Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have a Duration card from last turn out, does it count as an Action card in play for Peddler? How about the Throne Room that is kept in play when played with a Duration card?

My gut says that they count, but I want to make sure. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read this in the rules.

Yes, they count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, in the general rules area. I was looking at the Peddler area and didn't see it there. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a question about Peddler: Since you don't play actions during your buy phase, when using a card like Apprentice or Remodel or Saboteur on Peddler, you treat this card as if it cost 8, right? If so...well, that's going to be fun. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
I also have a question about Peddler: Since you don't play actions during your buy phase, when using a card like Apprentice or Remodel or Saboteur on Peddler, you treat this card as if it cost 8, right? If so...well, that's going to be fun. devil

Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try a Bishop/Peddler/Worker's Village strategy; you should be able to get free (or 2-cost) Peddlers most turns, while using Bishop to trash Peddlers and get 5 VP Chips each turn. It would take a lot of cards, though, so it would be very risky and difficult to set up, but it sure could be fun, and it would never clog your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ford
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
BaconSnake wrote:
I'd like to try a Bishop/Peddler/Worker's Village strategy; you should be able to get free (or 2-cost) Peddlers most turns, while using Bishop to trash Peddlers and get 5 VP Chips each turn. It would take a lot of cards, though, so it would be very risky and difficult to set up, but it sure could be fun, and it would never clog your deck.

How well this works depends on how strong the downside of letting all your opponents trash a card is.

It does seem fun though. The biggest problem would probably be that it is such an obvious combo that nearly everyone in the game will try for it so each player will only get to trash a few Peddlers this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benford wrote:
The biggest problem would probably be that it is such an obvious combo that nearly everyone in the game will try for it so each player will only get to trash a few Peddlers this way.

If everyone else is going for this strategy, I'm buying Cities.

Seriously though, it's such a hard combo to pull off effectively. I don't think everyone will try to do it, especially when there are so many big money strategies to fiddle with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stormer Jr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:

only 4VP check the specific section for peddler, the cost is reduced for cards in the deck and hand. play bishop peddler goes from 8 to 6, divide by 2 = 3 VP + 1 VP from bishop = 4 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nusku42 wrote:
BaconSnake wrote:

only 4VP check the specific section for peddler, the cost is reduced for cards in the deck and hand. play bishop peddler goes from 8 to 6, divide by 2 = 3 VP + 1 VP from bishop = 4 VP.

It's cost only is reduced in the buy phase. During all other parts of your turn or other players turn it cost 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knauman wrote:
It's cost only is reduced in the buy phase. During all other parts of your turn or other players turn it cost 8.

Well, to be very technical, the cost would be reduced during your opponents' Buy phases as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
knauman wrote:

Well, to be very technical, the cost would be reduced during your opponents' Buy phases as well.

No, the card states "During your buy phase"

-Edit-

Never thought of it that way, I guess you can smuggle one. - sorry, I was thinking of a different card that I proposed like smuggler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knauman wrote:

-Edit-

Never thought of it that way, I guess you can smuggle one.

Huh, you're right. The card states "During your Buy phase" but the FAQ in the rules says "During Buy phases". In practice it shouldn't matter, at least with the cards that have been released.

How is it that you can use Smugglers to gain a Peddler? I don't think it's possible without Bridge (or Black Market/Quarry)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
knauman wrote:

-Edit-

Never thought of it that way, I guess you can smuggle one.

Huh, you're right. The card states "During your Buy phase" but the FAQ in the rules says "During Buy phases". In practice it shouldn't matter, at least with the cards that have been released.

How is it that you can use Smugglers to gain a Peddler? I don't think it's possible without Bridge (or Black Market/Quarry)).

I was thinking wrong. You can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:

It also specifically says that the Black Market "mini-Buy phase" is not considered to be a Buy Phase, so you have to pay top dollar for Black Market Peddlers. That's too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

It also specifically says that the Black Market "mini-Buy phase" is not considered to be a Buy Phase, so you have to pay top dollar for Black Market Peddlers. That's too bad.

This is a strange ruling since this will now almost never be bought during a black market buy phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knauman wrote:
This is a strange ruling since this will now almost never be bought during a black market buy phase.

You mean it will almost never be bought with Black Market. It's not an actual Buy phase, remember?

I don't think it's a big deal that it always costs 8 with Black Market. It's only one card and it makes the rules a little simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dickinson
United States
California
flag msg tools
BaconSnake wrote:

Don't forget how Quarry and Expand could factor into this. So, you could theoretically get a Peddler for free, and the next turn, Expand it into a Colony. Uh...holy crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Smolinski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Quarry is the sickest card in the set. And a must-buy in turn 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
French Taunter wrote:
BaconSnake wrote:

Don't forget how Quarry and Expand could factor into this. So, you could theoretically get a Peddler for free, and the next turn, Expand it into a Colony. Uh...holy crap.

Expand could possibly replace Bishop in this combo, but they would not work well together. An Expand/Peddler/Worker's Village strategy would be completely different; it would be a lot harder to get going (due to the cost of Expand), and would also clog your deck over time. But if you can pull it off, it'll probably work great.

Quarry is just a nice card in general, and that will probably be a turn one buy to get the combo going, along with a loan if it's available to start getting my coppers out as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
knauman wrote:

Doesn't seem so bad to me since there are a lot of cards that aren't usually bought when they come up in the Black Market (usually ones that are desirable in multiples, such as Gardens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ford
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
phoenix1967 wrote:

That really depends on the kingdom cards that are available. With some layouts, the best move is essentially Big Money plus 2 or 3 actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenix1967 wrote:

15 games in, disagree completely. I'd say Goons, Royal Seal, or Counting House have been the most common kingdom cards in winning players' decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ford
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
chadw09 wrote:
phoenix1967 wrote:

15 games in, disagree completely. I'd say Goons, Royal Seal, or Counting House have been the most common kingdom cards in winning players' decks.

Assuming you don't have a 5-2 split to open, a turn 1 or 2 Quarry should give the best odds on being able to get a turn 3 or 4 Goons or Counting House.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benford wrote:
chadw09 wrote:
phoenix1967 wrote:

Assuming you don't have a 5-2 split to open, a turn 1 or 2 Quarry should give the best odds on being able to get a turn 3 or 4 Goons or Counting House.

Agreed. But that doesn't exactly make Quarry "the sickest card in the set."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.