Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a store or two in or near the chicago area with a good selection? I am here with friends for a couple of days and want to pick something up to play together back at the room.

Thanks in advance.

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
My favorite is Cat & Mouse, near the Wicker Park neighborhood. Great folks, great environment, great games. (While you're in the area, grab some falafel and lentils over at Sultan's Market!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome. I'm rather nearish to the Hyde Park area and don't know the city very well. So I will start mapping the way to cat and mouse but would love some other recommendations as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't pass up Games Plus. That place is absolutely incredible. They have...everything!

http://www.games-plus.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
GP is a good store, lots of inventory, for sure; but it's a ways out of the city, and Mount Prospect doesn't have much else to recommend it. But if you go out on a Thursday night, there's open gaming there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicagoland Games, up on Bryn Mawr and Broadway, also has a great selection, along with tons of space in the back to play games. They have boardgaming every Wednesday night and are just a few feet off of the Red Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks for all the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two more...

http://www.blacksungameschicago.com/

http://marblesthebrainstore.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patroclus wrote:
Neither of these is worth a trip from Hyde Park IMO. If he were already downtown, it might be a different story.

Assuming you're driving from HP, Chicagoland Games might be the easiest to get to - just get on Lake Shore Drive and go north until it ends. Cat and Mouse is closer as the crow flies and just off the Kennedy, but the Ryan/Kennedy pretty well suck at any possible time of day. Games Plus will be straight up the Ryan/Kennedy to the tollway, exiting at Elmhurst Road - this is a lengthy trip from HP, probably over an hour even if you have minimal traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Patroclus wrote:
Neither of these is worth a trip from Hyde Park IMO. If he were already downtown, it might be a different story.

Assuming you're driving from HP, Chicagoland Games might be the easiest to get to - just get on Lake Shore Drive and go north until it ends. Cat and Mouse is closer as the crow flies and just off the Kennedy, but the Ryan/Kennedy pretty well suck at any possible time of day. Games Plus will be straight up the Ryan/Kennedy to the tollway, exiting at Elmhurst Road - this is a lengthy trip from HP, probably over an hour even if you have minimal traffic.

I disagree. I live in HP and Marbles is very easy and quick to reach by CTA and worth a visit IMHO.

I have never been inside Black Sun Games so I cannot comment on that store.

Cat and Mouse is definitely worth the visit and would be on the top of my list IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patroclus wrote:
I disagree. I live in HP and Marbles is very easy and quick to reach by CTA and worth a visit IMHO.
Fair enough. It's certainly a matter of opinion. You are talking about the Marbles store in Lincoln Square, right? I browse the shops in that neighborhood every couple weeks and have never seen more than a tiny handful of BGG games there. It does have some cute puzzles and such, but I think Cat and Mouse has better quality on that front. Those Hanayama puzzles that Linda sells are brutal!

Quote:
I have never been inside Black Sun Games so I cannot comment on that store.
It's primarily a minis store - Warhammer, Flames of War, the usual stuff. For that, it's a pretty good shop considering its size. Other than that, they have two bookcases of RPG's, two bookcases of board games, and a box or two of Magic boosters behind the counter. Unless you're going for minis, I don't think there's much reason to go out that way (unless you're coming to visit me, as I live two blocks south).

Quote:
Cat and Mouse is definitely worth the visit and would be on the top of my list IMHO.
Agreed. It's my favorite shop in the area and I always recommend it highly. I just thought Chicagoland Games would be easier for the OP to get to. It's been ten years since I lived in HP, but I used to do the Jeff 6 to the Brown Line every morning to get roughly in Cat and Mouse's neighborhood. Not impossible by any means, but time consuming. Driving straight up LSD to Bryn Mawr seems a lot more pleasant. But maybe transit has improved since I lived there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Probably a moot point for the OP at this point, 'cos he was only gonna be in town for a few days... But for posterity's sake, another plus for Cat & Mouse is the neighborhood it's in. There's a lot more for out-of-towners to visit in Wicker Park than there is up north where Chicagoland & Black Sun are. They're all decent for locals, taking into account what each is, but for a visitor, Cat & Mouse is my first and last recommendation. It's got the hobby games you'd want to see, and it's ensconced in a terrific part of town, with great restaurants and shopping. Geeks in the area should make a point to visit Myopic Books, Quimby's for comics and off-kilter books and magazines, Rotofugi for urban vinyl toys...

So, Joshua, did you get a chance to check out one of these fine establishments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tanner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Chicago and am new to this whole boardgaming thing, so I just wanted to say that I appreciated this thread from an educational perspective :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Wood Dale area until Thursday... is there anything relatively close to me that's any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
I'm in the Wood Dale area until Thursday... is there anything relatively close to me that's any good?
You're not too far from Games Plus. Take Irving Park E to York Rd., then go N on York (it will become Elmhurst Rd). Follow Elmhurst Rd until it hits the train tracks in downtown Mt. Prospect and take a left. You're there. Looks like about 30 minutes to me, but I don't drive out that way very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls