Popular Tags: flgs [+] MN [+] [View All]
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 of our gaming group are moving to Minneapolis, and I'd like to get them a gift certificate to a FLGS up in the great white north.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The source is good, otherwise if they like Fantasy Flight... their event center is here and although it's MSRP it's an experience to go and hang out with people that are there.

http://www.sourcecomicsandgames.com/
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard recommendations:
http://www.sourcecomicsandgames.com/
http://phoenixgamesonline.com/

If they are into Fantasy Flight Games, their Event Center also has a large selection of games for sale: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=13 . They're full retail price with a 10% discount for members.

Edit: ^^^ we are thinking alike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Long
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source. If they are in the Cities and are interested in games, books, comics and DVDs (and statues) it has them covered.

http://sourcecandg.com/

-or if they are FFG fans, the FFG Event Center

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=13

Though you may just want to get them nice scarves and gloves. It's a tad bit chilly here on occasion. whistle

EDIT: I'm sensing a theme here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also good game shops in Minneapolis itself. They aren't as huge as the Source or as specifically plugged-in as FFG's event center, but they're still pretty great. Two in particular sprung up in the wake of Phoenix Games' disappearance from Uptown:

Universe Games (formerly Chaos Games) is about a block away from where Phoenix used to be. They are small but friendly and have a decent stock. They also give 10% discounts on games you order through them that they don't currently have in stock.

Tower Games in south Minneapolis was founded by a former Phoenix employee, and is a bit bigger than Universe. They've got a lot of stock packed into their space.

I've patronized both places frequently, and recommend both. Cheers and best of luck to your friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are going to relocate to the southside of the Cities, Armorded Ogre is new and nice. http://www.armoredogre.com/

Also, point them to the Minneapolis Board Game Marathon threads. It's a fantastic way for new folks to meet other Board Gamers! We have quite the scene here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If they are moving to the north side of the Cities, Village Games is my favorite store ( http://www.villagegames.net )

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses! I'll have to figure out on which side of the city they'll be living, then it's time to make some calls!

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source is amazing. The coolest thing about it was I went to check out the FFG Event Center (being a tourist and all), and they pointed me in their direction. It's cool to see the two stores co-exist and help each other out when they're so close to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Lilly
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is because FFG sells everything at MSRP and so is not competing with any of the local retailers - unless you are a paying member of course. One thing that I have noticed since moving here a couple years ago is that NONE of the local retail gaming shops here compete AT ALL - all stores sell all of their stuff at retail prices. I like to support local shops and all, but when I can go online and get games for 20-60% and often with no shipping (not to mention no local taxes), there is zero incentive to shop from any of these stores. I am convinced they stay in business by not allowing outside food and drinks into the stores and selling their own snacks.

With all of that said, the FFG Event Center is the best place to go if you want to be guaranteed to find any FF game. The Source is probably the best stocked comic & game store in the Twin Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really boils down to what kind of gamer you are. If you're like me, these shops give me a place to play on a very regular basis. I don't mind paying the extra 10 bucks on a game if I know it's going to help keep the place alive. Also, when the Event Center first opened... there WAS a bit of a rift. They were within a couple miles of the place that used to help them run demos, playtests, and gave them a huge boost in the early days. It was a bit of a slap in the face, but yes... it's good to see they "get along." I've been to the Event Center and it's beautiful. Just offers nothing much for people who want to do something besides play FFG games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Just offers nothing much for people who want to do something besides play FFG games.

I have been told a person can bring in and play other games there. I have not inquired personally about such a tactic however, nor attempted it personally, but I know people that have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beckey
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
Just offers nothing much for people who want to do something besides play FFG games.

I have been told a person can bring in and play other games there. I have not inquired personally about such a tactic however, nor attempted it personally, but I know people that have.

I have actually never played a Fantasy Flight game at the Fantasy Event center. I have played Maria twice, Brass, and a few other Euros. The staff were cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wilcoxon
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Others have mostly covered it but I'll chime in anyway...

The Source is the largest store in the Twin Cities (Falcon Heights). They have by far the largest selection of games in stock. They also have area to play games.

Village Games is a great store on the north side (Anoka) of the cities. It has a pretty good selection of games and quite a bit of area to play games. The one thing that puts some people off is that they do not allow outside food or drink.

Armored Ogre is a new(ish) store that seems good in Inver Grove Heights. They have a smaller selection of games to buy but have a proportionately huge area for people to play games (6 long tables iirc in a fairly small store). I've only been there once so far but will be going back on Saturday (the GM who runs LFR at Village Games switched back to Sundays which I can't do).

Monsters Den in south Minneapolis has a decent selection of games for sale (probably on par with Armored Ogre). They have a massive amount of space for playing games. The only downside is that they also have X-Box and PS3 setup on one side and it can get loud/distracting on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

You can, but there are other options for the Twin Cities Eurogamer. Board Game Marathon and the Meetup groups are usually more than enough outside of any personal game groups. Don't get me wrong, it's georgous... I just wouldn't find any reason to go there unless I wanted to shop for FFG games really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls