Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaving in about an hour to go camping. We're passing through Buffalo, NY from Toronto on the way to Allegany State Park. Are there any great board game stores worth checking out on the way? I'm particularly interested in places that may have a fair amount of out of print, or difficult to find games.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. The Buffalo folks that attend our Rochester meetings buy at Millennium.

My understanding is there are store(s) there, but none have great selection. I could be wrong though.

If you're taking the thruway, I'd suggest stopping off in Rochester at the W. Henrietta exit and going to Millennium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what Rik said.

i actually had this very discussion a few weeks ago, when my roommate's sister spent the week visiting. she was very pleased at all the cool gaming stores here in rochester versus the one crappy selection in buffalo.

and lucky for her, monthly boardgame day was the second day she was here

oh the stores in rochester:
millenium (probably the biggest, best selection)
boldo's armory (small, decent selection, often has an odor that has made me turn around and go elsewhere)
pair-a-dice games (new store, small but nice)
park avenue comics and games (also new, very small game selection, but nice)
crazy egor's still operates a small storefront out in hilton but mostly does cons and online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Autovino
United States
Sodus
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boldos Armory does not have any odors when I have been there. Plus, all of their board games are 10% below retail. You can go in and play any game from a huge collection of opened games. Check it out if you are in the area (Rochester, NY).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony procacci
United States
salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boldos is a great store to visit and game in.. I have never noticed any oder in the store... great people... great store I always have a great time when i go there..
Maybe the odor you were smelling was your upper lip??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jester's Cap on Walden is pretty far out of Buffalo, maybe a 10 minute drive beyond the airport. They are fully loaded with Games Workshop, miniatures and RPGs. But they also have board games...a decent mixture of the most popular board games (Euros, FFG, DOW, etc.). Nothing spectacular I guess, but a decent small to mid sized shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
iron crown games on main st between the university of buffalo and hertel avenue carries euro games and a pretty good selection, rio grande, fantasy flight, mayfair etc, it is a little store in an old house similar to boldos in rochester so he wont have multiply copies of games. for those who live in buffalo he will order games with a deposit. they are cash only also in order to keep operating costs down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony and Chrissy Hartman
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
petermc wrote:
The Jester's Cap on Walden is pretty far out of Buffalo, maybe a 10 minute drive beyond the airport. They are fully loaded with Games Workshop, miniatures and RPGs. But they also have board games...a decent mixture of the most popular board games

While all of the above may be true, I strongly recommend against shopping at Jester's Cap Games.

I was excited when they opened and went there often with my friends, but it didn't take long for them to completely turn me off.

Their employees are consistently rude and unfriendly. They have no qualms about letting you know that you're not welcome. They act as though you are bothering them, like you've rudely walked into their house unannounced and interrupted dinner.

I have had to tear employees away from the computer, pull them off of games, or interrupt gregarious conversations with their friends to get them to show me a product, restock inventory, or (heaven forbid!) cash me out!

I have had employees tell me to wait until they've finished playing a game to get help. I've been given incorrect information about products. One of my friends special ordered a game. After months with no word he called only to discover that it had come in weeks ago.

This is a terrible store. They're not interested in building a relationship with their customers and supporting repeat customers in their hobby. They're after big bucks and that's it. If you're not there to plunk down a boatload of money on Magic cards or WarHammer minis, then they don't want to see you. Even if you are there to make a big purchase, don't ask for support. They are rude and loathe to offer accommodations like space for painting or help in assembling minis.

Contrast that with other stores that have designated areas for painting or who are proactive in offering help in assembly.

Shop online, drive to Rochester, do whatever it takes to avoid giving these jerks money. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid at all costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bacher
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
zzini wrote:
iron crown games on main st between the university of buffalo and hertel avenue carries euro games and a pretty good selection, rio grande, fantasy flight, mayfair etc, it is a little store in an old house similar to boldos in rochester so he wont have multiply copies of games. for those who live in buffalo he will order games with a deposit. they are cash only also in order to keep operating costs down.

The guy at Iron Crown is the best. I've called there asking for obscure stuff and he has got it in stock and calls me back within days, no down payment or anything. He gives me an insane deal every time I go through him as he knows we/I can just get stuff on the internet for super cheap. He has a much better selection than Jester Cap and I always feel welcome in Iron Crown by the staff as opposed to ignored in Jester. I really feel this guy deserves any business the gaming community can give him. Not too sure about his ability to get hard to find and out of print stuff. I may test him on my quest to find a copy or two of Fjords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
Canada
flag msg tools
In Niagara Falls, New York, I came across a store called House of Fantasy. It is located at 1709 Pine Avenue. The owner is very friendly and will order anything you want to the store. He has a good selection already and is always willing to expand it.

I'm from west of Toronto and given the friendliness of the interaction I'm planning on having him order games in for me as I don't mind crossing the border to pick them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tis quite hard indeed to find one.
Iron Crown seems like it's run by a great guy (he puts his family before his business), but that also results in being closed on Monday and Tuesday. I ultimately support it and applaud him. Just bad timing for us this vacation week.

If you're in the area on a Wednesday+, then I'd def check him out. Maybe we'll have a meetup there sometime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niagara Hobby
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Niagara Hobby stocks games, mainly miniature wargames (such as warmachine/hordes) and the Fantasy Flight Games (X-Wing and Netrunner are particularly popular.

Additionally we have weekly game nights (tues/fri for mini wargames,and thurs for board/x-wing/netrunner) as well as monthly tournaments for Warmahordes, Netrunner and X-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm going to Buffalo this weekend, so what's the general consensus? I'd love to go to Millenium in Rochester, but I don't think the wife wants to go that far.

So Iron Crown in Buffalo and Niagara Hobby in Niagara Falls are the best choices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cantwell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello all -- this is The Iron Crown guy in person.

Of course, I would encourage you to come in and see what I have. I keep in stock a wide variety of war & board game titles, heavy on the more popular ones but I have lots of the more eclectic ones on hand as well. There are a good number of older out-of-print (OOP) titles present, but dealing in OOP games is like catching the wind.

OOP titles in general are a tricky matter, with many reasons for that condition, usually based on the publishers' bottom line. A current game being OOP is actually a good thing -- that means it sold out it's current run and is ripe for reprinting as is, or often as a second edition with errata corrected. It's often just a matter of time before a good game re-appears -- Betrayal at House on the Hill comes to mind. OOP older games have had their time in the sun, and unless it's something like Fortress America or Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa, will likely remain OOP unless picked up by a new owner as those two were.

I'm open 11-6 Wed-Sun, and you can always call ahead (716) 831-0957

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Titran
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth updating this thread now that Dave & Adam's has a huge store on Sheridan Dr.. Mostly euros (as far as gaming stuff goes, it's actually mostly sports memorabilia) and a tremendous open gaming space that they graciously let use on the first Saturday of the month. Well worth checking out!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colling
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Collectors Inn In Buffalo has a large selection of boardgames and can always special order which usually only takes a few days depending on what day you place it. They are located at 3107 Deleware ave. In kenmore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Nehring
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Down in Eden, about 30 minutes south, there is Fathe & Son Cards which is mostly MTG and the like. They usually have a small collection of board games for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Smith
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
UPDATE with new address for Dragon Snack Games

Holy Thread Necromancy Batman! Well, since the last reply was only 2 months ago and nobody has mentioned my store yet, allow me a little self promotion...

(UPDATE)
Dragon Snack Games
3908 Maple Road
(UPDATE)

500+ board game SKUs (plus RPGs, minis, and paint)

And, just so I'm not entirely mercenary, there's also a brand new store in Lockport with a board game focus...

Casual Dragon Games
136 Walnut Street

Also, I believe Father and Sons (mentioned in the previous post) just changed hands and has been renamed Genesis Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls