Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
70 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: The Doggie Bag - Leftovers Math Trade - Discussion Thread - Results Posted! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, you all know the routine so I'll keep the preamble short. Here's the leftovers followup to the super successful Dog Days Math Trade.

Please make sure to read through the rules.

Trade Geeklist: The Doggie Bag - Leftovers Math Trade - Results Posted!

Request GeekList: The Doggie Bag - Leftovers Math Trade - Request List

Submissions Dates/Times:

Posting Games: Sunday August 15th (11:00 PM EDT) to Thursday August 19th (10:00 AM EDT)

Want List Submissions: Thursday August 19th (10:00 AM EDT) to Saturday August 21st (11:00 AM EDT)

Results posted shortly thereafter.

Rules (Please read carefully):

1. Gift Certificates, GeekGold, and all items outside the scope of BGG etc are all permitted. However, Gift Certificate and GeekGold arbitrage are NOT allowed. Neither are cash offerings.

2. Non-game entries must be added using "Outside the Scope of BGG" (Game ID 23953). Make sure to use the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item for it to properly show up in the OLWLG.

3. Sweetners are to be listed using the "Insert Geek Link" dropdown menu or manually inserted using the GAMEID link. If you don't follow this format your sweetners will not show up in the OLWLG.

4. You must describe the condition of your games as accurately as possible. This includes both the box and it's contents.

5. You must clearly state the editions and languages of all games posted. Do not just state "edition as posted", as pictures do not show up in the OLWLG.

6. Shipping - You must clearly state your shipping policies for this math trade. At a minimum, you shall be required to cover shipping to your own country's contiguous mainland (sorry AK & HI). If you fail to state your shipping policy, it will be assumed that you will ship anywhere in the world for free!

7. Do NOT delete any entries after they have been submitted. Just include a blank wantlist for that particular item instead.

8. Please do NOT include links to any other games (or items) in your entries, so that they are not misleadingly displayed as sweetners in the OLWLG.

9. Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for submissions. Refer to the following document for help:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

10. If you have been reported as a bad trader, do NOT try to participate. Any entries made will be removed.

11. Any other questions or issues, just ask.

Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 (with duplicate protection) SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Thursday, August 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Deadline-Wants: Saturday, August 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
%End%

Good luck and happy trading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Doggie Bag - Leftovers Math Trade - Discussion Thread
Missing Users:

# MISSING 27 WANTS (2.2%) FROM 7 USER(s) (4.1%):
# casterman (4)
# dcrowell (4)
# dogmatix (3)
# evil_rabbit (7)
# jayhawkmood (7)
# shotokanguy (1)
# Twelvecarpileup (1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Wants:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/57755-officialwants.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Results:

Results (OLWLG): http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Results (TXT): http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/57755-results-official.txt

Num trades = 112 of 1219 items (9.2%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the MT restricted only to leftovers of the DD MT or can new entries be added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
No - you can enter new items Tom.

Nice title for the event BTW. Gave me a laugh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running this! Are you also running a full math trade in 2-3 weeks? Or has someone else already volunteered to do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Thanks for running this! Are you also running a full math trade in 2-3 weeks? Or has someone else already volunteered to do that?

Is this not a full math trade? (What would the difference be? Length of time?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:
rgatti wrote:

It is a full/unrestricted math trade. However, calling it a "leftover" math trade implies that it isn't independent and tried to previous events. I think this limits the overall success of the trade, as does that lack of time between trades (and the resulting burnout following "leftover" trades that tends to make another full trade much longer in coming).

Basically, if you're going to have 2 trades in a month, is it better to have them back-to-back or evenly spaced? (of course, if you still have them evenly spaced and then have back-to-back "leftover" trades added into the mix, then it's all good.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a right/wrong for spacing out Math Trades. Considering how large and successful the last MT was, even if we get 50% of the items/participants for this one it would still be considered very good.

Personally I think that there can never be enough MT's on the go, but that's just my personal opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
dogmatix wrote:
rgatti wrote:

It is a full/unrestricted math trade. However, calling it a "leftover" math trade implies that it isn't independent and tried to previous events. I think this limits the overall success of the trade, as does that lack of time between trades (and the resulting burnout following "leftover" trades that tends to make another full trade much longer in coming).

Basically, if you're going to have 2 trades in a month, is it better to have them back-to-back or evenly spaced? (of course, if you still have them evenly spaced and then have back-to-back "leftover" trades added into the mix, then it's all good.).

I like having 4-6 week gaps between math trades. I think that a delay like that just gets everyone more interested when it does come around. That makes for a larger event, with more items and participants, and makes people more eager to trade - leading to more reasonable want lists.

My impression from running these is that the more frequently the math trades come, the more people tend to have short want lists and "target" particular items, thinking that it's no big deal if they don't get it that time, because there will be another math trade to try again in a week or two. I have no evidence for that beyond my own observations, but I like to think those are worth something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: There has been a slight change to Rule #6 - Shipping. You are now only required to ship to your own country's contiguous mainland.

Or in other words, for those of you in the lower 48, you are not required to cover shipping to AK & HI, but can choose to do so if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
NOTE: There has been a slight change to Rule #6 - Shipping. You are now only required to ship to your own country's contiguous mainland.

Or in other words, for those of you in the lower 48, you are not required to cover shipping to AK & HI, but can choose to do so if desired.

Do you have similar issues with PEI and parts of Newfoundland? Or is it all flat-rate in Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:

I like having 4-6 week gaps between math trades. I think that a delay like that just gets everyone more interested when it does come around. That makes for a larger event, with more items and participants, and makes people more eager to trade - leading to more reasonable want lists.

My impression from running these is that the more frequently the math trades come, the more people tend to have short want lists and "target" particular items, thinking that it's no big deal if they don't get it that time, because there will be another math trade to try again in a week or two. I have no evidence for that beyond my own observations, but I like to think those are worth something.

You're probably right, Jack, but I'll be jumping on this. I only traded 4 of 22 offers on your MT, and as my goal was to clear space, I'll likely expand my Wants. Hopefully others will too.

(while on the subject of this MT's predecessor, I never did thank you for running the last one. I won the Formula Dé Circuits 23 - 26: USA Track Pack #1 at long last thanks to you!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Cannibal Ox wrote:

Do you have similar issues with PEI and parts of Newfoundland? Or is it all flat-rate in Canada?

No similar issues with Canada's east coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
anglotiger wrote:
I like having 4-6 week gaps between math trades.

Between shipping math trades, yes.

FWIW, given the success of previous leftover math trades, I'm sitting out of this one. Too much work with too low a chance of a return...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
Ireland
Flagmount
County Clare
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So while I agree in general that 4-6 weeks is good between Math trades, I think the sheer size of the last trade indicated so much demand that an additional one is warrented. You have many new people like myself who are now hungry for these things. Plus you have people with big lists who probably didn't move more than half of their games. I think that I will expand my wants for the items that did not move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like short math trades, with more frequency. It's not as labor intensive for all parties involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can exclude Alaska and Hawaii, why can't I also exclude the parts of California that are the same USPS shipping zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ratpfink wrote:
If I can exclude Alaska and Hawaii, why can't I also exclude the parts of California that are the same USPS shipping zone?

Not 100% sure, but I think the issue with shipping outside the lower 48 has to do with UPS/Fedex charging higher rates to AK & HI. AFAIK the USPS charges flat rate shipping throughout the entire country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I like short math trades, with more frequency. It's not as labor intensive for all parties involved.

i agree. i usually take a final pass at the entire list just before the end of the trade, but that was way too daunting with this last trade - not that i am complaining, this last trade was quite excellent for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ratpfink wrote:

I'm glad that you asked that question in an event that I'm not moderating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grafpoo wrote:
diehard4life wrote:

i agree.

We've seen that tried. Four unrestricted math trades in four weeks.

The trade percentages were 10,4%, 8,0%, 10.4% and 6,3%. That pretty much makes my point for me. More frequent math trades = more chances to trade but it's less likely you'll be able to trade at all in any given math trade because people tend to be far more picky in their want lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it's that people are more picky or that the good stuff traded in the first MT so the follow-up just has the stuff people didn't want enough to get a trade before. I know for me, by the time this many items were added in the Dog Days trade, I had 3x the wants on my list as I do for this one. I think that there needs to be some time to let the supply build up between these. That being said, we'll see what happens here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone's been wondering why the tradelist hasn't been updating in the OLWLG, there's currently an issue when trying to do a resync.

I'll send Jeff a geekmail and hopefully he can look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.