B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be heading into Chicago on Amtrak for a trip and my wife and I like to visit local game shops when we travel.

What are the must-see game stores in Chicagoland?

Requirements: Public Transit Accessible (hotel is near Union Station).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like "games plus" in mt. Prospect. They are practically at the metra stop as well. games-plus.com

They are off of the union pacific north metra line. It leaves out of ogilve transportation center, not union station. But it's easily in walking distance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second for Games Plus.

This is a must-visit store. The best in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that Games Plus is the PlusPlus store

Other options include

Chicagoland Games/Dice Dojo on Broadway, off the BrynMawr el stop
and
Cat and Mouse on Armitage nearish the Western el stop.

Check their web sites.

If you are also looking to meet up with people. Games Plus game nite is Thursday, Chicagoland games does open gaming on Wed. Not sure about cat and mouse.

Welcome to ChiTown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat and Mouse should be pretty easily found...

http://www.cat-n-mouse.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Plus. I was awestruck the moment I walked through the front door.

Go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Dojo (google it) is great and they have open gaming on Wednesday nights.

They're a 3 minute walk from the Bryn Mawr stop off the red line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have noted - Games Plus, Chicagoland Games, Cat and Mouse.

Games Plus is easily the biggest and has a fantastic selection of every sort of game. At the same time, it's not exactly the best place to visit IMO. It's a long train ride from downtown out to the burbs, there's not much else to see in its neighborhood, and the store itself has the typical RPG/mini-geek vibe. Others have compared going there to visiting a used bookstore - you spend a while browsing the stacks, maybe find a gem or two, and go home.

Chicagoland Games and Cat and Mouse are both more social and boardgame-oriented. Chicagoland Games has a lot of table space and a rather good selection for a small shop, though nothing truly unusual or out-of-print. Cat and Mouse is more family-oriented with lots of kids games and puzzles as well as a solid BGG-type game selection. Both run events from time to time, which you can check on their websites. Both are in neighborhoods that you could walk around and explore a bit, probably Cat and Mouse moreso. Cat and Mouse is quite a bit closer to downtown than Chicagoland.

I'm particularly fond of Cat and Mouse and visit there regularly - I was there yesterday for their clearance sale, in fact. Linda is a wonderful proprietress and it's the only game shop I've been in that doesn't feel like a stereotypical geek haven, though Chicagoland isn't too bad in that regard either. But Chicagoland is a quality shop too, and usually has more events on the schedule.

Let me know if you're interested in getting together for some bonafide, face-to-face Netrunner, or some other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Plus is great but it is a bit of a drive. Not that easy to get to depending on where you are staying. If you are staying in the north neighborhoods, you actually have to take the el downtown and then Metra to Mount Prospect. Granted, Games Plus is literally right there when you get off the Metra. If you are staying downtown it will take you about an hour. Nothing really to see in Mount Prospect but there is a decent mom and pop sandwich shop across the tracks if you get hungry. Watch out if you go during a Cubs game....lots of drunk suburban fans ride this line to see the Cubs.
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_syst...

Cat-n-Mouse is one of the easiest to get to from downtown. This is my favorite Chicago store for boardgames. Very relaxed, nice people that work there, clean, and near some great restaurants.
Take the blue line to the Western stop (Western/Milwaukee/Armitage, NOT Western/I-290). From the station walk north on Western for 1 block to Armitage, then hang a right. They are then two blocks east of Western.

Black Sun games is a cool store if you are into minis and RPGs but their boardgame selection is small. However, they have a few recent op games like Battlelore in stock. Go after 5:00pm and talk to Tom the owner. Good guy. There are usually games going on all the time. If you are there on Tuesday after 5:00pm I should be there playing Warhammer Fantasy.

Chicagoland is really easy right off the red line in the Edgewater neighborhood. It is a bit of a trip from downtown but not bad and they are right off the line.

This is a good website for planning trips via public transportation in Chicago: http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton McHugh
United States
Greenwood Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Every bald guy should own at least one great hat.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those still using tripsweb, give www.goroo.com a try. It's more-or-less the updated version of tripsweb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh cool they updated goroo.com....lol probably awhile ago but I just kept using tripsweb because goroo had some issues early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
I use goroo.com also, but you may be interested to know that they like to keep your IP info along with past addresses you have searched for stored on their system. It is often convenient, which I guess (hope) is why they do it, but I also find it kind of annoying. Normally, a website would do this sort of thing through cookies (and thus allow the user to decide if they would like to this info to be saved), but this is definitely not what's happening with Goroo.

So if you don't particularly want your address associated with the address of Whips 'n' Chains 'R' Us and stored on a database somewhere, be careful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls