Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
104 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Where do you buy boardgames from in NZ? Well, here's the complete list. Help make it better! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Howard
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

Life happens, you forget passwords, lists you make get out of date. Then you remember passwords and can then edit a post with much more relevant information.

David -
David Taylor
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- has created a fantastic Geeklist that everyone can more easily contribute to. Thanks David!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/194981/new-zealand-board-...

Cheers,

Troy.

Thanks to everybody that has posted here.
12 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tan
New Zealand
Auckland
North Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auckland

MainlyToys up in Mt Eden. Lots of Euros with a few of the usual suspects.
Vagabond up in the Auckland CBD at Skycity Metro. Smaller compared to MT.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
Give me Ameritrash - or give me death.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wellington:
Wargames Supply
Toyworld Megastore
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In Auckland I use
King of Cards, Basement level, Queen's Arcade.

The most complete list I have seen is one that the NZ distributor, PixelPark maintains.
http://pixelpark.co.nz/buy_games.htm
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, Troy! This might even work as a Geeklist - a new entry fore ach store, then folk can comment/critique under each one. (I know that means even more work, but it can help folk when trying to decide on a retailer to go with.)

Hamilton:
Mark One Comics And Games - primarily a comic store, but it has a good selection of board games and has a good location on the main strip.

Auckland:
King Of Cards - my old haunting ground, and I'd recommend making them your first port of call in the city of sails. The selection isn't what it used to be, but the staff are still pretty helpful.

Additional stores can be found here: http://www.pixelpark.co.nz/buy_games.htm
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
In Auckland I use
King of Cards, Basement level, Queen's Arcade.

The most complete list I have seen is one that the NZ distributor, PixelPark maintains.
http://pixelpark.co.nz/buy_games.htm
Beaten to the punch! thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not a big issue for places like Gore (I could easily walk around that shopping area in a couple of hours without rushing after all) but would it make sense to add some sort of location for places?
Comic Compulsion is at 181 Manchester St for example, right in the centre of the city. They also have a webpage
The Children's Bookshop is at 87 Victoria St, still within the four Aves. webpage
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
Maybe not a big issue for places like Gore (I could easily walk around that shopping area in a couple of hours without rushing after all) but would it make sense to add some sort of location for places?
Comic Compulsion is at 181 Manchester St for example, right in the centre of the city. They also have a webpage
The Children's Bookshop is at 87 Victoria St, still within the four Aves. webpage
Good point.

Mark One: 551 Victoria St Hamilton 3204
King Of Cards: Queens Arcade 34 Queen St Auckland Central Auckland 1010
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trademe.co.nz

Only good source for wargames in New Zealand.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Flack
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunedin Store is called Aargon Hobbies and has a good range of games but a little pricey.

Toyworld, which has just moved back into Meridian Mall, has a small selection of the famous gateways (settlers, carcassonne etc). Hopefully they will up the range as it is rather pathetic at present. Although saying this, a few of us got battlestar galactica at half price as it wasn't selling.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Pedro Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the advertising on this very page (or New Zealand pages) whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly Toys has much more than the usual suspects. I was there last year and they have a whole games loft, with games you can play-test and a huge selection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jshortall wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the advertising on this very page (or New Zealand pages) whistle
At the risk of sounding like a fool...I hadn't actually noticed the advertising at all! blush
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Halloween 2019
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A nudge for the Wairarapa's FLGS:

www.allaboard.co.nz on Featherston's Main Street - very friendly and we have monthly games nights there too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
Give me Ameritrash - or give me death.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wellington:

Wargames Supply
Downstairs, BNZ Centre, 1 Willis St, Wellington Central
Good selection of hobby games from all of the main publishers. Also sell RPG products, Games Workshop, Flames of War, modelling, etc.
Good service - run by gamers.

Toyworld Megastore
24 Ballance St, Wellington Central
Small selection of hobby games in addition to usual mainstream fare.
No specialist board game knowledge among staff as far as I know.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shift
New Zealand
Tauranga
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Tauranga,

Just For Fun
Early Maunganui Rd
An alright selection of board games but mostly puzzles and jigsaws.

Battlezone
Girven Rd
Mainly wargames, Games Workshop mostly, a few board games and a couple of tables to play on.

Some internet cafe I keep forgetting the name of...
Devonport Rd
Mainly an internet cafe, comics, Games Workshop and hosts Friday Night Magic

Cheers

Eric
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EricShift wrote:
Here in Tauranga,

Just For Fun
Early Maunganui Rd
An alright selection of board games but mostly puzzles and jigsaws.

Battlezone
Girven Rd
Mainly wargames, Games Workshop mostly, a few board games and a couple of tables to play on.

Some internet cafe I keep forgetting the name of...
Devonport Rd
Mainly an internet cafe, comics, Games Workshop and hosts Friday Night Magic

Cheers

Eric
It should be noted that the Just For Fun guy, (not sure of his name), is pretty switched on and knows his product range quite well. thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
Trademe.co.nz

Only good source for wargames in New Zealand.
Having not checked TradeMe first, I'd wager that it's probably the best, but I doubt it's the only. (As far as 'new' games go, anyway.) Having said that, I guess that depends on the publisher you're looking for, but Academy Games, Inc. and GMT Games bring products into New Zealand.

The unfortunate difficulty with many war game publishers, though, is that they won't sell anywhere but through their own website. That is, of course, entirely their prerogative, but it limits what local retailers can provide.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Jackson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
A nudge for the Wairarapa's FLGS:

www.allaboard.co.nz on Featherston's Main Street - very friendly and we have monthly games nights there too.
I highly recommend All Aboard games. Fast friendly service, free shipping on orders over $150. I buy nearly all my games from here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot Topic, Howick, Auckland.

It generally stocks a selection of kids and family oriented games but anything available at Pixelpark they are happy to order in. A little more expensive than King of Cards but really only the difference is the same as paying for parking in the city.

Heroes for Sale, K'road, Auckland

Sells boardgames, roleplaying books, collectible figures and comics.

Gotham Comics, Onehunga, Auckland

Last time I looked it had a tiny selection of boardgames, but LOTS of comics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another online shop that used to be in Newmarket, Auckland but now operating outside of Kaipoi. Urban Games http://www.urbangames.co.nz/

This one below I don't personally know, but have the following on the Stella Nova boardgame web page from when I started putting together a list like you are.

The Playground - Featherston http://www.theplayground.co.nz/pages/index.phtml

I buy from The Playground most of the time and I can't recommend them highly enough. Extremely quick (note that emails and online orders appear to be checked outside of shop hours), fantastic service. This is the online store for the All Aboard Games and Toys Shop in Featherston. - recommendation courtesy of a member of Auckland German Board Game Group on Yahoo!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Online

MightyApe.co.nz has a wide range of Eurogames, listed under "Toys" I like their site and service.

Hamilton

Play for Fun was a game cafe, not a store, and is defunct.

Mark One already mentioned.

Vagabond Games and Collectables
65 Bryce St. (Cnr Anglesea St. and Bryce St.)
Ground Floor Bettie-Rickman Building
Phone: (07) 834-3041
Store Email: vagabond-hamilton@xtra.co.nz
Sometimes cheaper than Mark One, but a smaller selection.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Howard
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, thanks for all your help! I had a look at King of Cards, Heroes for Sale and Vagabond on the North Shore. Didn't make it to Mainly Toys, Darling Wife shopped till I dropped at Dressmart!

Almost walked out of Heroes for Sale with SmallWorld, but decided that I needed to get some play out of other recent purchases first. Will be the next thing I get, probably.

Thanks again, and keep the reviews and suggestions coming. Maybe you could let your FLGS know about this thread. Might make some of them a better place to shop!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Jackson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
This one below I don't personally know, but have the following on the Stella Nova boardgame web page from when I started putting together a list like you are.

The Playground - Featherston http://www.theplayground.co.nz/pages/index.phtml

I buy from The Playground most of the time and I can't recommend them highly enough. Extremely quick (note that emails and online orders appear to be checked outside of shop hours), fantastic service. This is the online store for the All Aboard Games and Toys Shop in Featherston. - recommendation courtesy of a member of Auckland German Board Game Group on Yahoo!
That recommendation was from me. Combined with my earlier post above, I guess I doubly recommend All Aboard Games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Howard
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, just bumping this on the off-chance that someone could provide me with some updates?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |