Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to write a few short examples that show how 51st State works. Today I will show you how different cards can produce different resources. You’ve probably read that every single card has three different ways to be used during the game. How exactly does it works?

Let’s look at school. Let’s assume that your leader sees the school on the horizon…

You can connect to this location with road or rails and it will be a part of yours State. In this situation you will be given 1 human resource every turn. You have the school, you have many kids, you have cheap workers!

You can have a deal with the school. You don’t spend resources to build a road, but you only sign a deal. This is the blue space on the card. It gives you 1 human resource as well in every turn. The school will send you a kid to work every month! (so why put it as location if it is the same as a deal? I will talk about that later on.)

You can invade the school. You don’t want to build the school. You don’t need a kid to work every turn. You just need many of them now! This is the red space on the card. It gives you 3 human resources in a moment, right now! But then you will receive nothing. School is burnt, destroyed, no more kids ever.

Piece of cake, isn’t it?

One School, three different ways of playing the card. Quite easy to understand what is going on, right? Let’s take a look at another card! You look around, and you find a Police Station on the horizon…

When you connect to it via some roads and you put it in your State as a building, you will receive a special action – it changes a gun into Victory Points. It is easy to understand. You have the police. Every time you use a gun, you gain respect all around you. You receive Victory Points which represents fame, respect…

Blue space? If you have a deal with the Police, they will provide you help and protection. You will be given one gun resource every round.

Red space? If you invade the Police station, you will gain many gun resources (you take guns and armor from the armory) and what is more, you gain one Victory Point. You invaded Police! Man, that rocks! Your fame raise…

Easy to understand? Easy to imagine? Different possibilities, choices?

Let’s look again, other card… There is a Pub. Do you want to Invade it? Have a Deal with it? Have it as a Location in your State?

These symbols are cards. So you can Invade Pub, interrogate people before you kill them, and have 3 new cards (red space). New cards = new locations to find on the horizon. These customers from Pub had told you – before you killed them – what was interesting near the pub. You got information. You got 3 new cards.

Blue space is special skill that let you have more choices during drawing cards in a future. You know people in Pub, you have a Deal with them, you exchange information about places around…

White (main) part of the card? You gain one card every turn. You have the Pub. You have place where gossip and information can be found every day.

So here is the first, brief explanation of fundament of the 51st State. In a few days I will post another – more deep – presentation of the rules.

If you have any questions – feel free. Happy to answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Exploiting schoolchildren for work? That's darkly hilarious. Where do I pre-order? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Ignacy. You've captured my interest.

Eagerly waiting for the next installment. Will you be explaining the other parts of the card, the arrow and the little symbols in the tan area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Yes, I want to cover all important parts of rules. Not all rules, but all important mechanism so you can get the image of flow of the game, and possibilities you - as a players - have during the play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ignacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three questions ringing in my head right now:

1. How do the players interact?

2. Who wins? Player with most Victory Points, I assume, but how do you get them? We've seen the card that gives them, but is there any other way of getting these points?

3. Are all the cards locations, or are there some units? So is the game only about gathering resources, or is there a place for some offensive strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also curious to hear about what you can DO with resources. Honor/VP is self-explanatory, as are cards. But, what can I DO with the child labor I'm exploiting? What can I DO with the guns the police are providing me?

Looks interesting so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ad1. Interaction is provided in two ways.
A. during draft, when players take new cards, they have to be very carefull to look which cards CAN NOT be taken by opponent!
B. during the game, players can send workers (from school ) to Locations (cards) of other players to use them.

ad2. There are many many different actions that give you VP. You need to earn 30 to win.

ad3. Almost all cards ae locations - you build your "country".

I will describe in more details this topics in a few days. I need to write a good description so you can get the idea of the game and I will post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Martín
Spain
flag msg tools
I don't know if it's already been stated elsewhere, but since this seems to be the de facto Q&A thread...

Will the game be language independant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There are card titles in English. No more txt on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignacy,
I sent you a geekmail. Please let me know if you received it. Thank you !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the difference between making a deal with the school and putting the same card in your state been explained yet ?

I read the other parts from Ignacy but couldn't figure out... since School is a "closed" card (other players can't play on it), right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Rutkowski
Poland
poznan
wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chatbus wrote:
Has the difference between making a deal with the school and putting the same card in your state been explained yet ?

Putting card in your state gives you VP, then you can redevelop this card and gain additional VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.