Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I showed you three ways of bringing a card into play – you can Invade it, you can have a Deal with it or you can Attach it to your State.

In a fact there is a forth way of bringing the card into a play. It is called Redevelopment and is a very important action. You develop your State, you change old Locations into new ones. How does it work?

Every card has a type. There are Weapon cards, Fuel cards, Scrap cards… Let me show you three cards of one type. Let it be… Weapon. I like them a lot.

As you can see, Honky Tonk gives you one Gun resource. El Pueblo can will give you one Gun resource if you discard a card. Guns Trader will give you a Victory Point if you discard a Gun resource.

And there comes a moment during the game, you don’t need El Pueblo. You can not afford discarding cards. You need to change something in your State!

That’s where Redevelopment comes. You can discard El Pueblo and paying one Brick resource you bring into a play a new card of that type. Let us bring…

Arena gives you as many Gun resources, as many Gun type cards you have in play. At the beginning of the game it is weak, but now, when you have three Gun type cards in play, Arena will give you three GUNs every turn. It is a good card. It was worth to change this old village (El Pueblo) into a great Arena! You develop.

And...

What is more, every card in the game can bring you Victory Points only three times. This is my very important decision as a designer. I don’t want players to create a one strong combo and do it every turn till the end of the game. Your combo will work three times and it is over. You need to develop. You need to change. You need to look for new ways of earning Victory Points. This game makes you think all the time. You search how to be better in every turn. Every great card combination you bring into play, will have to be changed and upgraded.

So, back to our State. We have such a cards now:

So you produce GUN resources and you have a Gun Trader who changes them into Victory Points. He will do it three times and it is over. No more Victory Points. You need to redevelop. So you look for a card of GUN type and…

Your Gun Trader won’t bring you any more Victory Points, so you redevelop him. You change him into Gun Shop. Gun Shop will give you 2 Victory Points for every two GUNs. You develop. Your State is getting bigger. Stronger. You see that.

Whole idea I wanted in 51st State is to make players think all the time. To not create one combo and play it 5 times in a row, till the end of the game. I want them to develop their State, to play with imagination, to change one cards with better cards, to see how their State is growing. And it works.

You have El Pueblo, but you open there an Arena. You have a Gun Trader, but after a moment you redvelop it into Gun Shop. Your growing. It is a great feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold! When will this be available in the US?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as we find distributor
We will present the game in Essen and I hope some distributor will be interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! Considering the rate this game is rising on The Hotness list I would think distributors would be falling over eachother to pick this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting ideas. I like it. And I highly approve of your iconography, too. It's easy to understand. I should think you would have no problems finding an American publisher.

One question: is there something on the card that shows that you have to have 1 Brick to Redevelop? Or are buildings always redeveloped using a brick resource?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is a general rule - every building you redevelop with one Brick resource. No need to put this information on the card.

Thank you for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting.
But I am wondering: Why not just build the best card from the start? Why would I ever build El Pueblo if I have the Arena in my hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Rutkowski
Poland
poznan
wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
Looks very interesting.
But I am wondering: Why not just build the best card from the start? Why would I ever build El Pueblo if I have the Arena in my hand?

There are at least 2 reasons to do it:
1. As you can can there are numbers on cards (1, 2 or 3). I am sure Ignacy will tell about it but it's easier to build card with number 1 than 3. But those numbers don't matter when you redevelop. Sometimes it easier to build 1 and redevelop 3 on it than build 3.
2. You got additional Victory Points for redevelop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
badge
γνῶθι σεαυτόν
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
Why not just build the best card from the start?

It is not so easy - look at arrows with numbers in the center of each card. Highest numbers are more difficult to play. Gun Trader is easy to play at the begining of the game - it will take you one or two turns to build up the Gun Shop. Redeployment is often more efficient way to build stongest cards.

Remember also what Ignacy said - even most powerful card will score only 3 times. So if you build powerful location in first turn (what is possible) it will be difficult to score it (look at the example - it will be quite easy to spend spare gun for victory point... but gather and score two guns at early stage of the game? rather not).

It is natural flow of the game. First you gather easy and weak locations nearby, than you reach for better, stronger ones. Works quite fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
I had hoped for an answer like this...
Actually I had hoped to extract more information out of you guys, but I guess I just have to wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:

What is more, every card in the game can bring you Victory Points only three times.

How will players now how many times they have used a giving_VPs_card? Will there be some kind of counter or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Rutkowski
Poland
poznan
wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emancypator wrote:
trzewik wrote:

What is more, every card in the game can bring you Victory Points only three times.

How will players now how many times they have used a giving_VPs_card? Will there be some kind of counter or what?

You put those VP on these cards. Easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
badge
γνῶθι σεαυτόν
mbmbmbmbmb
emancypator wrote:
trzewik wrote:

Will there be some kind of counter or what?

No counter needed. Please take a look at picuters (e.g.)

Here you can see attatched cards below some of locations - here we go, these are VPs.

[edit]
[Marek is faster again! Good Morning Marek ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Rutkowski
Poland
poznan
wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cnidius wrote:
[Marek is faster again! Good Morning Marek ]

Good Morning Rafal. Yes, I am at work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now is the number of times you use the skill of a location only 3 or is it number of turns you use it, IE you use the gun shop on 3 turns but have 4 guns in one turn to turn into 4 VP's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.