Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Kaplan
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey gamers. So I live in Waltham, MA and my favorite friendly game store (Danger Planet) had their building sold out from underneith them. It's a hair salon now shake

Does anyone know of other good stores in the Boston area? I'm mostly interested in the area just outside the city (newton, Waltham, Lexington, Needham etc.), but any list of local stores would be helpful.

Thanks! If this should be posted in the regional forum instead, I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the few that I know of:

http://www.eurekapuzzles.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

http://jpcomicsandgames.com/index.html

http://www.yourmovegames.net/

I have been to Eureka Puzzles and The Compleat Strategist. Of those I would guide you to EP where the staff was a little more helpful, and I liked the store itself better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hirsch
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, Your Move Games is closed.

I recommend Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge. You'll find the board games downstairs.
http://www.pandemoniumbooks.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
nmkaplan wrote:
Hey gamers. So I live in Waltham, MA and my favorite friendly game store (Danger Planet) had their building sold out from underneith them. It's a hair salon now shake

Does anyone know of other good stores in the Boston area? I'm mostly interested in the area just outside the city (newton, Waltham, Lexington, Needham etc.), but any list of local stores would be helpful.

Thanks! If this should be posted in the regional forum instead, I apologize.

Crap! I met the owners once; they seemed like the nicest folks. Do you know if the store has re-opened anyplace else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Also The Games People Play in Cambridge, between Central and Harvard Squares (incidentally just a 10 minute walk from Pandemonium, if you want to hit up both).

Your Move has closed but it merged into Pandemonium, so now the latter has a ton of stock.

If you are looking for a place you can hang out and play, Pandemonium has a lot of room. The Games People Play is more of a family-friendly, less-smelly-gamer kind of place (lots of family games and puzzles, no CCGs), but the staff at Pandemonium is nicer and Pandemonium has a frequent buyer rewards program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The people here have already listed my go-to places for games.

The Games People Play - Has a good selection, MSRP priced games, but the employees are less than helpful and always seem annoyed.

Eureka Puzzles - Has a decent selection but the coolest and most helpful staff I have ever met.

Pandamonium Books and Games - Has a mediocre selection, but the only real place you can go to if you want space to play. I mostly go for their book selection. The game room (read: basement) is a little intimidating (and a tad smelly).

The Compleat Strategist - Best selection around and really helpful staff. Only problem is their very strange (and cramped) location and their small play area.

JP Comics & Games - Haven't been here so I can't give a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lewis
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JP Comics and Games has a moderate selection of games, but does a good job of keeping stock current. They also host a game night on Thursdays at 6:30pm.

P.S. The current location for Compleat Strategist is genuinely creepy the first time you walk down the long mostly unmarked hall with signs assuring you you're going in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philewis wrote:
P.S. The current location for Compleat Strategist is genuinely creepy the first time you walk down the long mostly unmarked hall with signs assuring you you're going in the right direction.
Seriously, I expected to see a sign saying "Beware of the Leopard" a la HHGTTG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't have anything to add beyond what's already been mentioned, but I want to throw my support behind Eureka. It's a great store with helpful staff and they do great things for the community, like their weekly game nights (which had a better home at the Marriott before the Marriott decided they needed a restaurant, but oh well). Their stock is not complete but they do have a huge variety is comparable to the stock at Pandemonium. Only downside is that Eureka does not have a regular play space outside its game nights.

I seriously dislike Pandemonium - there is one dude working there who has actually greeted me every time I've been in and I get ignored or looked at sideways by the other clerks. Not to mention that the stock room and the game room is a musty basement that needs some serious ventilation.

I haven't been back to the Compleat Strategist in a while (mostly the location - while about the same distance from me as Pandemonium, I'd rather walk to Central Square than down Comm Ave), but it was a cool little store with a good amount of stock in a small space. It's nothing like the New York store though, which is humongous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
When visiting Boston after our wedding (a year ago), my wife and I found a store near Coolidge Corner. If one walks parallel the T tracks back towards Boston on the right hand side of the street, it's nearly a block down. I forget the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's Eureka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kaplan
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
markus_kt wrote:
Crap! I met the owners once; they seemed like the nicest folks. Do you know if the store has re-opened anyplace else?

I'm not sure if you are referring to Your Move Games or Danger Planet. The folks at Danger Planet were always friendly, had lots of space to play, and hosted events all the time. Not to mention the fact that they were located a 5 minute walk from my front door.

I know they were *planning* on re-opening somewhere. Not that that means anything, of course. Their website (dangerplanetgames.com) is still live.

Thanks for all the replies! Much obliged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant Danger Planet. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koenig
United States
Weston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Samort7 wrote:

The Games People Play - Has a good selection, MSRP priced games, but the employees are less than helpful and always seem annoyed.
Pandamonium Books and Games - Has a mediocre selection, but the only real place you can go to if you want space to play. I mostly go for their book selection. The game room (read: basement) is a little intimidating (and a tad smelly).

I had the same experience at The Games People Play and also thought Pandamonium was subpar. I prefer getting a core group of people together at our various houses than game at a shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemonium bought out Your Move Games, and then closed it. Pandamonium is one of the few places left in Boston that you can actually play games in a store. Their selection is more geared to RPGers and the Magic players than anything else. It's very much more of a gamer store than the others.

Eureka is more puzzles than games but does have a good selection. It's not bad of a T ride to get there.

Complete Strat is good, but their space is still a bit small. They have more war games than the other stores.

Games People Play is... odd. I've felt like it should be more in a mall than where it is. It has some pretty random stuff but I've never had anyone greet me or talk to me more or less.

I haven't been to the JP one as that is a fair bit of a T ride out there. I may have to check it out sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls