Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on a hex variant, where you play against the computer in an internet browser.

Each turn both players bid on a randomly-chosen hex, with the higher bidder getting control of the hex. Players start with 10 resources to bid with, and get 1 a turn. The object of the game is the same as Hex.

I have an algorithm for working out the value the computer ascribes to a given hex given the respective levels of resources and the state of the board, but I'm not sure how good it is.

Does anyone know of existing formulas I could look at, or have any ideas of their own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Six does a kind of tree search. So, in a way, it assigns values to hexes. However, the game you describe interferes with the assumptions behind the program. There is no bidding in Hex. Anyway, your proposal sounds interesting, because Hex will lead to a result eventually.

Maybe it could go like this: Both players set up a ranked list of all cells on the board. Player A gets his topmost rated cell. Then that item is removed from the list of B, and B gets his two topmost cells. These in turn a removed from A's list whose two cells... and so on. If you want an ongoing auction, however, you will need a different mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls