B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be heading into Portland, Oregon for a trip and my wife and I like to visit local game shops when we travel.

What are the must-see game stores in the Portland area?

(We'll probably have a rental car, so that's not a consideration for this destination.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if there are any must see game stores but Guardian Games and Rainy Day Games would be my recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, Rainy Day Games would be my recommendation....I'm not sure what you're looking for from a "must-see" game store though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainy Day Games and Guardian Games have an alternating meetup on Sunday afternoons if you want to play some games. The meetup group is:
http://www.meetup.com/pdxgames/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Must see" means that its more than just some games on a shelf.

Usually we're looking for:
- older shops
- with older inventory
- that support the locals

For example, I went to 'The Time Machine' while on a trip to Connecticut and discovered the largest minature train model layout I'd ever seen. That was a good trip.

I've been on other excursions that turned out to be a small stall in an office park and four shelving units. That one wasn't so good.

Mostly we just like to see how other parts of the country particpate in the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

- older shops
- with older inventory
Just curious. Why the preference for older shops? Could it be a newer shop with older inventory that supported the locals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live on the east side, so I've only been to Rainy Day Games once. It was fairly nice. I go to Guardian Games almost every other Sunday for their Euro Board Game Day, which is a lot of fun. They have one of the largest areas for tables to be set up for board games, card games (including Magic), wargames, RPGs, etc. They have an extensive calendar of events, with something organized going on almost every night. If you're looking for older games, they have a used game section that has a fairly decent inventory most of the time. Their website is here: http://www.guardiangamesportland.com/

Rainy Day Games website is here: http://www.rainy-day-games.com/store.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Eastham
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainy Day is awesome, huge selection, nice staff, etc.

I'd also recommend Bridgetown Hobbies. Bridgetown has a big inventory of cool models and they also tend to carry some eccentric stuff. For example, I picked up Desperado and Shako there.

Have fun in PDX!

-James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

- older shops
- with older inventory
Just curious. Why the preference for older shops? Could it be a newer shop with older inventory that supported the locals?

Older shops tend to have much older inventory, that's all.

Newer shops, those opened in the last few years, tend to have an inventory of familiar stuff, because it's already in my library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
When are you going to be in town? In addition to the previously mentioned shops, we have a meet-up every Thursday evening at the Lucky Lab. There is also a get together at Fisher's Grange in Vancouver the first Friday of the month.

Our local guild has a calendar and websites for all the shops mentioned plus a couple of smaller ones.

Portland, OR, USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Guardian and Rainy Day both have a game shelf for you to play store copies (and a place to set up of course)
Bridgetown Hobbies will set some stuff up for special events (eg miniatures) but otherwise has no store copy library for playing or real space set up to do so. Bridgetown does have a great model section that is fun to poke around.
Enjoy your visit to Portland and if your a beer drinker I recommend Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) on SE powell, the New Old Lompoc on NE 23rd and the Horse Brass on SE Belmont.
Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Guardian games. It has a huge selection of all kinds of games, new and older titles too. And also its got a big playing area for games, plus lots of games you can try for free. Bridge town hobbies is just a game store with a large selection of plastic models like planes and so on, the games section is confined to one area. Rainy Day games is just ok, IMHO Guardian games is the best of those three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Portland for Christmas and a few days following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCallum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainy Day Games is my game store of choice. It is clean, brightly lit, has a great selection of games, and a very friendly staff. RDG is located in Beaverton, which is a suburb of Portland. I live in downtown Portland, less than a mile from Guardian Games, but I always make the trip out to RDG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls