Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
...at least in Canada, I can't vouch for other locations.

By Housefullofgames, the same guy(s?) that did the fantastic Mu for iDevices .

I downloaded this Tichu app last night and played a lot. My only real complaint is how s-l-o-w the CPU decisionmaking is at the default difficulty setting. I may have to turn down the difficulty just for the sake of impatience.

3 bucks well spent, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Snagged. My productivity just went to zero today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy. *heads to app store*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
...at least in Canada, I can't vouch for other locations.

By Housefullofgames, the same guy(s?) that did the fantastic Mu for iDevices .

I downloaded this Tichu app last night and played a lot. My only real complaint is how s-l-o-w the CPU decisionmaking is at the default difficulty setting. I may have to turn down the difficulty just for the sake of impatience.

3 bucks well spent, in my opinion.

Thanks for he heads up!
WHich device are you using to run this app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
My only real complaint is how s-l-o-w the CPU decisionmaking is at the default difficulty setting.

default is quick on the iPhone 4, but the default is not Hard enough. I switched it to the next one up and it slowed down a bit, but only played one hand so far.

I can imagine that it might be slow on the iPhone 3G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Neumann
United States
Auburn
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing on "Best" and while it is a bit slow, it's not any slower than when you play quickly on BSW. Plus, you don't have to deal with rude people or somebody leaving in the middle of a game so I'm not going to complain.

I made some suggestions to Steve today about it automatically passing for you when you can't play anything (in non Bluetooth mode of course where the timing of your passing wouldn't give anything away) and a few others that would speed up the overall game speed without messing with the AI.

Great iPhone, etc. app for any Tichu fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
found a bug. Wouldn't let me use the phoenix in a 10-A straight. As i pushed all the cards up, it changed to Play selected cards when I added the phoenix, but it wouldn't do anything when i tapped the button.

I was trying to use the phoenix as the '10'.

Cost me a tichu *grumble*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
This is a nice looking app and a reasonable starting point. But I can't recommend it to experienced Tichu players without one or all of the following improvements:

A) Internet multiplayer 

B) Stronger AI

C) Much faster AI

I could live with the weak AI if it was fast, using the app as a solitaire filler. But it's painfully slow on my 3GS, noticeably slower than your average BSW game. 

And the AI is very weak, even when set to Best. For example, in one hand my RHO had the lead holding 67TJQAA and led AA. 

Another: Partner leads mahjong and wishes for a 3. RHO plays 4, I play 6, LHO bombs with 3s. Why let me ditch a low single?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
found a bug. Wouldn't let me use the phoenix in a 10-A straight. As i pushed all the cards up, it changed to Play selected cards when I added the phoenix, but it wouldn't do anything when i tapped the button.

Found the exact same bug - sent it to the designer. Hopefully it's fixed soon. I've been able to use the phoenix in other five card straights.

I've ramped all the opponents up to their highest difficulty - game play is slightly slow, but much better decisions made by the AI.

On my wish list is an option to play Chaos Tichu! Then I may never get anything done ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

Found the exact same bug - sent it to the designer. Hopefully it's fixed soon. I've been able to use the phoenix in other five card straights.

I've ramped all the opponents up to their highest difficulty - game play is slightly slow, but much better decisions made by the AI.

On my wish list is an option to play Chaos Tichu! Then I may never get anything done ever again.

Another confirmation that there is a Phoenix bug. I was trying to use it as a 9 in a 6 card straight, if I remember. The game button changed to play selected cards, but then wouldn't actually play them when I pressed the button. Had to break up a different set to use the 8 out of it to play the phoenix.

It may be that the game gets confused when the phoenix is at the end of the straight, particularly when there is an Ace at the other end?

Other than that, a truly, truly brilliant game and implementation.

My only other recommendation might be to increase the size of the spaces recognized when exchanging cards at the start of the round. If you don't slide them to exactly the right place, they drop back into your hand.

As others have said, it is about the best value for $3 conceivable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:

Set play style to aggressive and skill level to better and it pretty much is Chaos Tichu and there'll be grand tichu and tichu calls up the ying yang.

I can't say I encountered the Phoenix bug in a straight out of hundreds of games I tested....hmmm that's a shocker. Next time screenshot it if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The bug you're talking about is in the UI's hand validation code. There is a piece of code that is supposed to prevent human players from making illegal plays, even if the hand has changed in the split second between the time the UI was last refreshed (when the game decided to show the play button) and the time the button was actually pushed. That piece of code doesn't recognize as valid a straight beginning with a Phoenix and ending with an Ace. The fix has been submitted since Thursday and right now we're just waiting for Apple to push it through. Should be out any day now.

You also might like to read my latest blog post which talks a bit about the different AI settings, performance, and a couple of other things you might find interesting. You can find it here: http://hfog.blogspot.com/2010/08/some-tichu-answers.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Play of the dog when one's partner is out is seemingly being misjudged. Several times now I've seen a player on-lead play the dog and give the lead to the right-hand opponent ... when he would have gone out just playing out his hand - the opponent couldn't beat anything - and playing to dog last.

It would appear that whatever consideration it gives to play of the dog doesn't change when that player's partner is out (and RHO isn't). Or if it does change, it doesn't change for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Play of the dog when one's partner is out is seemingly being misjudged. Several times now I've seen a player on-lead play the dog and give the lead to the right-hand opponent ... when he would have gone out just playing out his hand - the opponent couldn't beat anything - and playing to dog last.

It would appear that whatever consideration it gives to play of the dog doesn't change when that player's partner is out (and RHO isn't). Or if it does change, it doesn't change for the better.

Playing the dog last means that if you get bombed or otherwise lose the lead, you will almost certainly go out last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
...and in some of the cases I was talking about, there was one (right-hand) opponent left, with one or two cards. There's no bomb coming from such a hand, and a lost lead is the end of the hand anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A lot depends on the difficulty setting and I'd be the last person to claim the AI is perfect but it does tend to play better at the end of the hand and I can think of many reasons that the AI might play the dog as you describe. One thing to keep in mind is that the AI counts cards perfectly and it also always tries to maximize the score. If there is a chance that by giving up the lead instead of just going out it may capture another point card and still go out, it may choose to do that. You may also notice cases where the AI deliberately avoids going out because its team will score higher that way.

Still, I am aware of several weaknesses in the AI and I am going to try to address as many as I can with future updates. If you run into anything that you think I should know about, don't hesitate to send me email and I'll see what I can do about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I found a bug. Got some screenshots too. What's your email address again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:

steve-at-housefullofgames-dot-com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SteveBl wrote:
The bug you're talking about is in the UI's hand validation code. There is a piece of code that is supposed to prevent human players from making illegal plays, even if the hand has changed in the split second between the time the UI was last refreshed (when the game decided to show the play button) and the time the button was actually pushed. That piece of code doesn't recognize as valid a straight beginning with a Phoenix and ending with an Ace. The fix has been submitted since Thursday and right now we're just waiting for Apple to push it through. Should be out any day now.

And the fix went live just tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveBl wrote:
blindspot wrote:

steve-at-housefullofgames-dot-com

Just discovered what I thought was a bug was actually not. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In case anyone is interested, I've just added a FAQ to the Tichu support web site.

http://tichu.housefullofgames.com/faq.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great FAQ - explained some things that boggled my mind about my opponent's play. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A co-worker of mine has recently upgraded his 2G iPod Touch IOS to a beta of 4.1 - and many of the S-L-U-G-G-I-S-H apps from 4.0 are zipping along at least as fast as they were in 3.x now. So maybe my complaint about slow play is about to be resolved by an OS update. Full public deployment of IOS 4.1 is supposedly due this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SteveBl wrote:
A lot depends on the difficulty setting and I'd be the last person to claim the AI is perfect but it does tend to play better at the end of the hand and I can think of many reasons that the AI might play the dog as you describe. One thing to keep in mind is that the AI counts cards perfectly and it also always tries to maximize the score. If there is a chance that by giving up the lead instead of just going out it may capture another point card and still go out, it may choose to do that. You may also notice cases where the AI deliberately avoids going out because its team will score higher that way.

To demonstrate to all that I'm NOT nuts:

I'm already out. My partner has won the lead with 555. If my partner has perfect card memory, she knows that neither of her pairs can be beaten. She's out and we score a 1-2 200 if she plays pair-pair-Dog. But she instead leads Dog and gives the lead to the opponent with one card left (and proceeds to be the last player left in the hand not having played any more cards). We wind up winning the hand 65-35 rather than the 200-0 we should have won by.

I'm finding it hard to rationalize this as 'proper play'. And I've seen many situations just like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No one has accused you of being nuts. If you encounter things like this I would appreciate it very much if you would just send me email so I can look into it further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.