Ben Boersma
Australia
Officer
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Dawn: Rise of the Occulites fanMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers - 5th AnniversaryMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game design
I don't know if anyone is still subscribed to this thread, but I just read back over it all again. It was a great discussion at the time and reflecting back on it now is rather enlightening.

FFG did end up rounding out the Dwarves. But they also rounded out the humans (which was great) before finishing up the line (which was devastating!).

Second edition has come out since then, changed many of the core rules and didn't get past three factions either before being put out to pasture... it is a frustrating journey that Battlelore took in the end.

For me first edition was the better of the two, but I realise that second edition did change things that (although I personally didn't like at all) brought some others more enjoyment. But even they are now out of luck with the line being sold off in the holiday sale.

I still hold out hope for someone to handle a Fantasy C&C game properly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a whileMicrobadge: Christian
The game is cursed for sure. With GMT taking over the Medieval line, I don't know that a fantasy version will ever rise again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Heroscape fan
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
I don't know if anyone is still subscribed to this thread, but I just read back over it all again.
I'm still subscribed Ben. BL2E ended up like I thought it would and I'm glad I never bought into it.

I was always pleased with BL1E set and still am. All I ever really wanted for it was an updated rule and/or official FAQ document. Of course additional Lore cards and some races would have been fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a whileMicrobadge: Christian
My first thought when FFG merged with Asmodee was we could get BL back under DOW and get a "real" 2nd edition out with a new human army and elves and (kick)start this thing over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A major case of deja vu - so much promise (again) that just failed to reach the heights that it could/should have done - but in the end it is us gamers that are to blame - neither game received the commercial backing that it needed to give DOW/FFG the incentive to continue with development and production - very sad but cannot really blame them - they are commercial enterprise at the end of the day and need to produce games that sell and make a profit - i can only assume that Battlelore just did not make enough money for them.

I prefer 2E but that is just a matter of personal preference - I guess both 1E and 2E players are in the same boat - they have a lot of very good content that should keep them happy for ages but also see so much potential that will now not see the light of day unless you are very creative and can do a lot of the work yourself.

My biggest disappointment with 2E is that we did not see the much speculated about "other" races - Dwarves, Elves, and Orcs - that would have been so very good.

Epic play is another obvious missing link but there are a number of examples of C&C epic mechanics around now so that can probably be cobbled together using the available examples.

I have just done a very generous trade to reacquire Rune Age and the Oath & Anvils expansion as a reference for a possible fan based attempt at the "other" races - probably kidding myself but it is a start at least.

I really cannot see another company taking on the fantasy version of the C&C system despite it's obvious appeal to many of us - a lot of fans resisted 2E because they had so much invested in 1E - how keen would you all be to buy into 3E?

And now FFG have their Runewars miniatures game in the pipeline - it has some interesting concepts although personally I find the dials a bit of a distraction and detraction from the look of the game on the table top. How likely are we to see this game reach it's design potential given what i see as a very difficult sales proposition in an already very crowded fantasy miniatures market - is the dials mechanism enough of a "point of difference"? At least the Runewars miniatures may be compatible to 2E which is of course little solace for all the 1E fans.

gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Officer
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Dawn: Rise of the Occulites fanMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers - 5th AnniversaryMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game design
I won't be touching that system personally Gary. It will likely end up another half finished game.

BL sold well, just not as well as other stuff like Star Wars. With Runewars Miniature game coming out, I knew we would see the end of support for 2nd edition. Because to them one would cannabalise the other. So it is better in their mind to kill one off before it gets to that. Then you have a group of people looking for a new fantasy system as their old one is dead... oh, what's this FFG are releasing soon? Oh maybe I'll try that... boo to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben, a very sensible reply - and exactly what all my logic and reason tells me - so why do I keep looking at posts on the Runewars Miniatures game page and monitoring progress????

I will definitely hang off to see how it all goes once we have a general release of the game and hopefully common sense will prevail - but it does look to have some new and quite innovative mechanisms and the miniatures look nice - tempting even if the inevitability of being disappointed looms very large indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 09 RPGG posterMicrobadge: Plays by emailMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Realist
joefling34 wrote:
Anyone play Small World for IPad? It's really cool and addicting!
I agree, it is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Dice Tower Convention attendeeMicrobadge: 2020 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek Adventures RPG fan
I'm still subscribed, actually to the whole of the BattleLore forum. Thanks for refreshing this thread. It is indeed a time of reflection. There is still a lot of life left in BL and in C&C in general. I am still noodling around with Elves and Undead in my own home brew for BL1. I don't think I'll ever leave the game.

Here's a bright spot to consider. The below picture was taken by me at Dice Tower Con IV this past summer. There, Richard Borg was teaching a group of very young people to play C&C Epic (this was Battle Cry) with his own custom board and miniatures.

It was fantastic to see them having a wonderful time and I realized this system is an eternal one. I think it's not understood by a lot of the general game populace, but this one is timeless; and maybe, just maybe we will see someone pick up C&C fantasy again someday.

From gallery of zaccardi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |