Level 1, Speed 2. Drew Inner Sanctum.
Siboth spends one Move to drop the Rope and put on the Boot of Ala Hazad, and spends the other failing a combat with the Assassin.
He then draws a Backpack and collects 2 Glory and 3 Peril for staying at the Lair.

Dungeonlord
2 Life, 3 Glory and 6 Peril. Drew Undead Awakening and Budge (discarded).
Undead Awakening will follow Siboth around the dungeon.

Hero Turn 11
Level 1, Speed 3. Drew Grim Turn, which is placed to create a dead end out from the Lair.
Finally, Serak the Assassin is slain. This was the Global Quest, so Riggs Curse (Well of Healing) is drawn instead.
Siboth discards Create Darkness and draws the Axe of Weeping Wounds.

Dungeonlord
3 Life, 8 Glory and 4 Peril. Draws Dimensional Shift and Wraith (discarded, even though the cost is reduced by 1 to 4).Grim Intersection change place with Crypt.

Hero Turn 12
Level 2, Speed 4. Drew Mirror Chamber.
It’s time to rescue a Maiden. Siboth moves to the Inner Sanctum, picks up the Maiden and keeps a Move in reserve.
Discards the Axe and draws Transference.

It’s a looong way to the Entrance.

Dungeonlord
3 Life, 10 Glory and 5 Peril. Drew Forgotten (paid 2 Glory to keep the Boon) and Plane Shifted. In an insane stroke of luck, the Grim Intersection (next to the Entrance) is the only viable exchange for the Inner Sanctum at a distance of 9 map cards.

Note: This is if you count distance using only cards already played. If you count distance across empty spaces, then it would have changed place with the Throne of Tyranny, which would have been bad news.

Hero Turn 13
Level 2, Speed 3. Drew Well of Healing.
Played the Backpack and the Gilded Key, moved to the Entrance and delivered the Damsel.
Drew Blessings of Nakari and Bonus Mercenary.

Dungeonlord
4 Life, 8 Glory and 1 Peril. Drew and discarded the Lich Lord.

Hero Turn 14
Level 3, Speed 5. Drew Summoning Chamber.
The choice now stands between this and the Well of Healing at the same distance from the Entrance. Siboth decides for the Well, plays Blessings of Nakarah (that’s 3 Moves in total) and completes the quest by discarding Spell Focus. Now he just needs to get out of the Tomb to win. Sooo close.
He draws Ring of Luck.

Dungeonlord
5 Life, 4 Glory and 7 Peril. Draws Plane Shifted, Bedfaggen , Greater Arcane Energy and Unholy Anger (discarded). The Well changes place with the Grim Intersection. None of the Bane Enhancers Siboth carries affect the battle, so the Bedfaggen attacks with 2 Melee against 5. The battle is a tie.
It has suddenly become a long trek home again.

He discards Transference and draws Ring of Arcana.

Hero Turn 15
Level 4, Speed 6. Drew Barracks.
Siboth attacks the Bedfaggen (Magic combat, 5 vs. 0) and wins, drawing Gem of Loyalty. He then moves to the Barracks in the hope of finding a passage to the Entrance from there. He plays Bonus Mercenary and attaches Gem of Loyalty which leaves him with 1 Movement.
Draws Teleport Staff

Dungeonlord
5 Life, 5 Glory and 8 Peril. Draws Acid Bath.
Reshuffles Peril deck and draws Poison Needles and Legion (discarded). Siboth evades both traps.

Hero Turn 16
Level 4, Speed 6.
The final map card is Outer Sanctum. It creates the passage back to the Entrance Siboth had hoped for. He moves to the Grim Fork (3 Moves) and searches twice, leaving 1 Move for a Challenge.

The searches gave Mighty Strike II and Brain of Zum. Siboth plays Mighty Strike immediately and discards Ring of Arcana.

Note: This was another illegal action. You must discard a card searched for if it costs more than the Peril of the space where you search. The card was never used, however, so it didn’t make much difference.

Dungeonlord
5 Life, 5 Glory and 11 Peril. Draws Dimensional Shift, Death Shadow, Bedfaggen, Poltergeist and Crypt Bat, using up all 11 Peril (Undead cost 1 less because of the Undead Awakening Bane).
The Dimensional Shift exchanges the Tomb Threshold (chosen randomly) with the Well of Healing or the Throne of Tyranny. The latter was chosen randomly. So Siboth now has to go through the Library and it’s pack of Monsters. Ouch.
Siboth uses his ability to have the Poltergeist attack the Crypt Bat. It wins. The Death Shadow and Bedfaggen loses their attacks (gaining Siboth the Dark Kitty and Repel Undead). The Challenge goes unused as the Poltergeist didn’t actually attack Siboth, so it stays in the Grim Fork. Greater Arcane Energy wasn’t used, so it isn’t discarded.

Hero Turn 17
Level 4, Speed 6.
Siboth escapes the Poltergeist automatically (Speed Threat 5+ with Speed 6) and moves to Grim Junction, next to the Library. The Spikes on the way are not a problem with his Speed. He searches twice (Iron Breastplate, Create Darkness) and discards the Gilded Key to play the Teleport Staff.
He then discards down to Repel Undead, Brain of Zum and Ring of Luck

Dungeonlord
5 Life, 5 Glory and 9 Peril. Draws Bug-a-Bear, Crouching Skeleton, Demonic Adder and Plane Shifted plus Greater Bloodlust (discarded).

The Summoning Chamber and Grim Junction change place, yet again putting a large distance between Siboth and his goal.

The monsters attack and all die horribly, giving Siboth access to Transference, the Axe and Spell focus. Greater Arcane Energy is finally discarded.

Note: Somewhere along the line the Glory deck was reshuffled. I failed to note when it happened.

Hero Turn 18
Level 4, Speed 6.
Siboth uses Transference to switch place with the Dark Templar in the Library, then escapes to the Tomb Threshold (Speed Threat 6+ cannot fail with a Speed of 6) (the Teleport Staff would have done the same job) and leaves the Tomb.

Victory!

Conclusion
It wasn’t all that difficult to win, though there was one tough spot in the Library in Hero Turn 8. There is a lot of randomness in this game. Skipping the big bad monsters like the Lich Lord makes a difference. I don’t always win using these rules.
It was a good dungeon crawl.

I’m strongly considering using the optional movement rules (Basically: Move 3 at all Levels, regardless of Speed). 6 Movement is too much. I deliberately never moved more than 3 spaces in one turn.

Also, I’m considering adding +2 to an escape attempt if you entered the room you want to escape from in the same turn (See 3.6 in my solo rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
United States
Fort Knox
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I need to try your rules. Great session report, too.

BTW, where did you get that great player aid?

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
I think I need to try your rules. Great session report, too.

BTW, where did you get that great player aid?

Michael

I made it myself, naturally

To be fair, I pilfered the background and got a good deal of inspiration from this player mat.

I'll upload it. It might take a while to get through, though - I have 3 pending file submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics looked fine to me.

Nice writeup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Player Mat is now uploaded here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.