Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can move like a horse in Chess... along a straight path for two spaces (over bugs) and then one to the left or right 60 degrees.
Like a modified grasshopper.
Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ackerman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lady bug can move 3 spaces "over" other pieces and can drop into areas that are off limits due to the sliding piece rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ladybug is a fast beetle. It can pin like the beetle, but moves two spaces instead of just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ladybug flies to any space in the Hive, removing from the game one piece that touches it where it decides to "land."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redmon
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We'll see.
badge
Bro, why you so mad?
mbmbmbmbmb
The ladybug is very special, and she therefore allows for the One Hive Rule to be broken. You can actually break the Hive into two parts, but must immediately place the Ladybug into the gap that you've created!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepper Dog
msg tools
Ladybug possibility
My guess for the ladybug is this...

Its movement pattern can allow it to travel from 1 to 3 spaces, sliding like most normal pieces. However, any pieces that touch the ladybug are unable to be moved, regardless of otherwise possible moves. (i.e. An ant that could move anywhere outside the hive cannot do so if a ladybug touches it.

Beetles or beetle-behaving mosquitoes (either color) that reside on top of the hive are not affected by the ladybug, On a related note, the ladybug's traits are nullified if a beetle or beetle-behaving mosquito (either color) covers it.

As long as the ladybug's traits are not nullified, no pieces can be introduced to the hive next to the ladybug.

(In honesty I joined this thread to see if I could win this contest. My initial guess was already made by the first reply. :3 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hastings
United States
Gretna
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
A king slime attacks.... You might need a band-aid.
mbmbmbmbmb

My initial guesses are all already posted by others, so let's try this...

Guess #1:
The ladybug can move (fly) immediately to any adjacent open space to a tile the player already has in play.

Guess #2:
Placing the ladybug adjacent to a piece already in play allows you to make that section an island - even though this goes against normal game rules - because the ladybug can fly that section without it falling. The ladybug can be used to rejoin the island to the main section, or can allow an island to stand legally as long as the ladybug piece itself is not removed from said island.

Guess #3:
The ladybug tile comes complete with its own can of Raid to kill the opponent's Queen Bee dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ladybug sits there looking beautiful and doesn't move for the rest of the game. It is there to block the space taken and cannot be moved over.

Now, if only there were a swarm of ladybugs, then there might be a bit of movement!

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My attempt: The ladybug moves along the edges between two or more pieces.
(With only this movement, the ladybug cannot move if it is touching only one piece)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
the ladybug moves like the queen, or may move to the outside of the hive following the same rules as placing a new piece
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ladybug moves like the Beetle. Its special ability is to 'fly away home.' As long as doing so does not violate the One Hive Rule, the Ladybug can return to the reserve for replacement later. If atop another bug and removing that bug does not violate the One Hive Rule, she can take one bug with her. If the bug is friendly, it is returned to the reserve. If the bug is an opposing bug, it is not returned to the opponent's reserve. When the Ladybug is placed again, the opposing bug is returned to the opponents reserve. This limits the number of bugs removed from the game to one per player.The Queen cannot be removed in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS COMPETITION IN NOW ENDED
Thanks to all for your participation, there have been some fantastic imaginative guesses.
We now have a big job to read through all of them and find the winner.
The winner will be informed by email and we will post the winners name here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
Gen Four Two wrote:

If that image is a clue, my guess is that it moves in any direction upto 3 spaces, crawling over things in its way, but may not end its movement on the Hive.

Interesting.

(Much easier with a hint.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
Gen Four Two wrote:

If that image is a clue, my guess is that it moves in any direction upto 3 spaces, crawling over things in its way, but may not end its movement on the Hive.

Interesting.

Another possibility: It can move anywhere on the board, so long as it ends its move adjacent to a friendly piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
JonPrud wrote:
Gen Four Two wrote:

Interesting.

Another possibility: It can move anywhere on the board, so long as it ends its move adjacent to a friendly piece.

The southeasternmost space disproves that possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a winner!!!

WillT wrote:
The ladybug flies, but it has a limited flight distance.

The three parts of its movement:
1. Taking off. Place the ladybug on top of any adjacent piece (piece A).
2. Flight. Slide the ladybug to the top of a piece (piece B) that is adjacent to piece A.
3. Landing. Place the ladybug on the playing surface, adjacent to piece B.

Clarifications: The lady bug must begin and end its move on the playing surface and must "fly over" exactly two playing pieces. It does not have to move in a straight line.

Congratulations to Willt for the winning guess, the wording is different but the rule is the same, here is how it is written in our rules:

(The Ladybug moves three spaces; two on top of the Hive, then one down. It must move exactly two on top of the Hive and then move one down on its last move. It may not move around the outside of the Hive and may not end its movement on top of the Hive. Even though it cannot block by landing on top of other pieces like the Beetle, it can move into or out of surrounded spaces. It also has the advantage of being much faster.

In this case, the Ladybug can end its movement in one of the ten green positions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Reality wrote:
The ladybug is able to fly. When flying you can pick up the piece and move it to any open space (not on top of another piece) within 3 spaces. The ladybug can even fly up when it's not able to slide out of it's current position, provided it does not violate the one hive rule.

Ouch, I was so close. cry

Congrats WillT thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations, WillT! out of , I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over two months later, this craziness can stop. Last piece of info we need: when is it being released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At the Spiel 2010 in Essen, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Four Two wrote:

Congratulations to Willt for the winning guess, the wording is different but the rule is the same, here is how it is written in our rules:

(The Ladybug moves three spaces; two on top of the Hive, then one down. It must move exactly two on top of the Hive and then move one down on its last move. It may not move around the outside of the Hive and may not end its movement on top of the Hive. Even though it cannot block by landing on top of other pieces like the Beetle, it can move into or out of surrounded spaces. It also has the advantage of being much faster.

In this case, the Ladybug can end its movement in one of the ten green positions.)

Sounds like it'll be a fun piece to play with! Congrats to Willt! I look forward to seeing the Bakelite version eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you John and Gen42. I had a really good feeling about my guess, so it was the only one I made! Thank you everyone else for your congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
Awesome! Thank you John and Gen42. I had a really good feeling about my guess, so it was the only one I made! Thank you everyone else for your congratulations.

Thanks WillT we will be sending you your prizes on our return from Essen.
We have a limited amount of our games at the fair: Junkyard Races, Hive Carbon and The Ladybug Expansion, due to production being very slow so we have had to fly in to Germany a limited amount just for the fair. The first thing I will do when I get there will be to set aside your prizes.

Thanks again to all for taking part.
I had a good time reading through all of your guess, some very imaginative ideas.

As to when the expansion will be available to buy if your not coming to Essen, we hope soon after but we are always at the mercy of the distributors when it comes to bring in new products, unfortunately

Cheers
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations WillT!
Nice work mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A clarification...

If there is a beetle on the hive, how does that work?

Can the ladybug fly over a beetle (or a stack of beetles), or does she need to fly around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.