Subject: Good gaming stores in london rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday i go for a trip of five days to london.

Anyone who can recommend me a few shops worthwhile visiting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vatican City
msg tools
badge
mb
www.leisuregames.com is well worth a visit, even if it requires a trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisure Games is the best game shop in London. They know their stuff - I once saw one of them answer what game she should buy for a neighbour's son who was Chinese and autistic. I kid you not.

You have to go to Finchley Central on the Northern line then it's a five minute walk down Ballards Lane. Combine this with a visit to Durum Ocakbasi, a great Turkish/Anatolian restaurant. There are also lots of Turkish and Polish food shops up there - a great day out.

The other games shop is Orc's Nest. The good thing is it's centrally located and near Seven Dials (the nicer, less touristy part of Covent Garden). You can get a good champagne cocktail in The Dial Bar. A word of warning - Orc's Nest sometimes tests the concept of the F in FLGS. One member of staff whom I have nick-named "the Friendly Young Woman" is exactly that - she seems to enjoy gaming and it comes across. There have been occasions where the other workers (one I have christened "Computer Patience Geezer") are less interested in being helpful and seem to hope that you part with your cash as soon as possible and stop interrupting their day. I've posted about them before and things have got better but I'd rather spend my cash at Leisure Games.

Finally there was Playin' Games which is on Museum Street (very near the British Museum). I've not been in that part of London recently but I heard it was closing or had closed. I think they might have sold off all the stock.

There is also Hamleys' on Regent Street - the "world's most famous toy store." I don't know whether it is any good for boardgames but it is a good place to visit for younger children, although they will pester you for toys that cost a lot more than in regular toy shops. It does have a sort of 'magical toy store' feel to it although the surly teenage staff are good at dispelling that atmosphere quite quickly.

To be honest and unless it's something you really cannot get in Belgium I'd save your money. Games are pricey over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't been to Leisure, but I have been to Orc's Nest on a number of occasions. Have to say, that shop is crammed to bursting with titles of all sorts, including a very respectable wargame section. You might well be able to find something there that you can't get in Belgium, depending on your local situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playin' Games is closed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replys.

Its more to visit then to buy unless i find something i wanted and did not find in belgium or surrounding countrys.

However heroscape is hard to find here. Any usefull adresses for those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
drxcm wrote:
Playin' Games is closed
Very disappointing. I used to go for occasional meetings in that part of town, and a trip to Playin' Games was always my little treat. Oh, and a swift pint in the Museum Tavern. Mind you, the rent must have been enormous.

Orc's Nest it is then, though Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Avenue is quite good if you like comics and CCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls