Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are coming to Denver over Labor Day... I always love to hit up the local gaming scene when I travel! Any must see shops? I also enjoy general weirdness and unique/nerdy shops. I'm also a big MTG player and am always on the hunt for good CCG singles prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah Black and Read it is for you then. Make sure you go when the guy who wears chainmail is working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to go here when I'm up in Denver:

Attactix
15107 E Hampden Ave
Aurora, CO 80014
(303) 699-3349
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maus wrote:
I always try to go here when I'm up in Denver:

Attactix
15107 E Hampden Ave
Aurora, CO 80014
(303) 699-3349

It'd be interesting to know what they do to stay in business, because they've been there forever.
I remember the Hampden Avenue address from 1995, when I visited Denver and stopped by the store.
I'm sure they've been there at least 20 years, maybe considerably more. I think they were there in 1987, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Strictly a wargaming store though, unless they've changed, so I don't know if a Eurogamer would find it too interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
I also enjoy general weirdness and unique/nerdy shops.

Black and Read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:
Edit: Strictly a wargaming store though, unless they've changed, so I don't know if a Eurogamer would find it too interesting.

I was there in February 2009. They had quite a few Eurogames in stock as well as wargames and miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attactix is a great store, and they carry pretty much everything game wise. Been going to them for years.

Up in the Thornton area you can find Total Escape Games, a very nice new shop with a lot of gaming space and a decent selection.

Right next to them is the warehouse for TimeWellSpentgames.com. Not really someplace you can browse though, but if you want to pick up games in person at online prices its an option. The owner is a great guy who does a lot for gaming in the area.

On the off chance you're feeling bored on a Saturday or Tuesday, there's almost certainly something going on with the Denver Games group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too love to check out gaming stores while traveling. It's been almost two years since I took a trip up to Estes Park. But, back then I didn't find any in Estes Park.

But, we had stopped in a small town on the way (Lyons) and were going through some antique and art stores when I ran into a small gaming store. I was quite surprised. A small selection, but I seem to remember a bunch of MTG. Weird thing was they had a gaming room that was almost the size of their product (not that either were very big).

Probably not there any more, but it was on the main drag in a building that had been converted into a cafe' and a few shops.

*Edit*

Oh, not saying it's good. Just part of an adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Da Debil wrote:

Re: attactix
Two rows of eurogames when I went there the other day. There's a consignment magazine rack with some games in it from time-to-time. Game nights on Mondays from 6:30-10.

10% off purchases of $100 or more. What I like about them, is they seem to beat timewellspent.com to the punch on getting games first, but I care more about getting games cheap, so I don't often buy the high-end games at attactix.

They also have a tendency to have some off-the-wall games there. I got redneck life and trailer park wars there.

Saturday afternoons, I think they have a big ASL hoe-down. They have basically two rooms the size of the main merchandise area dedicated to either playing games or painting miniatures.
----------------------------------
Bonnie Brae Hobbies. They have a consignment section, a few shrinkwrapped games that I have to ask, "how is this still on the shelf?" I would have thought someone would have bought that uberplay edition of hollywood blockbuster by now, or not. The in-shrink win-lose-or draw from 1988 isn't a mystery, though.
-----------------------------------
Enchanted grounds. This one is way out of the way relative to estes park, it's down in highland's ranch, which is more south denver, but it's worth taking a visit. They're big into coffee and magic the gathering, but they do stock a few boardgames. Nothing incredibly rare that I've ever seen, and their prices are standard retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shatner wrote:
Ah Black and Read it is for you then. Make sure you go when the guy who wears chainmail is working.

My wife went to Black and Read the other day while she was waiting for an appointment. I've never gotten this call before:

"OHMYGOD!! WE HAVE TO COME BACK TO THIS GAME STORE WHEN WE HAVE 3-4 HOURS!"

She said it was boxes upon boxes upon boxes of games. They said they were running low on stock because you could see the counter, according to the clerk.

Purchased: A bunch of William Gibson books, nora roberts books, and a used copy of mastermind.

Still haven't made it to that quadrant of town for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
StormKnight wrote:

Right next to them is the warehouse for TimeWellSpentgames.com. Not really someplace you can browse though, but if you want to pick up games in person at online prices its an option. The owner is a great guy who does a lot for gaming in the area.

On the off chance you're feeling bored on a Saturday or Tuesday, there's almost certainly something going on with the Denver Games group.

I think there's even a Monday night game still at whittier community center?

Careful when doing the timewellspent.com warehouse pickup. It's NOT easy to find. I hope they invested in a little more signage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no signs...it is supposed to be an online store after all

Wow, Bonnie Brae is still around. I also remember finding cool strange stuff there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fun links! Looks like Black and Read and Bonnie Brea Hobbies is exactly the kind of fun shopping we love. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep um coming! We're arriving over Labor Day Weekend, so if there are any must see events let me know!

Also, my wife is a foodie... what are the best places to get a meal that aren't nationwide chains? I don't care if it's a dive bar with fantastic burgers or a suit and tie 5 course meal... we love tasty nibbles! How about local wine tasting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stagger lee wrote:
Thanks for the fun links! Looks like Black and Read and Bonnie Brea Hobbies is exactly the kind of fun shopping we love. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep um coming! We're arriving over Labor Day Weekend, so if there are any must see events let me know!

Also, my wife is a foodie... what are the best places to get a meal that aren't nationwide chains? I don't care if it's a dive bar with fantastic burgers or a suit and tie 5 course meal... we love tasty nibbles! How about local wine tasting?

In my opinion Beau Jo's pizza is a 'unique Denver thing'. They're very fulfilling pizzas from a wood-fired grill.

Chedd's grilled cheese is really flavorful and unique. I think the wisconsin cheese soup there is really good, although they do have a chedd's in sioux falls, sd, so it might not be all that 'nifty'.*

allegedly 'the rib house' in boulder has the best ribs ever. I haven't gotten around to trying it out.

Local wine tasting... we're more of a beer/whiskey kind of thing, unfortunately or fortunately.

five-star awesome places I can vouch for:

Tamayo. The Samba Room.

It's not five-star, but "La sandia" has some awesome carne asada.

*not to rip on sioux falls, but you're from minneapolis. So it's relatively close, and franchises flock together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever heard of Casa Bonita? It's closer to an amusement park ride than a restaurant. That place is a real trip, although not a destination for a foodie. It may in fact have some of the worst food I've ever had, but anytime we have out of town guests, we end up there.

Quote:
As one of my colleagues put it, it's like Disney had sex with Tijuana and left the goofy-looking bastard to fend for itself in a random strip mall on Colfax.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2009/01/casa_bonita_a_...

Once you're done there the place across the street to actually eat. Chicago's serves great, very authentic Chicago-style sandwiches, and the decor and staff are equally kooky as Casa Bonita.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shatner wrote:
Have you ever heard of Casa Bonita? It's closer to an amusement park ride than a restaurant. That place is a real trip, although not a destination for a foodie. It may in fact have some of the worst food I've ever had, but anytime we have out of town guests, we end up there.

Quote:
As one of my colleagues put it, it's like Disney had sex with Tijuana and left the goofy-looking bastard to fend for itself in a random strip mall on Colfax.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2009/01/casa_bonita_a_...

Once you're done there the place across the street to actually eat. Chicago's serves great, very authentic Chicago-style sandwiches, and the decor and staff are equally kooky as Casa Bonita.

Casa bonita is like, sub taco-bell food grade stuff. Kids love it, but... seriously, you can touch their cheese-glaze if you let it sit for more than 5 minutes, and not get your finger wet. We had to go after south park. When we first moved here, we were like, "That's a real place?!"

The Rio Grande in downtown denver or park meadows is amazingly good margaritas, they're very famous for. They're like this smooth, not overly sugary or sour margarita. The rio grande in boulder, I've heard, is horrible.

Anyway, they have a cut-off limit of 3 margaritas there. I snuck a 4th one in by starting the night at the bar, closing out the tab, and then sitting down to eat.

I was singing, "Wind beneath my wings" to my wife as she was driving me home.

Another thing to note, your alcohol tolerance at higher altitudes is not nearly as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stagger lee wrote:
My wife and I are coming to Denver over Labor Day... I always love to hit up the local gaming scene when I travel! Any must see shops? I also enjoy general weirdness and unique/nerdy shops. I'm also a big MTG player and am always on the hunt for good CCG singles prices.

Shatner mentioned Old Chicago... the other thing that's really good to go to old chicago for, is they tend to have usually about 20-30 beers on tap---most from around the area. Another 70 or so in the bottle. It's not as good as taking a brewery tour, in that you have to pay for beer, but it's a little better in that you don't have drive long distances for it.

Wines... man... I'm at a total blank on that one.

Stranahan's whiskey is highly revered here, if you're into whiskey. It's more of a rye than a bourbon.

If you're into teas, the dunchovy tea house in boulder is pretty good. The Celestial Seasonings tour, when they hit the mint room is pretty good. I've never tasted mint with my eyeballs before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stagger lee wrote:

Beers to try, if you're in the area:

1.) 90 Schilling is, in my opinion, one of the best red/brown beers you'll ever have.
2.) Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I don't even like dark, dark beers, and this was like...magic.
3.) There's a Gordon Biersch on 36 from Denver to Boulder in flatirons crossing. I recommend their hefeweisen. It's a chain, but, you don't have one anywhere near minnesota.
4.) Oscar Blues, I hear good things about. Never been there.
5.) Avery White Devil is a really good belgian wheat.
6.) Fat Tire is a highly revered red beer. I don't know if you have that up there, but it's pretty famous around this geographic location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, yes Fat Tire is pretty popular with a sellect group. We've just started seeing it on tap in some places. My wife enjoys it quite a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://karliquin.com/

Their game collection of euros was nothing short of, 'lacking', but they seemed to have a bunch of CCG stuff, and they're right down the road from Boulder Brewing Company, which is a fantastic place to have a bunch of beers that they're feeling like brewing that week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For game stores you can add The Wizard's Chest

The Wizard's Chest
Cherry Creek North
230 Fillmore St.
Denver, CO 80206
303-321-4304
http://www.thewizardschest.com/

It is a game store/Halloween store.

Plus it has the benefit of being near a bunch of restaurants... I've have never been to Elways http://www.elways.com/ but I have been told it is good, just expensive. Casa Bonita is good only if you have children.http://www.casabonitadenver.com/. The food has gotten "better" but I still think Taco bell has better food.

If you want to game, Attactix has gaming on monday at 6:30. And http://denvergames.com/ posts all their events. Normally monday, Tuesday, and Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Shatner wrote:
Have you ever heard of Casa Bonita?

You can't beat indoor cliff divers, lol.
It's on West Colfax, as I remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K C
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
stagger lee wrote:

I'm also a foodie. I highly recommend Root Down I think it arguably has some of the best food in Denver. It's a trendy, funky place with an emphasis on local food very creatively prepared. It's very busy so you will probably need to make a reservation at least a week in advance. Even with reservations, we have been know to wait for 45 minutes for our table. Everything I have eaten there has been superb. Be forewarned that it is crowded and noisy, but for me, the fun atmosphere and great food make up for it. http://www.rootdowndenver.com/.

I also second the recommendation for the Dushanbe Tea House in Boulder Very tasty food and the restaurant itself is beautiful. http://www.boulderteahouse.com/.

Other tasty places to eat:
My Brother's Bar in Denver has very good bison burgers.

The Vesta Dipping Grill is very fun. I enjoy having all of the dipping sauces. http://www.vestagrill.com/

Osteria Marco has great Italian-style pizzas, and they make a lot of their own cheeses. I highly recommend you try their ricotta. It is excellent. http://www.osteriamarco.com/

Olivea has amazing desserts. The food is really good too, but the main reason you go is for the dessert. http://www.olivearestaurant.com/

If you make it over to the Wizard's Chest in Cherry Creek, there's a great crepes place around the corner. Crepes & Crepes 2816 East 3rd Avenue, Denver, CO‎

There's also a chain of game stores along the front range called It's Your Move. There's nothing particularly unique about them, but they generally take care of my game needs.

I do not recommend Casa Bonita under any circumstances. I went there only once as a child. The food was terrible and it was followed by a chorus of vomit from me and all of my siblings in the car afterward. Actually one of my brothers threw up in the restaurant while we were watching the cliff divers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Smith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
stagger lee wrote:

I like to eat the avocado sandwich at Billy's Inn at 44th and Lowell. I also enjoy the fried pizza dough at Ernie's Bar at 44th and Federal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Wizard's chest, in a large part because it's in the middle of cherry creek, which is a fun place to walk around. It's not the best game store ever, but it's an independent toy and costume store and a Denver icon.

As for Casa Bonita, if you go, just get the fajitas. I've never had a problem with those. If you are a south park fan, it's a must visit. If not, shrug.

Another famous dining spot is The Fort. It's very much a tourist restaurant, but it is pretty fun.

90 shilling used to be better before they switched to larger batches, but it's still good.

Old Chicago is a local-ish chain. Nothing special, or Chicago about it.

The rio Grande is definitely the place to start out a downtown night on the town. It closes at 12, which is why it's an early place.

For live music, el chapultapec is a very old/locally famous jazz club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |